Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been reading the witchhunters codex and as a devout follower of the inquisition have decided to base my daemonhunters force around an 'infantry' based army which includes witch hunters. so here goes:

HQ

1 Brother Captain
- 4 Terminator retinue
- 1 with incinerator

Cannones (will join the seraphim unit)
- jump pack
- inferno pistol
- power weapon

FAST ATTACK

10 Grey knights
- Justicar inc.
- 2 incinerators

10 Grey knights
- Justicar inc.
- 2 incinerators

10 Seraphim
- sister superior
- 2 inferno pistols

TROOPS

10 battle sisters
- Veteran
- flamer
- stormbolter

10 battle sisters
- Veteran
- Flamer
- Stormbolter

The basic plan is to have the battle sisters hold the line long enough for the seraphim/cannoness to engage enemy tanks with their inferno pistols and for the 20 grey knights and 5 termies to deepstrike and engage enemy infantry/shooting/assault squads etc.

The army is purely 'infantry' (counting the jump packs as man sized models) which looks cool.
There is a total of approx. 52 models

Regards

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Indeed, this is an illegal Daemonhunters list. Remember, your parent army must satisfy the minimum of 1 HQ and 2 Troops choices before you can add any allied troops. To make it Daemonhunters legal, you'd need to move your GKs into the Troops slots -- no teleporting!

However, you can make it a legal Witch Hunters army by moving just one unit of GKs into troops. (You can take up to 1 Fast Attack choice and 2 Troop choices from allies.)

I've been taking an allied unit of Seraphim with my DH since almost day 1, and I wouldn't put a jump pack cannoness with them. Doing so, you lose their Hit and Run special ability, and that is AWESOME. Jump into range, blast 'em with Divine Guidance, assault, jump back out and repeat the process, and all with minimal risk to your Seraphim. It's MURDER, even on the toughest of enemies. You won't be able to do all that with the cannoness joined up. I'd either leave her independent -- give her the Cloak of St Aspira while you're at it! -- or drop the jump pack and join her up with some SoB or Celestians.

·
Simple Green.
969 Posts
If you switch it around (WH parent list), what you have is legal (I believe). Also, yea, have the Canoness seperate from the Seraphim so they can still hit and run.

Looks fine for how you want it (pure infantry). Remember to use 'dem faith points too, they really can come in handy sometimes.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
interesting!!

Ok...so i make one grey knights choice into a troop choice (that way i have only one allied FA choice) and drop the cannoness from the seraphim. The main reason i wanted to utilise witch hunters was because their battle sisters are only slightly more expensive then inquisitorial stormtroopers (which are still too imperial guard-like for me) and less then half the points of grey knights.

On that note, i need to keep the cannoness somewhere so as to use the witch hunters as a parent list....but where do i put her??

Also, where does it say the maximum allied troop limits? i.e. 2 troop, i FA etc. I must have missed that one somewhere.

I've also been in corespondance with a games-workshop member of staff (customer support or something) discussing this army and he suggested dropping all grey knights to troop choices, add in psycannons, make them footslog it, deduct 1-2 battle sisters squads (or the cannoness as i have no need for her anymore) and stick in a witch hunters heavy support......please comment

Regards

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Captain.Snowball said:
On that note, i need to keep the cannoness somewhere so as to use the witch hunters as a parent list....but where do i put her??
You've got two SoB squads. Drop a model from one of them and join the Cannoness up.
Or, find the points to get her a Celestian retinue -- flamers and more flamers -- and drop 'em in an Immolator.
Or, as I said earlier, keep her more or less as currently equipped and keep her independent. If you keep all your SoB VSs, too, you'd have 5 faith points, which you can use to help protect her and to kill off anything shy of a C'Tan. Really, an independent jump-packed Cannoness with the right gear and a few faith points can wreck anything.

Captain.Snowball said:
Also, where does it say the maximum allied troop limits? i.e. 2 troop, i FA etc. I must have missed that one somewhere.
Don't have either codex handy, so I'm not sure of the page numbers. Look for the gray shaded box where it talks about with whom your WH and DH can ally, and how many units and of what type may ally.

Captain.Snowball said:
I've also been in corespondance with a games-workshop member of staff (customer support or something) discussing this army and he suggested dropping all grey knights to troop choices, add in psycannons, make them footslog it, deduct 1-2 battle sisters squads (or the cannoness as i have no need for her anymore) and stick in a witch hunters heavy support......please comment
Here's what I said in another thread on the subject of footslogging GKs with psycannons:
number6 said:
I'm one of those who feels that psycannons on footslogging models is a waste of points. (Unless the footslogger is a terminator or an inquisitor dedicated to being a firebase/firesupport unit.) You're spending as many points on each psycannon as you would on another GK model, and what you give up on the GK models to have a psycannon to begin with -- STR 6 NFW, True Grit, the stormbolter -- is not worth the trade off. As you march, your psycannon has less range, and you could instead have a second GK -- complete with STR 6 NFW, etc. Meaning that for the cost of 1 psycannon -- 3 admittedly potent shots at short range -- you could have two GKs, 4 stormbolter shots (at longer range), AND more than 4x the CC punch that the single psycannon-weilding GK has.
As for WH heavy support: I think that the Exorcist is the Best Tank Ever. Get two of them. Nasty.

That said, you can't lose either SoB squad and still have a WH army! Your list would therefore revert to Daemonhunters (GKs as Troops), and then you couldn't take allied Heavy Support units. So your GW employee is giving you advice that will make your list ILLEGAL. (Painful that a GW employee feels free to give horrible advice like that.)

You need to decide whether you are playing Witch Hunters or Daemonhunters. If the former, you must keep the SoB squads, and then you can have up to 1 GK Fast Attack. If the latter, you must move both GK units out of Fast Attack and into Troops (no teleporting) and you can't take any WH Heavy Support. If these decisions are too painful to make, then maybe you need to reconsider your entire army list.

·
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coool!!

I have been reading about the exorcist tank and dam is it nasty!!

But on the subject, i have decided that dropping the psycannons on the grey knights would be smart. So i will end up having 2 units of 10 grey knights inc. a Justicar each and 2 units of sisters of battle Inc. sister superior each. That makes a grand total of 40 pretty elite infantry models marching across the battlefield!!

I will keep the brother captain/termie retinue unit as deepstrikers and keep the 10 strong unit of seraphim with their twin inferno pistols.

I will also give the cannoness a jump pack, a power weapon and pistol of some sort and she can zip around being a pain in everyones collective ass.

To finish about 2000 points i will add in maybe 1-2 excorcist tanks and an immolator (the immolator as an infantry squasher with it's twin heavy flamers).

Hope this is a strong, characterful, legal and above all fun army.

P.S. i can't find a picture of the excorcist anywhere!! even the online store doesn't have the model.

Regards

·
I am a free man!
4,941 Posts
Captain.Snowball said:
But on the subject, i have decided that dropping the psycannons on the grey knights would be smart. So i will end up having 2 units of 10 grey knights inc. a Justicar each and 2 units of sisters of battle Inc. sister superior each. That makes a grand total of 40 pretty elite infantry models marching across the battlefield!!
I like it!
Captain.Snowball said:
I will keep the brother captain/termie retinue unit as deepstrikers
Excellent.
Captain.Snowball said:
and keep the 10 strong unit of seraphim with their twin inferno pistols.
I personally prefer the hand flamers and use the Seraphim as assault troops, rather than equip them for anti-armor. But there's a recent, most excellent thread on exactly this topic over in the Witch Hunters forum.
Captain.Snowball said:
I will also give the cannoness a jump pack, a power weapon and pistol of some sort and she can zip around being a pain in everyones collective ass.
Excellent.
Captain.Snowball said:
To finish about 2000 points i will add in maybe 1-2 excorcist tanks and an immolator (the immolator as an infantry squasher with it's twin heavy flamers).
If you take an immolator, I'd consider dropping a SoB squad to 6 models and exchanging a stormbolter for another flamer. That's a world of flaming hurt, especially if you can afford a Faith point to invoke Divine Guidance when you assault with them.

EDIT! I always make this mistake until I get the WH codex directly in front of me. (I only ally with WH units, and, so far, never a vanilla SoB unit.) The minimum size for a SoB squad is 10 models, so a standard SoB squad can't ride in an Immolator. Still, Immolators make nice flaming tanks of doom.
Captain.Snowball said:
Hope this is a strong, characterful, legal and above all fun army.
Most definitely.
Captain.Snowball said:
P.S. i can't find a picture of the excorcist anywhere!! even the online store doesn't have the model.
The exorcist was a limited edition model and is no longer offered. There are images on the Games Workshop website and one in the WH codex under the section detailing the upgrades of SoB vehicles. The "official" version of it makes it look like it has a pipe organ installed on the roof. I've heard of people using the Space Marine Whirlwind as Exorcists. Otherwise, eBay might be your best option for tracking down the original model.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts