Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This looks like a fun list and I'm just curious what changes might make it more effective.

I am also curious what squad you think I should leave in reserve (I would plan on leaving 1squad of termagants and the hormagaunt squad in reserve just in case one comes out too early).

HQ
Hive Tyrant
2x TL-Devourers

Hive Guard 3

380pts

Elites
Deathleaper

140pts

Lictor Brood 2

130pts

Ymgarl Genestealers 8

184pts

Troops
Genestealers 10

140pts

Termagants 15

75pts

Termagants 15

75pts

Hormagaunts 17
Toxin Sacs

136pts

Heavy Support
Trygon Prime

240pts

1500pts.

Model Count and is pretty low and its scary only having 2 synapse, but the strategy is to utilize all the special deployment rules and really bother my opponent by getting up close and coming for areas that were not initially expected.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I was under the impression that hive guard are an Elites slot only? Not terribly sure what to tell you there.

I would run the Termigaunts and Hive tyrant on the field with your hive guard. Move them up, give something for your opponent to think about. Also since you have so few units to deploy initially you can make optimal use of cover. Also, this way you can begin gunning down opponent transports earlier.

The hormagaunts would be best coming out of that trygon-hole.

Perhaps infitrate the stealers? Not sure how that would go though, they would likely just get shot up.

·
Bugs'r us!
1,242 Posts
Looking at the costs, he meant Tyrant Guard...

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Edit: Ninja'd again!

I belive he means tyrant guard, they seem to be pointed that way, although i make it 370 not 380. If they are hive guard, then alzer is correct they should be elites.

Speaking of which, you dont need 3 TG, one or two would do fine. But which is up to you. Hive guard are fantastic for what they do, and id always recogmend 3 of them.

Id also go for dropping the lictors in exchange for zoanthropes in a pod, or possibly doom in a pod if you dont want to spend extra.

Regular stealers dont tend to work well when infiltrated from my experience, and without 4+ saves they get bolterd to hell and back. Id outflank them, but if you can get an infiltrate that blocks LOS then go for it.

As for hormaguants and trying to put them through a trygon hole, i belive thats very risky becasue its very hard to get the trygon down a trun before the hormaguants. On the basis that you have to roll for reserves every turn. However if it does work its brutally effective.

And if you want to use a special deployment then go for a mawloc, thats the master of cropping up in perculiar places and disturbing the opponents plans.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This looks like a fun list and I'm just curious what changes might make it more effective.

I am also curious what squad you think I should leave in reserve (I would plan on leaving 1squad of termagants and the hormagaunt squad in reserve just in case one comes out too early).

Is the TL-Devourer a good build anymore? The only reason I have it in this list is because it is the model I have.

HQ
Hive Tyrant
2x TL-Devourers

Tyrant Guard 2
(Sorry about the confusion, does anyone else feel like GW was a little lazy with the hive guard model ie. looks like a tyrant guard with a gun.)
320pts

Elites
Deathleaper

140pts

Doom of Malan'tai with a Mycetic Spore

130pts

Ymgarl Genestealers 8

184pts

Troops
Genestealers 10
(Possibly exchange for another hormagaunt or termagant squad and deep striking spore mines)
140pts

Termagants 15

75pts

Termagants 15

75pts

Hormagaunts 17
Toxin Sacs

136pts

Heavy Support
Trygon Prime

240pts

1500pts.

Model Count and is pretty low and its scary only having 2 synapse, but the strategy is to utilize all the special deployment rules and really bother my opponent by getting up close and coming for areas that were not initially expected.
The hope is that I will be able to get 1 of my troops, the termagants or the hormagaunts to come later then the Tyrgon and if both come at the same time or earlier then they will be used to hold rear objectives or perhaps I'll try to catch them up to the tyrant.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I'm rather curious what you're going to do against a mechanized list.

Actually I really like the hive-guard model, seems they fit a similar roll, be big, tough and guard something. Though the hive guard, instead of moving forward and being a bodyguard, stand in one place and shoot everything that comes close.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use the old ed of tyrant guard so they will look different if i ever get the money together for hive guard.

against mech most likely I wouldn't have a lot that can kill tanks, or transports. I would try to isolate part of my opponents army and use choke points to my advantage. Back in 4th ed. (BRB) i had a lot of success against Rhino rushes by taking out specific targets and turning areas into bottlenecks. Those were much different lists and rules though.

Right now I added Doom Instead of 2 zoanthropes because of points, but most likely if i was going to hope to kill some vehicles early on i would switch out for the Zoanthropes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts