Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a very basic/generic list IMO. It has suited me well so far but I can't help but feel like something in the list just isnt right, maybe you can help. any comments are GREATLY accepted. good and bad. If there is something wrong, please let me know. The idea of this list is very simple, out number and overrun. This is in all respects a Goffs list. tell me what you think.

Warboss - Power Klaw, 'Eavy Armour, Cybork Body - 100pts
I dunno if there would be any other way to kit him. He's tough, he's cheap, he's effective. He will be running with the nobz in the trukk.

Warphead
This guy may be random and given me grief, but man he's made up his points in countless battles thus far. he usually runs with a unit of boyz. his purpose all depends on his roll.

5 Nobz, 1 Painboy - stikkbombz, cybork bodies, 'eavy armour, 3 big choppas, Power klaw, waaagh! banner, trukk(grott riggers, red paint job) - 311pts
When paired with the Warboss this band of greenskins has not failed me. normally holding back as a counter charge unit in the trukk, they have been very good to me. They are hard to kill and generally demolish whatever they run into.

14 kommandos - burna, nob (Power klaw, 'eavy armour) - 195pts
This unit was chosen mainly for thier looks, the nob model is by far my favorite model for the orks currently, this unit is a great "tip of the spear" unit. They generally are killed but they get their job done by being a thorn in the opponents side until the rest of my mobs get into place.

30 slugga, choppa boyz - 2 rokkit launchas, stikkbombs, nob (Power klaw, 'eavy amrour) - 270pts
30 slugga, choppa boyz - 2 rokkit launchas, stikkbombs, nob (Power klaw, 'eavy amrour) - 270pts
30 shoota boyz - 3 big shootas, stikkbombs, nob (Power klaw, 'eavy amrour) - 265pts
Well these boyz are pretty much the meat and potatos of my army. Its been really hard to stop them so far. my rokkits generally blow up any armour that could be annoying, the shootas and big shootas tend to thin the opponents numbers before i get there. Overall these guys rock. paired with the warphaed, one of the units becomes very unpredictable and usually frustrates my opponent while everyone else just hauls across the board, and sometimes i get the extra waaagh! to move even faster. if my line starts to break the trukk o' nobs and warboss will step in and clean up.

This army has been really effective. if the other side is really tough yet few in numbers, i usually out number them, necrons depend on being able to get back up, yet not one necron player has ever gotten a will be back roll since i either wipe out the unit or just make it where they pretty much need snake eyes to make their test. Against other swarm armies, though my BS skill is so low, i still tend to thin them out enouh with all the weaponry, sometimes I switch out my warphead for a big mek with a force field if i know we will be playing in wide open areas. so what do you think?

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Interesting

This is a very interesting list, although one thing I can see you definitely need is a bosspole on the warboss. The bosspole will give you the crucial rerolls on leadership checks. Although you might not lose many combats, you could potentially fail pinning tests, and morale tests from shooting casualties. I like the idea to keep them back for the counter-assault. It's a great strategy.

As for the rest of the army, it has relatively few units, but it does have a lot of staying power, and brutal simplicity. I'd still cut down the mobz of boys to 23-25 each, and get rid of the stikkbombs, so you can have enough points to field a fourth unit of boyz (shoota boyz would be best).

I'd also recommend getting rid of the kommandos (they just aren't effective enough in smaller games) and replacing them with some good anti-armor fire. Either lootas, tankbustas, warbikes or rokkit buggies will work best.

Here's my verison of your list:

HQ:

Warboss w/powerklaw, cybork body, 'eavy armor, bosspole

Warp 'ead

ELITE:

10 Lootas or Tankbustas

Nobz exactly as they are below, only without grott riggers

FAST

Rokkit buggy

Rokkit buggy

TROOP

24 Shoota boyz w/2 rokkits and nob w/pk and bosspole

23 Slugga boyz w/2 big shootas and nob w/pk and bosspole

You could also break down the 10 man elite team into two teams of 5. In either case, put them behind cover, and they'll annoy your opponent really good.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a very interesting list, although one thing I can see you definitely need is a bosspole on the warboss. The bosspole will give you the crucial rerolls on leadership checks. Although you might not lose many combats, you could potentially fail pinning tests, and morale tests from shooting casualties. I like the idea to keep them back for the counter-assault. It's a great strategy.

As for the rest of the army, it has relatively few units, but it does have a lot of staying power, and brutal simplicity. I'd still cut down the mobz of boys to 23-25 each, and get rid of the stikkbombs, so you can have enough points to field a fourth unit of boyz (shoota boyz would be best).

I'd also recommend getting rid of the kommandos (they just aren't effective enough in smaller games) and replacing them with some good anti-armor fire. Either lootas, tankbustas, warbikes or rokkit buggies will work best.

Here's my verison of your list:

HQ:

Warboss w/powerklaw, cybork body, 'eavy armor, bosspole

Warp 'ead

ELITE:

10 Lootas or Tankbustas

Nobz exactly as they are below, only without grott riggers

FAST

Rokkit buggy

Rokkit buggy

TROOP

You could also break down the 10 man elite team into two teams of 5. In either case, put them behind cover, and they'll annoy your opponent really good.
Yeah, bosspoles were a concern of mine, if i get rid of the stikkbombz i can easily add the bosspoles. with the extra points i could try and finagel a rokkit launcha squad in there but im not a big fan of lootas, they really don have the range for a heavy weapon and having the BS they do, i prefer not to have depend on many ranged squads. Grot riggers have been very usful especially for their points, maybe i can do without it. taking out the kommandos and droping all the squads to 25 could give me enough points to add another 25 ork squad, hmm, thats very possible.... thanks! is there anything else?

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Just in case

I just want to reinforce that for the warboss accompanying the nobz, the bosspole should be considered an absolute necessity. Even if you easily win every combat, you could have a single unfortunate enemy shooting phase, Chaos Marines could use lash on you, you could be forced to take leadership saves by Necron, you could be hit by weird 'anything under the template dies' effects in the shooting phase, you could be robbed of kills in the assault phase by lucky 'invulnerable save' rolls, or be pinned down by snipers.

There are a lot of reasons your nobz/boss can be forced to make a leadership save, and although his leadership is good, there are a lot of factors that can drive it down. The bosspole has saved my nobz/boss more than once, and should always be used in smaller units, that don't benefit from mob rule. It's honestly more important than the wauugghh banner. Take both. ^_^

With the other teams of trukk and footslogging boyz, it's up to you. The bosspole can help, but it isn't a necessity in larger groups.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
or he could put the boss pole on the nobs instead? Maybe to encourage people to attack the nobs and not the boss... or maybe you would rather they attack the boss >.<

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Personal taste

or he could put the boss pole on the nobs instead? Maybe to encourage people to attack the nobs and not the boss... or maybe you would rather they attack the boss >.<
Can the nobz take a bosspole on their own? I thought they couldn't, as there isn't a clear leader of the team, but I could very well be wrong. I'll have to take a look at the codex when I get home.

If they have that option, then yes, it makes more sense to place the bosspole on the nobz, so they aren't left hanging if the warboss dies.

It also improves the option of placing the warboss in a trukk of regular boyz as well. In my lists, I usually leave a space open in a trukk of slugga boyz, as well as in the nob trukk, so I have the option to attack with two reasonably powerful forces, rather than one really powerful force, depending on the situation. I previously thought that this choice would leave the nobz without a bosspole, but I'm most likely mistaken.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, the nobs can have thier own bosspole

1 - 7 of 7 Posts