Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'll get straight to the point here:

Wolf Lord - 2 Power Fists, Terminator Armour, Runic Charm, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, Belt of Russ - 186

4 Wolf Guard Bodyguard - 4x Terminator Armour, 2x Thunder Hammers + Storm Shields, 2x Twin Lightning Claws - 210

Venerable Dreadnought - Plasma Cannon - 165

Dreadnought - Twin-Linked Lascannon - 135

Dreadnought - Assault Cannon - 115

6 Grey Hunters - B/CCW, Plasma Gun, Flamer, Razorback w/TL Lascannon) - 201

6 Grey Hunters - B/CCW, Plasma Gun, Flamer, Razorback w/TL Assault Cannon - 201

8 Blood Claws - Power Fist, Power Weapon, Rhino - 112

Landspeeder - Multi-Melta - 60

The Razorback, Landspeeders and the TL LC Dreadnoughts account for anti-tank, while the other Razorback and Dreadnoughts provide ranged anti-infantry support for the combat units. The transports offer the Grey Hunters and Blood Claws enough protection that they will be able to get a good deal closer to the enemy and as there's 3 units, destroying one won't hurt too much. In case you were wondering, the Venerable Dreadnought will count as a HQ choice.

Comments and Criticisms welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

~ Demon in White

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
Wolf Lord - 2 Power Fists, Terminator Armour, Runic Charm, Wolf Tooth Necklace, Wolf Tail Talisman, Belt of Russ - 186
This guy is insanely expensive. How about.. Thunder Hammer/Assault Cannon/Terminator Armor/Pelt (he might have to be a wolf guard battle leader to do this, I'm not sure.)

4 Wolf Guard Bodyguard - 4x Terminator Armour, 2x Thunder Hammers + Storm Shields, 2x Twin Lightning Claws - 210
Ehh, strom shields being selected from the space wolves armory makes me not like them much. I'd much rather have 7 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armor, 3 with assault Cannons. Possibly some single lighten claws, strom bolters, powerswords, thrown in, maybe some wolf pelts.

That or not use terminators in this low of a point total game.

I guess this is a reasonable choice. Why not also give him a Missile launcher? If your advancing him, I'd give him an assault cannon as I remember that being the best deal.

A predator with twinlinked lascannon is 30 points less, each. Reconsider this unit selection. For anti tank, use multi melta attack bikes.

Not a fan without a drop pod/heavy flamer.

Don't like the weapon selections for the razorbacks. Are you sure you can take a plasma gun and flamer? I don't have my copy of the wolves codex. I don't see these as being very effective.

I'd go with 2 powerfists, you get them for almost free.

Attack bikes are cheaper, more durable, hide more easily, and can take on more opponents.

You could use more bodies overall, that's my biggest critique. Some pillbox predators and attack bikes could be a nice distraction to slip your transpots into combat. A predator with auto cannon/heavy bolters + attack bike with MM, is 135 points, and much more killy + strong then the dreads.

Good Luck.

·
404: Title not found
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This guy is insanely expensive. How about.. Thunder Hammer/Assault Cannon/Terminator Armor/Pelt (he might have to be a wolf guard battle leader to do this, I'm not sure.)
Yes, he is insanely expensive, but on the field he performs admirably. I could have made him less points if I wanted but I had the points floating and nothing else to spend them on.

Ehh, strom shields being selected from the space wolves armory makes me not like them much. I'd much rather have 7 Wolf Guard in Terminator Armor, 3 with assault Cannons. Possibly some single lighten claws, strom bolters, powerswords, thrown in, maybe some wolf pelts.

That or not use terminators in this low of a point total game.
Well, I wasn't sure about them either I have to confess and I am planning on changing them to normal Termies with Storm Bolters and Power Fists as I already have a fully painted unit of them. Come to think of it I don't know why I made them TH/SS in the first place.

I have to use Terminators though, they're too good not to.

I guess this is a reasonable choice. Why not also give him a Missile launcher? If your advancing him, I'd give him an assault cannon as I remember that being the best deal.
I don't like Missile Launchers on Dreadnoughts, it's a waste of their close combat potential and I don't like Missile Launchers anyway let alone as a replacement for the DCCW.

I might have considered giving him an assault cannon if I didn't already own the model for a FW Ven Dread with a plasma cannon ;)

A predator with twinlinked lascannon is 30 points less, each. Reconsider this unit selection. For anti tank, use multi melta attack bikes.
That's true, yes, but a predator with a twin-linked lascannon and nothing else is not only a waste of a predator, but a dreadnought can also assault and tarpit/destroy almost anything it comes up against. I prefer Dreadnoughts any day. Plus if I chose Predators that would leave my poor Termie unit stranded as the only footslogging unit in the army.

Not a fan without a drop pod/heavy flamer.
If I gave it a drop pod, it would be torn apart on the first turn by whatever anti-tank my opponent had. I agree that a heavy flamer might be a worthwhile choice though.

Don't like the weapon selections for the razorbacks. Are you sure you can take a plasma gun and flamer? I don't have my copy of the wolves codex. I don't see these as being very effective.
The assault cannon razorbacks can take out infantry excellently while the TL Lascannon can pop any tanks that get too close. The weapon selections are mainly to provide support for the infantry inside as much when they get out as while they're still embarked. And the other weapon choices are frankly deplorable.

I'd go with 2 powerfists, you get them for almost free.
This I will gladly take into account.

Attack bikes are cheaper, more durable, hide more easily, and can take on more opponents.
I find Attack Bikes die easier than Landspeeders in my experience, and they can't ignore terrain like Landspeeders can - they have to avoid it. Plus, I hate the models whereas I like Landspeeders.

You could use more bodies overall, that's my biggest critique. Some pillbox predators and attack bikes could be a nice distraction to slip your transpots into combat. A predator with auto cannon/heavy bolters + attack bike with MM, is 135 points, and much more killy + strong then the dreads.
The argument of not enough models is something that crops up quite often with my Eldar mech list and so far I haven't lost a single game with it ;)

A predator with autocannon and heavy bolters can't move and fire all its weapons, it has to remain stationary whereas a Dreadnought can move and fire as much as it wants. Dreadnoughts are excellent in assaults as well and are generally far more versatile than Predators. Attack Bikes I don't like because I dislike the models and they can't move over terrain like Speeders can, also I find Speeders more survivable.

Cheers,

~ Demon in White

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
I'll get straight to the point here:

The lord seems horribly expensive and he loses out on his greatest advantage, his high initiative. But it seem you already know that. Give the terminators runic charms so you don't lose them to bolters and the like.

You have an illegal army with 5 elites choices. Wolf guard take up one, and then you have 4 dreads. You can't use the ven dread as another HQ because its only a 1500pt game.

Thats really not a lot of troops and you can only have a single special weapon per grey hunter unit. You can't have a plasma gun and a flamer.

The Razorback, Landspeeders and the TL LC Dreadnoughts account for anti-tank, while the other Razorback and Dreadnoughts provide ranged anti-infantry support for the combat units. The transports offer the Grey Hunters and Blood Claws enough protection that they will be able to get a good deal closer to the enemy and as there's 3 units, destroying one won't hurt too much. In case you were wondering, the Venerable Dreadnought will count as a HQ choice.

Comments and Criticisms welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

~ Demon in White
I don't have any problems with the land speeders, but I agree that attack bikes might be better. Once again, though, at 1500 pts you can only have 2 HQ and 3 elites and you have either 2 hq and 5 elites or 3 hq and 4 elites, neither of which are legal.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
You have an illegal army with 5 elites choices. Wolf guard take up one, and then you have 4 dreads. You can't use the ven dread as another HQ because its only a 1500pt game.
I'm pretty sure there are only 2 HQ's in this list. But I think your right about the retinue counting as an elites for the wolves. If that's they case then you'd still be right about there being too many elites.

Good Catch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Personally, as a Wolves player and with 5th edition being nicer for H2H armies, beef your troop selections up, especially them Blood Claws! Whether they get attacked or Assault they get the bonus attack meaning 4 attacks each. Which is a whole lot more than what you're going to get out of them Dreds that get popped whole lot easier than a pack of 10-12 Bloodclaws with 2-3 PF's. Another thing, why aren't you using the scouts? I can kit of pack of 6 scouts with meltagun, 2 plasma, 3 bp's, 6 meltabombs, 2 pw's for less than two of your dreds and do more havoc/damage. The Greyhunters are fine as long as they don't get into H2H.

Remember one thing, once them bloodclaws are set in motion, they're like a bunch of locusts mowing through a cornfield.

Personally, since you have to have a HQ choice for every 750 pts, you have to keep that cost down as much as possible. Maybe a Wolf Priest to run with your Bloodclaws for the "Healing and potions" benefit.

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
I'm pretty sure there are only 2 HQ's in this list. But I think your right about the retinue counting as an elites for the wolves. If that's they case then you'd still be right about there being too many elites.

Good Catch.
You're right. There is only 2 HQ (Ven Dread and Wolf Lord) but there is still 4 elites as if you include any wolf guard in your army they take up an elites choice, no matter what you use them for.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Also, one more thing with your Wolf Lord...
When you're putting PF's especially two of them on your HQ you're kind of squandering his awesome skills, especially his BS. More importantly, you've taken away his Initiative of "5" and made it into a "1", this is huge when you get into H2H. I'd take the Wolf Lord out and put in a Wolf Guard Battle Leader in with a Assault Cannon and Power weapon on him with the Wolf Tooth Necklace and let him roll with that. You only lose one wound, but gained 50-60 points probably for your list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.