Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a tournament coming up at my local hobby shop and decided to come to the great dwarf generals of LO for help. The only armies that i know are definetly in the tournament are Dark Elves and Warriors of Chaos. The WoC player takes an all cav army with a death star unit(8 knights, marked with banner, a bsb with warbanner, his 200pt general) plus some dogs and maurader cav and usually another unit of cav. The DE player also runs a fast army, lots of cold one knights, dark riders, harpies and a hydra.

So here goes the list:

Heroes:
Thane-94pts
Master Rune of Gromil
Great Weapon

Core:
20 Longbeards- 290
Full Command
Shields
Rune of Battle

20 Dwarf Warriors - 205
Full Command
Shields

23 Dwarf Warriors- 232
Full Command
Shields

12 Thunderers- 180
Shields

Special:
12 Slayers- 147
Giant Slayer

Bolt Thrower- 120
Engineer
w/BoP
Rune of Penetrating
Rune of Immolation

Bolt Thrower- 90
Engineer
w/BOP
Rune of Penetrating

Rare:

Gyrocopter

After making the list i felt as though i needed a cannon or organ gun, but i didnt know where the points would come from. I don't take grudge throwers too often but could that be a good idea? Does the list need a BSB? i played against the WoC player yesterday with a very similar list and his deathstar unit ran over my longbeards(minus rune of battle) and 10 slayers(in the flank) any ideas on how to take a unit like that out?

Thanks for the Criticism

-ThatGuy

·
Organised Chaos
1,233 Posts
First thing id say is that for 1500pt game those bolt throwers look awfuly expensive. The reason i take bolt throwers is because i can fit two naked ones with engineers for just over the cost of a cannon with engineer. I would drop the runes or at least go for alot cheaper ones. (MPO). Rune of burning for a start to deal with hydra regeneration.

If your taking slayers you may aswell have more than one unit champion in the unit seems you can buy them. It gets expensive, but i used to run a unit with 3 unit champions in the front, and because they have a different profile to troll slayers, unless your opponent specificaly targets them in combat then you will always get thier attacks (as long as they are alive). Personaly, at the moment, i would loose your slayers until a new army book comes out and manages to ballance them out a bit. Dont get me wrong they're great but at the moment they are the weak underbelly to your army in cost to effectifness.

Characters? your General and only character is cheaper than your bolt thrower. Either get another character of some description in thier or at least tool this guy up with the clasic Ro Cleaving, Ro fury, Ro Snorri Spanglhelm and Ro Stone. Forget the great weapon, go for striking first at strength 5 with 4 attacks, with a 1+ armour save. think he's about 160ish pts, not sure off top of my head.

I supose agasint the cavalry list the gyrocopter is doing well march blocking so i would maybe keep that, but substitute the slayers for another unit of thunderers or crossbowmen. with the dwarf warriors i would look into if you have points left giving GW as an extra. it just means that when one unit is charged, if it doesnt break, you have two units who can run in to help at Strength 5 rather than Strength 3.

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
mm, if you're going to face a bunch of those lame death stars with 5 attacks per model ( yes, frenzy chaos knights can have that. ) then you want to consider the grudge thrower with a rune of accuracy, master engineer and rune of penetrating. You wil be wounding them on 3's ( and the elves on 2's ) , have a good chance of hitting them and a couple of turns to try it with the gyro's march blocking and the best part is they will lose their armoursave. This for 200 pts, but that is if you leave the master engineer bare, which I wouldn't do. Your bolt throwers are awefully expensive, keep them to a minimum with just an engineer, and drop the slayers, this gives you enough points to spare to put that grudge thrower in. It does D6 wouns so is god at killing heroes and monsters too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I re-wrote my list using your advice, here goes:

Heroes:

Thane
Rune of Stone
Shield
Rune of Cleaving
Rune of Fury
Master Rune of Swiftness

Master Engineer
Great Weapon
Brace of Pistols

Core:

20 Warriors
Shields
FC

20 Warriors
Shields
FC

20 Longbeards
FC
Shields

11 Thunderers
Shields

Special:

Bolt Thrower
Rune of Fire
Engineer
Brace of Pistols

Bolt Thrower
Engineer
Brace of Pistols

Grudge Thrower
Rune of Accuracy
Rune of Penetrating

Rare:

Gyrocopter

So I was considering dropping the gyrocopter for an organ gun. also I've never used a grudge thrower before so I'm not sure whether I want to keep it or not. What do you think about taking one unit of 25 longbeards, and one unit of 25 warriors and use the points for something else, like adding quarrelers or giving GW to my warriors. Should I find points to give a rune of penetrating to my 2nd bolt thrower?

Thanks for your Input so far

-ThatGuy

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
It looks absolutely lovely :)

You are talking about dropping 1 unit of 20 warriors? It's entirely in the realm of possibilities.
You could use the points to bring in a unit to support your bigger blocks. A unit of 10 warriors with great weapons and a champion, and a thane to lead them.

• 10 warriors, great weapons, champion 110
  • thane, great weapon, masterrune of gromril 94

204 pts.

Or some other possibilities!
  • 10 miners
  • thane with great weapon, rune of stone and rune of brother hood
204 pts.

That way you can have 10 guys arriving from the edge with thane to help you.
You have 1 special slot open, so it is possible.
A third thing you could try:

• 10 warriors, great weapons, ranger upgrade
  • thane, great weapon, rune of stone, rune of brotherhood.
But the miners and rangers come down to personal taste.

I think you'll be off best with taking either the 94 pt thane, or the 10 gw warriors, and using the other points to boost your longbeards, maybe transform that thane in a BSB. This is what I'd suggest with 205 pts.

• thane, masterrune of gromril, battle standard, rune of cleaving, rune of warding 150 pts
  • rune of determination and rune of courage on the longbeards banner 50 pts
  • rune of stone on the master engineer 5 pts

Lot of options eh? Personally I'd take this last one. It really buffs your longbeard unit and prevents it from breaking against those pesky fearcausing daemons, chaos knights, etc.
But the 5th option is to take 10 quarrelers with great weapons, shields and a champion ( 150 pts ) and use the remaining 55 pts for the longbeard banner and rune of stone for the master engineer..
About the grudge thrower; thruthfully I haven't used it much myself either, but looking at it with all these upgrades, it's effects and the opinions of others, it can really really hurt and decimate big heavily armed units, and cavalry too. With the gyro's marchblocking you can guarantee yourself a couple turns extra to shoot at them with the bolt throwers and grudge thrower, not to mention the gyro's steam gun ( I know, I know, it's just str 3, but they've got to fail those armoursaves some time. )

I think it's best if you practice playing with it a few times in your local store or with friends, and if it doesn't really work out for you, just replace it for a big fat BSB, or a 10 strong great weapon unit or such ( 10 hammerers? )

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really cant decide, the BSB would make a big difference, but only having 2 blocks of infantry might put me at a big disadvantage. I would like to find the points to give my master engineer rune of stone, and give my longbeards a rune of battle or determination and maybe even bump my thunderers up to 12.

I am going to test the list out this wednesday(maybe with some changes) so hopefully it goes well. I am playing a all cav dark elf army. Harpies, dark riders, cold ones, a hydra and 3 sorceress. I'm not sure what to do against 3 casters with 4 dispell dice but hopefully i get really lucky

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
ow.. all cav dark elf army..
with 3 sorcs...

* weeps inside his beard *

That's going to be a tough cooky. With 2 big blocks of infantry with the added boosts I think you will be able to manage though. I think it'd be best to march block the dangerous cav ( stay away from te hydra though! ) with the gyro and steam gun the cold one knights. With their pathetic T3, and a 'meh' 2+ save ( 3+ with the steam gun's modifier ) you could actually take that unit down in a few shots, or a harpy or dark rider unit even faster.

March block the bastards to buy your thunderers and warmachines time to shoot em to the hell they spawned from and try to spike the hydra with your bolt throwers early, to render its breath attack useless. 2 wounds down and he will have a hard time wounding anything in your army.

Use the grudge thrower on the largest concentration of enemies, or if you are feeling lucky, lob a rock on the sorceresses. 1 hit and they are done. D6 wounds rocks.

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
for your consideration; a couple runes of sanctuary and/or warding on your banners/heroes for some magic resistance. A lot of dark elf spells are offensive so you will be getting dispelldice for little cost.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So im playing a game tomorrow and heres the list im going to bring

heroes:
Thane
Rune of Stone
Shield
Rune of Cleaving
Rune of Fury
Master Rune of Swiftness

Master Engineer
Rune of Stone
Great Weapon
Brace of Pistols

Thane
BSB
Rune of Cleaving
Rune of Warding x2

Core:
24 Warriors
FC
Shield
----BSB goes here

20 Longbeards
FC
Shields
Great Weapons
Rune of Sanctuary?(magic resistance one)x2
---Thane goes here

11 Quarrelers
Shields

Special:
Bolt Thrower
Rune of Burning
Engineer

Bolt Thrower
Engineer

Rare:
Gyrocopter

So do you think im over doing it on the magic resistance? maybe i could drop 1 rune of sanctuary and 1 rune of warding. I decided to put GW on my longbeards, is that a good move? I was thinking if i dropped the GW and magic items i could get 25 longbeards instead of 20.

---ThatGuy

·
quik-quik, kill-kill!
2,651 Posts
I think you'd be best off with using 1 rune of warding, 1 rune of sanctuary and only using shields instead of great weapons ( but the gw's could come in handy, I admit ), and giving your BSB a master rune of gromril, he is underprotected at the moment.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok there's already said enough things about your whole army, except:p I woudl consider taking an organ gun, strength 5 - 3 armour save it works excellent against cav. Even if you won't allow them to march they still will be fast. You don't have that much shooting and even if you still block their marching i don't think you will be able to close HiM in.

Just an idea;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.