Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, quick background. Im new to 5th addition, just got back into 40k after many years off. Stopped playing soon after 3rd edition came out. I've been playing quite a few games recently but this will be my 1st 5th edition tourney (btw in 2nd edition my Eldar were undefeated in regular tournaments).

1st place is ~$100 in store credit.

So here goes, advice and criticism is all much appreciated and indeed desired.
Most opponents are Marines (drop pod or LR/rhino rush). 1 IG, and 1 Tau.

HQ:
[210] - Eldrad (though I don't like using named, pretty much everyone else does)

Elites:
[286] - Howling Banshees x8, +1 Exarch with executioner. [166]
Wave Serpent with Shuriken Cannons (hull and linked), Spirit Stone [120]

Fast Attack:
[186] - Warp Spiders x6, +1 Exarch w/ double spinners

Troops:
[186] - Dire Avengers x9, +1 Exarch w/dual Catapults and Bladestorm
[186] - Dire Avengers x9, +1 Exarch w/dual Catapults and Bladestorm
[144] - Pathfinders x6

Heavy Support:
[135] - Fire Prism w/ cannon and Spirit Stone
[135] - Fire Prism w/ cannon and Spirit Stone
[100] - Support Weapon x2 D-Cannon

1500pts on the nose.

So here's my strategy. Since all of the Marine players are rush/deep strike players I figured I can sit tight and they generally come to me.
Everyone's afraid of the D-Cannons and so they protect a corner. I will put them on one side of deployment then use Divination to move them (since their location greatly effects my opponents' deployment). They then create a 24" bubble that most players are deathly afraid of, this works better than actually killing stuff.

I usually run Wraithguard too, but think the Banshees are a better choice. I like the pathfinders, and they always seem to do some good, but they'd be the most replaceable imo.
The idea of infiltrating Scorpions in a Wave Serpent seems like a lot of fun, but not sure for 1500.
btw as far as models go I have plenty of everything except no Farseer/Warlocks on Jetbikes and no Shining Spears.

Thoughts?
-John

·
1,273 Posts
5 pathfinders and put witdraw on spiders...i like the list even i think walkers instead of d-cannons would be better(but that`s my oppinion)

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I personally eldrad is too expensive for 1500 points but he is good. and no one can deny that...ever lol.

The banshee wave serpent looks good. If the tournament is WYSIWYG, i would drop the Hull mounted Shuriken Cannon on it. If you find 5 points I would add acrobatic, counter-attack is so good and for 5 points its a steal.

What are these warp spiders doing? I would remove them all together, As I feel they dont flow well with your list.

If you arn't using DA in transports, I would just take guardians for the higher wound count and heavy weapon and warlock.

Take the Fire prisms naked.

Good luck.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I would take out th warp spiders and support weapon. I would replace them with a squad of dark reapers with an exarch and tempest launcher. Because you're playing marines dark reapers will tear them apart eith their ap3 weapons. good luck

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I personally eldrad is too expensive for 1500 points but he is good. and no one can deny that...ever lol.

The banshee wave serpent looks good. If the tournament is WYSIWYG, i would drop the Hull mounted Shuriken Cannon on it. If you find 5 points I would add acrobatic, counter-attack is so good and for 5 points its a steal.

What are these warp spiders doing? I would remove them all together, As I feel they dont flow well with your list.

If you arn't using DA in transports, I would just take guardians for the higher wound count and heavy weapon and warlock.

Take the Fire prisms naked.

Good luck.
Doh! Overlooked the Banshee powers, thanks.
it is WYSIWYG, but my Shuriken Cannons (and all vehicle weapons for that matter) are swappable.

Only have 13 guardians, but I do see your point. I was also toying with the idea of a 10man/stone? wraithguard unit instead of the DA's. As Im the only real Eldar player in our group they are scared to death of D-Cannon and Wraithcannons (oh dear, your AV-idontcare- Land Raider just went POP!). The psychological factor alone and how their presence effects my opponents' deployment and movement are far more effective than what they do with actual shooting.

I like warp spiders. While they will still get armor saves, 14 S6 shots against a squad or vehicle always seems to do serious damage (and I do often face drop pod Dreadnoughts-and my spiders tend to be able to get to range and kill them without too much trouble) . Though I see your point. What should I replace them with then?

Eldrad is very expensive, I use him for the divination more than anything. It can be a game winner for me as it way messes up my opponents' deployment. Being able to cast Doom, Guide, and Fortune multiple times is great as well (though obviously 2 farseers can do this better while coving more of the board).

-John

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Doh! Overlooked the Banshee powers, thanks.
it is WYSIWYG, but my Shuriken Cannons (and all vehicle weapons for that matter) are swappable.

Only have 13 guardians, but I do see your point. I was also toying with the idea of a 10man/stone? wraithguard unit instead of the DA's. As Im the only real Eldar player in our group they are scared to death of D-Cannon and Wraithcannons (oh dear, your AV-idontcare- Land Raider just went POP!). The psychological factor alone and how their presence effects my opponents' deployment and movement are far more effective than what they do with actual shooting.

I like warp spiders. While they will still get armor saves, 14 S6 shots against a squad or vehicle always seems to do serious damage (and I do often face drop pod Dreadnoughts-and my spiders tend to be able to get to range and kill them without too much trouble) . Though I see your point. What should I replace them with then?

Eldrad is very expensive, I use him for the divination more than anything. It can be a game winner for me as it way messes up my opponents' deployment. Being able to cast Doom, Guide, and Fortune multiple times is great as well (though obviously 2 farseers can do this better while coving more of the board).

-John
if ur willing to make changes that r big do u have wave serpents

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes I have 3 wave serpents and 3 Fire Prisms/Falcons. 3 War Walkers, 3 Wraithlords, and 6 support platforms (D-Cannon and Vibro Cannon).
I have all other unit types as well (though only 5 harlequins).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Wow, it's like you live in some other universe if support weapon platforms are THAT effective for you. I'm really surprised something with a BS3 and T3 and only a 24" range is that game changing.

I'm of the mind that Eldrad, while expensive, is always an awesome choice because of his ability to use 3 psychic powers and his invulnerable save.

I don't see the reason of putting a shuriken cannon on your fire prisms, because they should never be that close to an enemy. like really, never. and if they are, they should be getting out of their right away.

I, personally, cannot wrap my head around foot slogging DA. Anything with a T3, 4+ save and THAT strong of offensive firepower (basically DA's and FD's) are just too effective in transports, especially in the early game. Personally, I'd be of the mind to do anything to get those squads in serpents.

Spiders, not my thing, but they are reliable enough with their speed, high str weapon, decent save, Deep Strike and BS. the 12" range just irks me...you absolutely need to use their assault jump the right way.

I'm curious how your opponents just don't neutralize or destroy the support weapon battery.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I agree with the points made about the warp spiders. I actually really like spiders, but I feel like at this point level your points would be better spent elsewhere. If you take them and the d-cannons out, You could get 2 bare-bones Wave Serpents (Turret Shuriken Cannons and Spirit Stones), add in 2 more pathfinders, and add 1 more banshee to max the squad out. I've stopped using my pathfinders due to their high point cost, but they are very handy for bringing down MCs (something we're gonna see a lot more of with the new nid dex), so they might have a place here. What I'd really recommend though is to replace them with a group of Fire Dragons in a Wave Serpent. This has the unfortunate side effect of reducing you to 2 troop choices, but 2 DA squads in serpents will do better than 2 footslogging squads with some pathfinders. It's a tough call, but my starting point for a list is almost always 2 DA squads in serpents.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, it's like you live in some other universe if support weapon platforms are THAT effective for you. I'm really surprised something with a BS3 and T3 and only a 24" range is that game changing.

I'm curious how your opponents just don't neutralize or destroy the support weapon battery.
Well, even with BS3 when firing as a battery there is a good chance to scatter on something (or roll a hit) and position the other template well. My opponents are just plain scared of them. Perhaps once they figure out how to deal with them that will all change, but for now it's a 24" bubble that they tend to stay away from. I usually place them behind cover so they are firing indirectly or even behind another unit. Eldrad's divination means that I have a good chance of getting close to his units right off the bat. Or at least covering an objective. I usually put a Warlock in there with Conceal, but not in this list. I will guide them sometimes as well (makes a decent difference).

Every game I've used them in they more than pay for themselves (leman russ, LR, dreadnought, lots of troops, and a Hive Tyrant).

I also love vibro cannons against our IG and Black Templar LR armies (they just keep stunning them).

All of our marine players are mech rush (usually termy in LR) and/or drop pod. With them coming to me I find that having some stationary units forces him to focus on the artillery.

I think I might try removing the Warp Spiders and one pathfinder and putting both DA in wave serpents. That way all but my snipers and artillery are mobile.

Im still pretty set on the D-Cannons as they are very effective 'in my universe'. Though I must admit no where near as nasty as in 2nd Edition. Then anything under the template was dead and gone, no matter the toughness, armor, or wounds. It was simply sucked into the warp. Perhaps that is why Im still so fond of them.

-John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts