Kroot of 10 = 70

Hammerhead = Rail, Burst, Multi, Disruption Pod = 165

Total = 1500:shifty:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Only one shas'ui can be upgraded to shas'vre.
I would make the Shas'o shas'el, max out the FW, drop one of the hammerheads and use the points to buy another FW squad and possibly a Devilfish.
I would also drop the TL and just have a single missile pod and maybe drop the Fusions on the shas'o
Also confused about the plasma rifle for the FW
But I do like all the stealths

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
1. Your list is illegal. Your team of Crisis all have three wepons and a HW device. The only one of them that can take HW option is if you upgrade one to a team leader and he can take one. The other two can't.

2. I personally would take of the MP on your HQ's and TL the plasma or the Fusion, depending on what you want to blow up. Thats just personal preference though.

3. At 1500 points your army is very small and won't take much to break. To offset this you have lots of Stealth which are harder to hit and target but a competent player is gonna see that and take advantage of it. With this list your going to need to be especially fearfull of any army thats fast enough to catch and corner your elites, cuz if they do they are gonna put the hurt on bad.

I'm not gonna tell you what units to run, I'm just gonna tell you what problems your gonna have with it, but this list has the feel of a cut and dried onalarini list follower (if you came up with this list on your own my apologies for calling into question your own intelect and creativity) so I have a feeling you've read all the arguments already.

And now onalarini may decend from the heights and bless your list with a 8 or maybe a nine, or wonder of wonders a ten.

·
Registered
664 Posts
actually it is legal,i think all shas'vre or higher get a HW option.
for the hq make one missile pod,plasma rifle and multi shas'el(your configuration is not point effective)
and the other helios,plasma rifle,multi shas'o.for the rest i see nothing wrong.
VERY good list,it look awesomely like mine :yes: .did you read the post about my army list by any chance :)
about the oni follower thing well he gives good advices and the list he helped me make works greats.
oni woudle ither give this a 8/10 or a 9/10 i think

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
svalene said:
actually it is legal,i think all shas'vre or higher get a HW option.
for the hq make one missile pod,plasma rifle and multi shas'el(your configuration is not point effective)
and the other helios,plasma rifle,multi shas'o.for the rest i see nothing wrong.
VERY good list,it look awesomely like mine :yes: .did you read the post about my army list by any chance :)
about the oni follower thing well he gives good advices and the list he helped me make works greats.
oni woudle ither give this a 8/10 or a 9/10 i think
Actualy it is totaly illegal you can only upgrade one member per XV8 team to Shas'vre cant believe you dont know that svelene.
If your set on a team of XV8's give them all either plasma and missile pod, multi, or Fusion, plasma, multi. If your using a team I would go for the Missile pod and use its range to keep out of trouble because XV8 teams are hard to keep in one piece. if you want to crack armour with them go for the helios but dont expect them to last long.
I really dont like this list type personaly I think its to low in numbers, the 6 FW and 10 Kroot are useless enough to be classed as irrelevent to the list, they contribute nothing, I must say I agree with undead it smacks of following the herd ts just to similar to the supposed Uber list doing the rounds on this and other forums at the moment, but hey whatever use it and learn just how many errors this list has built into it.,
I can think of a few changes that would make this list better, but they have been posted by myself and others in other threads so I'm not gonna waste my time repeating them (everyone breaths a sigh of relief, Riki is learning).

·
Registered
10 Posts
You can only upgrade 1 of the shas'ui to shas'vre so it is illegal but iwithout the TL then you can save 22 points on the 2 new shas'ui

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
rikimaru said:
I can think of a few changes that would make this list better, but they have been posted by myself and others in other threads so I'm not gonna waste my time repeating them (everyone breaths a sigh of relief, Riki is learning).
Atta boy Rikki. *enthusiastic applause*

One more small and fairly pointless little thing spec. FW's use pulse rifles not plasma rifles. Your gonna give some newb a heartattack when he thinks he can stick plasma wepons on an FW's squad.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ahhh, I couldn’t post a reply when the first 4 post came down the pipe due to some system error, and now there are 3 more all yelling at me about my n00b mistake. Yea, it was a bad mistake and same thing for the fire warriors I meant pulse rifles, kind of mixed up that with plasma rifle. Let me make the corrections.

Shas’ El = Plasma, Missile Pod, Fusion, HW Multi = 102

Shas’ El = Plasma, Missile Pod, Fusion, HW Multi = 102

Shas’ Ui = Plasma, MP, Multi = 65

Shas’ ui = 1 Stealth group of 6 = 180

Shas’ ui = 1 Stealth group of 6 = 180

FW = 1 group of 6 = 60

FW = 1 group of 6 = 60

FW = 1 group of 6 = 60

Kroot of 10 = 70

Hammerhead = Rail, Burst, Multi = 160

Total = 1499

Ok, for the shas' el please tell me why the weapon line-up is not so great, from my limited understanding the weapons give them all forms of ranged combat. For the shas' ui group, why would they die so easily? Is there weapon line-up wrong? Do they just suck? Should I add another stealth unit in there place? I corrected the problem of fire warriors by adding two more squads, but had to taking one disruption pod away from a rail head.

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
Ah, new things I've noticed about your list that I missed the first time.

1. Always take Decoy Launchers on yuor tanks if nothing else. It alows you to rerole imobilized results (which is good cuz if skimmers get imobilized after moving 6" they're destroyed). Your HH's are a bit spare, look at other army lists to see a more typical loadout, usually around 180 pts is standard loadout for railheads. The Disruption pods you have on now are considered by most to be optional.

2. They are saying that your crisis team will be easy to kill because its three suits in a group which is hard to hide, not due to wepons loadout. If the enemy has LOS on even just one they can fire at that squad and inflict multiple wounds, possibly killing one or two suits in a round of shooting, at which point the remaining one will be forced to take a moral check, but I wouldn't replace them with stealths, crisis are your heavy weapons tank and marien busting platforms, don't sacrafice them for more St 5 shots.

3. On your HQ's we're telling you to narrow that down to two weapons because Crisis suits with Multitrackers can only fire two weapons a turn. That means that every turn your going to have a number of points sitting useless on your crisis, where if you TL a weapon and drop the extra your making your "to hit" ratio better. Crisis suits are super versatile, but for each individual loadout you wanna give it some focus and direction, a Crisis that can do everything is good at doing nothing.

4. Don't make multiple 6 man FW squads. When you make mini squads like that it's only gonna take three FW's getting killed to force a moral check on that unit. People are giving you grief on your FW's because your previous list you had a single squad of 6 which is useless in every sense of the word. They can't put out any volume of fire, can't hold objectives, can't absorb casualties. If you want an effective static squad your gonna need a 12 man unit, not three 6 man paper weights. And if you find your short of points, don't take it out of your hammerheads or crisis, they're base enough as is.

I would suggest that you read the tactica on Mech Tau and read some of the threads elsewhere in the Tau forum on the different troop types. It would also help if you checked out some of the other army lists on this forum and got a feel for what others are doing and thinking.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
So what happened to the other list?

Twinlinking shas'o probably wasn't a smart move, and you needed target locks on your hammerheads, but the rest was good.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is where i am now, i changed the commanders to be more useable and changed the sthealth to individual crisis. i focused more on the fire warriors to take up the slack of the lost steath suits, and gave all veicles disrupiton pods. just one problem I have 142pts left and i don't know what to add? there is a wide range, first i tryed to add another fire warrior team with a devil fish, but i was over 3pts. a stealth could work ok but with out having 6 elites it looks unbalanced if i were to take on Shas' Vre out. i am at a loss on what to do here?

Shas' El = TL Plasma, Fusion, HW Multi = 96

Shas’ El = TL Plasma, Fusion, HW Multi = 96

Shas’ Vre = Plasma, TL MP, Multi = 87

12x FW = 120
Devil Fish + Decoy = 85

12x FW = 120
Devil Fish + Decoy = 85

Hammerhead = Rail, Burst, Multi, Decoy Launchers = 165

Total = 1358

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
What you have right now is about a standard base of a Mech Tau list. What you wanna do is play around with it and start to develop your own style and preferance. Then you can begin to personalize this list and make it truely your own creation with the inclusion and exclusion of certain units and associated tactics. Whats important is that you take advice but you don't treat it as gospel, there are many conflicting schools of tactics in Tau and you need to make sure you make up your own mind rather than let someone tell you what to do. In the end its important that its your list that you made, not a ripoff or copy of something someone else forces upon you because it works for them. If you wanna enjoy this game you gotta make the list your own.

As to what can be done right now...

Replacing one crisis with a Stealth team would give you list good flexibility and open up options in combat. A Kroot squad could be good too as a firebase to put in woods (a +4 invulrable save in woods for 6 points apice is a bargin of the greatest magnitude). You could also put Smart Missle Systems on a couple of your Hammerheads but thats a matter of preferance. You could put Multi or Target Lock(forget which it is off the top of my head) on your DF to give them some more versatility and punch.

You could also vary your Crisis loadout in your elites. There are several different builds that are all effective in their own way. There is a thread somewhere dedicated towards listing all loadouts of crisis suits and their advantages and disadvantages, check it out. Right now your running about the most standard multipurpose loadouts on your crisis their is, its good allround but when you start to develop your own style you can start mixing up the loadouts.

Also, If you mount FW's they don't have to be max squads. If you wanted a third DF you could run a ten man squad or such. The reason I mentioned 12 man squads previously was that you seemed to want them as a static element and then you really do need the biggest squads you can field, but in DF the squads take a bit less fire typically.

·
Registered
664 Posts
lol u lost all your stealth?i strongly suggest you take out one of your shas'vre and get a full stealth squad in.some kroots would be nice too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Personally I would lose one of the XV8's and make the vre's ui's, you can then squeeze in a 6 man XV15 squad, upgrade the Hammerheads with Multi-tracker & Target Lock and maybe some Kroot.

I think Undead Bonzi is spot on, your best bet is to take a list that allows you to try out different units, use this to develop a list that best suits your style of play.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
this looks a little more pleasing, i gave it 2 squads of stealth, but had to take one Shas' El, Shas' Vre, 4 FW's, and couldn't add any multi's to the devil fish. i am rather pleased with it but i am disapointed i couldnt add any Kroot, thanx for all of the help

Shas’ Ui = 6x Stealth = 180

10x FW = 100
Devil Fish + Decoy = 85

10x FW = 100
Devil Fish + Decoy = 85

Total = 1495

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
spec.ops said:
this looks a little more pleasing, i gave it 2 squads of stealth, but had to take one Shas' El, Shas' Vre, 4 FW's, and couldn't add any multi's to the devil fish. i am rather pleased with it but i am disapointed i couldnt add any Kroot, thanx for all of the help

10x FW = 100
Devil Fish + Decoy = 85

10x FW = 100
Devil Fish + Decoy = 85

Total = 1495
Sorry dude but again its illegal, you only have 3 elites slots to fill and you have 4 elites, you cant take 2 Shas'Vre in a team so the 2 Shas'Vre you listed have to occupy a seperate elites slot each, which gives you 4 elites.
Lose a Shas'Vre and take a Plasma / Fusion / Multi equiped Shas, El for 83 pts he will be a lot more usefull, has better BS and more Wounds, then your list is sorted (if you like Stealths and Mech that is)

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
onlainari said:
They could be bodyguards riki...
Well i prefer to think he is more sensible than to take bodyguards, also it does not say they are bodyguards, and anyway taking the Shas'El like I advised would still be better, he will have 3 seperate hard hitting XV8 units as opposed to one big unit hitting one enemy unit per turn.

·
Shrubs for the Blood God
1,144 Posts
I would agree, move one of those crisis to an HQ slot and give him the plas fusion multi loadout and you'll be golden.

I think this is a good list and I have a feeling your gonna pick up Tau rapidly and do well. Just remember when making future lists to always keep that force organization chart in the codex in mind. Also, when posting lists its good to seperate your different unit types by header (i.e. HQ, Elities, Troops, Fast Attack, Heavy Support) that'll make your lists clearer. After you mess around with lists enough it'll get easier to remember and you won't make these errors anymore. Also don't forget to check out the many troop type and tactica debates on this forum, you'll learn a lot that you won't get from simply reading the codex.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry for the stupid mistake, i have corrected the problem and gave myself some pathfinders. i know pathfinders are not realy awsome in this codex, but with all the hype of the new pathfinders i thought it would be best to start using them. pluse they are realy cool. what are your opions on this?

HQ) Shas’ El = TL Plasma, Fusión, HW Multi = 96

Elite) Shas’ Vre = Plasma, TL MP, HW Multi = 87

Elite) Shas’ Vre = Plasma, TL MP, HW Multi = 87

Elite) Shas ui = Stealth = 1 group of 6 = 180 = 30.00

Troop) 10x FW = 100
Devil Fish + Decoy = 85

Troop) 10x FW = 100
Devil Fish + Decoy = 85

Fast) 8x Pathfinders = 96
Devil Fish + Decoy = 85

Heavy) Hammerhead = Rail, Burst, Multi, Decoy = 165
Heavy) Hammerhead = Rail, Burst, Multi, Decoy = 165