Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After playing dual nids all weekend at the doubles GT, I've got an urge to paint up the rest of my nids and start using them competitively. Rather than go all gojirra which most people seem to do over here, I've gone for a more balanced approach IMHO. It's probably still a bit TMC heavy, but i love the models and shooting devourers too much.

HQ:

Hive Tyrant - 179
Wings, Adrenal glands (both), toxin sacs, Lash Whip & Bonesword, Scything Talons, Acid Maw

*I do have a twin devourer flying tyrant but i think its better if its CC orientated. That said, the reason i have acid maw is to deal with other TMC's, plus the fact i roll a lot of 1's in combat 8Y. Also i've been convinced lash whip & bonesword is a better combo than another scything talons, should help out the rest of the army more and also annoy power fists*

Hive Tyrant - 149
Toxin Sacs, Enhanced Senses, Venom Cannon, Twin devourers

*feel i need a bit longer range punch against the skimmer tastic armies so took a venom cannon rather than quad devourers*

Elites:

4 Warriors - 152
Leaping, Adrenal Glands (I), Extended Carapace, Rending claws, scything talons

Troops:

14 Hormagaunts - 168
Adrenal glands (both)

14 Hormagaunts - 168
Adrenal glands (both)

8 Spinegaunts - 40

8 Spinegaunts - 40

8 Spinegaunts - 40

Fast Attack:

Ravener - 40
Rending claws, scything talons

Ravener - 40

Ravener - 40

Heavy Support:

Carnifex - 118
Enhanced Senses, Twin devourers, twin devourers, spinebanks

Carnifex - 163
Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon

Carnifex - 163
Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon

Total: 1500pts

Thoughts please?

·
159 Posts
Hive Commander Ainafellas

I think this should be a pretty competitive list. If I had to make suggestions (and they are suggestions), here are my suggested changes

1) Take out the spinebanks from the Dakkafex and make him an Elites Choice.

There have been a few times where deploying the Dakkafex, after you see where your opponents troops/landspeeder/rhino, units is pretty valuable. If you wanted those frag grenades (while keeping him as an Elites choice), you should be able to just get flesh hooks.

2) Consider dropping some warriors or 1 Ravener to add some Tyrant Guard to your shooting Tyrant.
In 1500 point games, I also run 2 Hive Tyrants; 1 CC and 1 shooty. And I usually have 2 Tyrant guard to protect my Synapse. However I could be totally wrong on this suggestion based on your list, so don't take my suggestion as the definitive answer.

3) If you keep the CC Tyrant, consider Warp Field and Implant Attack. But also don't overlook the flying DakkaTyrant.
I like my Flying Hive Tyrant but I do make him pretty expensive in 1500+ games. Many opponents love shooting at it so I like having some better defensive upgrades and implant attack so I can take on multi-wound creatures. My issue is what you would give up to field this unit. And at this time I'm having trouble determining what you should give up.

In addition, if you find out that you're still having problems with this list (you mentioned that you roll a lot of "1s") then I think that a flying DakkaTyrant would improve your chances in causing wounds to your opponent.

As I've stated before, I think your list is fine, but if you don't feel your satisfied, try some of these suggestions for list tweaks. Good Hunting Hive Commander
Ainafellas!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Your list looks good to me... Slightly unusual Hive Tyrant builds but they should work well enough.

My only suggestion would be to only use one unit of your expensive Hormagaunts and use more spinegaunts. I do love the hormagaunts... but they're pricey. I think you could use a bit more models on the table.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your list looks good to me... Slightly unusual Hive Tyrant builds but they should work well enough.

My only suggestion would be to only use one unit of your expensive Hormagaunts and use more spinegaunts. I do love the hormagaunts... but they're pricey. I think you could use a bit more models on the table.

That is true but I don't really see the point of just taking one unit as they'll just get targeted much easier and wiped out. At least with two squads, i can just hang at 24" and provide more of a threat. Plus if 5th ed rumours are true, the spinegaunts will be particularly awesome for shielding them.

Hive Commander Ainafellas

I think this should be a pretty competitive list. If I had to make suggestions (and they are suggestions), here are my suggested changes

1) Take out the spinebanks from the Dakkafex and make him an Elites Choice.

There have been a few times where deploying the Dakkafex, after you see where your opponents troops/landspeeder/rhino, units is pretty valuable. If you wanted those frag grenades (while keeping him as an Elites choice), you should be able to just get flesh hooks.

2) Consider dropping some warriors or 1 Ravener to add some Tyrant Guard to your shooting Tyrant.
In 1500 point games, I also run 2 Hive Tyrants; 1 CC and 1 shooty. And I usually have 2 Tyrant guard to protect my Synapse. However I could be totally wrong on this suggestion based on your list, so don't take my suggestion as the definitive answer.

3) If you keep the CC Tyrant, consider Warp Field and Implant Attack. But also don't overlook the flying DakkaTyrant.
I like my Flying Hive Tyrant but I do make him pretty expensive in 1500+ games. Many opponents love shooting at it so I like having some better defensive upgrades and implant attack so I can take on multi-wound creatures. My issue is what you would give up to field this unit. And at this time I'm having trouble determining what you should give up.

In addition, if you find out that you're still having problems with this list (you mentioned that you roll a lot of "1s") then I think that a flying DakkaTyrant would improve your chances in causing wounds to your opponent.

As I've stated before, I think your list is fine, but if you don't feel your satisfied, try some of these suggestions for list tweaks. Good Hunting Hive Commander
Ainafellas!
[1] Yeah that's a good idea. I was only really taking the spinebanks for the extra 2 shots at 12" anyway.

[2] Interesting idea. When i move the list upto 1750, the first thing on my list to get is some tyrant guard. I just can't fit them into 1500pts without losing some effectiveness elsewhere! Exchanging a warrior for one tyrant guard could be a valid idea, i will have to give that a go at some point.

[3] I was considering taking implant attack but only had 10pts spare so took acid maw instead! To be honest i don't tend to run into many missile launchers, just ap2 and rending shooting attacks, and i can't roll 6+ very well at all (that doesn't bode well for my gaunts at all!). Ive used the dakkarant before (for the doubles tournament last week we had two dakkarants and two dakkafexes - making marine players roll 35 saves on one squad ain't pretty!!) so i can easily weapon swap, i just think it might be better all round if this is a CC beast, as i'm in trouble against other MC's if not.

I do like the suggestions, I'll have a look at them when i can get more games in with it (need to find time with work and to actually finish making it first!).

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.