Obliterator
- unit of 2
140 pts

Obliterator
- unit of 2
140 pts

Defiler
195 pts

I'll keep this short and sweet. Originally Word Bearers but turned kinda generic, however, I do need a solid list. CSM squads versatile and cheap with havoc launchers to add a bit more support, cultists in reserve until turn four to take home objectives. Brutes as ranged support while making their way up to mid to later join in the fray, the Helturky requires no argument, Obliterator units are deep striking dakka and double up as anti tank and the defiler is the big ass gun. Thoughts?

·
4,967 Posts
HQ: He won't be able to fit in the rhino so will have yo walk and get shot giving away the warlord VP or joint the cultists when he will hardly play any role in the game. His bonuses to the unit he joins are also not that great unless you have a 35 strong blob of cultists. Swap him for a cheap sorceror or Huron to get the infiltrate warlord trait.

Troops: If mounted in a rhino always take 2 meltas or 2 plasmas. Consider a combimelta/plasma on the rhino and possibly on the unit champion as well. Cultists are fine.

Elites: Ok but not great. What about a maulerfiend or two (are they the close combat fast ones?) to rush up the middle supported by the rhinos and defiler. To resolve the HQ in a rhino problems you could swp 10 CSMs for 6-8 chosen in a rhino with many meltaguns.

Fast: Nice.

Heavy: Great. As per the CSM v3.5 codex word bearers couldnt take marks other than the undevided type but if you are not too bothered about that then MoN on the oblits will stop them being instant killed by meltas, lascannon and brightlances. Defilers are ok but a bit pricy for my liking, still with the 7th ed shift in the vehicle damage table and 4 hull points they can be fun (just that the sould gringer is cheaper and better armoured).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome, I'll see what I can do about hq, hadn't noticed. This list is trying to work with models that I already have with a few yet to acquire so I might look into equivalents. And yea, maulerfiend with tendrils is a great tarpit. Not so sure about chosen, too many points but I suppose that is the way to use them if any... only wish I could deep strike them somehow with mass plasma as an effective anti teq...

·
4,967 Posts
What about 5 Terminators kept nice and cheap with one PF and lots of combiplasmas. The HQ could join them such as a terminator sorceror with the Brand of skalthrax and some Psychic shrieking thrown in. It would resolve your where-to-put-the-HQ problems and they are still tough and useful once you have used up the massed plasma on the arrival turn.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like that very much, using a mastery level three sorcerer with pure tzeentch gives you every power, it's brutal, I did it with a daemon prince. Putting the sorcerer with termi armour in with termies is downright nasty.

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
For fluff reasons I might have to paint the sorcerer thousand sons or somthing, word bearers don't like sorcerers...
I take it you're not too committed to being undivided? It's completely kosher for Word Bearers to take marks, I'm just curious.

Are you playing mostly Eternal War missions?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
You could claim that the Sorcerer is simply a Dark Apostle that has been gifted with powers from the Chaos Gods. There's plenty of fluff precedence, especially in Anthony Reynold's stuff. I'd also consider him Undivided and using Malefic Daemonology, very Word Bearers to summon Daemons, and it will help flesh out the list a bit in terms of bodies and situational aid (need objective sitters? Plague Marines. Shooters? Horrors. Terminators in your way? Daemonettes. Fire magnet to draw away from your guys? Bloodletters.) You could even keep the Mark and split between the Disciplines, you get the Mark's Primaris anyways and can swap out a Malefic for Summoning.

For Elites I'd go for a Maulerfiend, or switch from plasma cannons on the Helbrutes to missile launchers. You make them more versatile that way with a longer range and two different firing modes, so you can go anti-vehicle or anti-infantry. Plus no Gets Hot!.

Definitely go for double plasma/double melta, as you can't split squads that Heavy Bolter will almost always be Snap Firing. And I'd combine the Cultists into a single squad of 20, at only 10 they will die and run like nobody's business (3 casualties isn't hard on a T3 model with a 6+ save in one phase, whereas 6 casualties requires more dedicated firepower). Use the Cultists to hold a backfield objective.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts