Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got a game scheduled against a friend who also plays guard. I don't know what style he favours though, so I could be facing anything from a wall of tanks to a horde of conscripts. I've tried to keep my options open, by going for some AP5 goodness, as well as some anti-armour and anti-horde weapons to be applied as needed.

Doctrines

Storm Troopers
Grenadiers (I know I don't normally need to take both, but I want some as elites and some as troops)
Sharpshooters
Iron Discipline
One other - any suggestions? If nothing better, I'll take Close Order Drill

HQ

Command Squad: JO with Honorifica, Iron Discipline; Mortar [80]
Anti-Tank Squad: 3 Lascannons, Sharpshooters [120]
Fire Support Squad: 3 Autocannons, Sharpshooters [105]

Elite

Storm Troopers: Sgt + 5 Troopers, 2 Meltaguns, Deep Strike [86]

Troops

Grenadiers: Vet Sgt with Bolter + 9 Troopers, 2 Plasma Guns [127]
Chimera: Multilaser, Hull Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers [93]

Armoured Fist Squad: Vet Sgt with Storm Bolter + 9 Troopers, Flamer [77]
Chimera: Multilaser, Hull Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour, Pintle Heavy Stubber [102]

Platoon: JO with LP/CCW, 2 Flamers, 2 Veterans with Bolters [66]
3x Squad: Sgt with Lasgun + 9 Troopers, Heavy Bolter, Grenade Launcher [3x 78]

Heavy Support

Leman Russ: 3x Heavy Bolter [155]
Leman Russ: 3x Heavy Bolter, Pintle Heavy Stubber [167]

Total: 1498 pts

I'm well aware that the Storm Bolter would be far more useful on the Storm Trooper Vet Sgt than the AF Squad Sarge, but I'm unfortunately limited by models until I can get my hands on some bitz.

·
Mr Commisar to you
2,885 Posts
Hmmm

1. bolt pistol on the platoon commander

um er hmmm yup thats it from me, damned good list this.

Ahhhh I spy something smokes on the second chimera, there are none and they should really take them before other upgrades, drop the two veterans with bolters and get a third flamer in that squad and smokes on that second chimera little tweak but should help (means you can assault after you shoot with the platoon command if needs be)

Hope that helps

A

·
Registered
24 Posts
With IG, chances are you will face firepower en masse... I would try to field as much firepower as possible, while taking as few upgrades as possible. Another thing to keep in mind is that you will both have similar Leadership values, so taking a Commisar may help keep your units on the table when his fall off. Overall, I would just suggest trying to outgun him, because at the end of the day, the IG is a shooting army.

As far as specifics, that's up to your personal style of play... :)

·
2,399 Posts
Okay, i'll be brutal.

I played against a guard opponent alot, and have seen used on me and used the most vicious tactics we can think of (and we really tried)

Best advice there is on this subject: Drop trooping squads with multiple flamers absolutely rip up guardsmen. Fearlessly throw them at the opponent. (It was the best tactic before deep striking got alot safer. My IG vs IG army should really be labelled airbourne & armour nowerdays)

So, I've got a game scheduled against a friend who also plays guard. I don't know what style he favours though, so I could be facing anything from a wall of tanks to a horde of conscripts. I've tried to keep my options open, by going for some AP5 goodness, as well as some anti-armour and anti-horde weapons to be applied as needed.

Doctrines

Storm Troopers
Grenadiers (I know I don't normally need to take both, but I want some as elites and some as troops)
Sharpshooters
Iron Discipline
One other - any suggestions? If nothing better, I'll take Close Order Drill

- You're right, you don't need to take both. If you take grenadiers you get stormtroopers free (see FAQ)
I suggest close order drill and Drop Troops for Guard vs. guard. 9now you have 2 slots open) In melee Close order drill is absolute king (vs guard that is)

HQ

Command Squad: JO with Honorifica, Iron Discipline; Mortar [80]
Anti-Tank Squad: 3 Lascannons, Sharpshooters [120]
Fire Support Squad: 3 Autocannons, Sharpshooters [105]

Autocannons are a fantastic weapon for guard, they chew up eldar, rhinos, tau, daemons etc. But they're useless at shooting circa AV14. Drop Autocannons, add Missile Launchers (and get a better pen, and better anti infantry)

Elite

Good choice, well done. Get those tanks boys.
The only thing that's missing is 5x man vet squad with a lascannon (It infiltrates and picks off that basalisk / or LR side armour. The rest of the squad may as well have ccw+laspistols.) approx 70 points.

Troops

Grenadiers: Vet Sgt with Bolter + 9 Troopers, 2 Plasma Guns [127]
Chimera: Multilaser, Hull Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour, Smoke Launchers [93]

Good gods man, you must be fond of your bolter conversion and their paint job.
You don't need 5 of the hellgun armed troops, or the 7point boltgun. Save 57 points.

Armoured Fist Squad: Vet Sgt with Storm Bolter + 9 Troopers, Flamer [77]
Chimera: Multilaser, Hull Heavy Bolter, Extra Armour, Pintle Heavy Stubber [102]

That's a 11 point storm bolter. Bad man. Put it down. Save 11 points.

Platoon: JO with LP/CCW, 2 Flamers, 2 Veterans with Bolters [66]
3x Squad: Sgt with Lasgun + 9 Troopers, Heavy Bolter, Grenade Launcher [3x 78]

Drop the two 7 point boltguns. I hope all of the command squad has ccw + laspistols. save 14 points.

Add a 5 man remnant squad with flamer, for a bank breaking 36 points

Heavy Support

Leman Russ: 3x Heavy Bolter [155]
Leman Russ: 3x Heavy Bolter, Pintle Heavy Stubber [167]

Smoke Launchers? If stunned you get a 50% chance of ignoring next turn's fire, at 3% of the tank's total cost. 6 points added

Total: 1498 pts

I'm well aware that the Storm Bolter would be far more useful on the Storm Trooper Vet Sgt than the AF Squad Sarge, but I'm unfortunately limited by models until I can get my hands on some bitz.
Good. (I wouldn't convert that at this point, as come mid next year i'd put money that that option is dropped with the new dex.)
Hmm. After 1st draft it's currently 30 points over, if you add the 70 point Hardened vet squad.

Question: Why do you have a free Heavy Slot if you're playing Guard?
Answer: There's a mistake.
Aha! I see it, it's the chimera and armoured fist squad. Gain 168 points.
Add Leman Russ with Triple HB's and Smoke = 158 points. 10 Leftover

Let's make 20 points. (Or 18 actually)
Aha! I just realised those drop trooping stormtroopers are 6 man squads. Make them 5 man squads. Add 22 points. (4 to spend.) Krak Grenades on the Troop Officer, a couple of bolt pistols for them too?

If you want more troop choices (I dropped your A.Fist squad, and took 5 men out of the stormtrooper squad, however added 5 remnants)

I would also reccomend after the first draft: Dropping the grenadiers and their chimera completely.
That last chimera is your weak link in your armour anyway. Stick three AV14 fronts and a AV12 at him, and all his autocannons etc are going to swivel around and point at the chimera. Three AV14 fronts = They're a very expensive anti infantry weapon. Or, a range 48" heavy lasgun that wounds on a 2+. Add 168 points.

Then add: Junior officer, squad with ccw+laspistols, 2x flamers. (52 points)
one of your three squads assigned to the original JO goes under his command
add a squad with Grenade launcher and Heavy Bolter(85)
add a 5 man remnant squad with flamer (36)

Next time i come back i expect to hear how you were upgrading your drop troops to jungle fighters and deep striking with heavy flamers (Also effective vs Tau and Eldar too, and highly entertaining although fairly silly. Opponents tend to shove their men packed into cover vs a gunline.)

There. My job here is done.
Strikes pose with fist in air and leaves thread. Attractive women watching the forums exclaim: "What a guy" in a husky voice.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I've found that he rudest thing I can bring to the table vs IG is Hellhounds, and Sister of Battle allies in rhinos with HFlamer/flamer combos or Seraphim with twin hand flamers, and an Eviscerator. or Seraphim with twin-linked inferno pistols and an Eviscerator if you wanna kill tanks dead. If you put Books of St. Lucius on the Sisters or Seraphim, your guardsmen can use their UNMODIFIED leadersip if they are within 6" so it can solve some of the IG's LD issues.

but then again, I loveses me some girls in power armor.

other than that, Stayscrunchy's suggestions are good. I prefer Vets to ST's, but that's personal preference.

also, MORTARS. a Mortar support squad is nice vs. IG.

I've also become fond of Missile Launcher / Grenade Launcher combos in line squads. (you don't have good BS? small blasts still hit something when they scatter)

that's how I'm rude to Guard. SoB's mortars, blast templates.

·
2,399 Posts
I've found that he rudest thing I can bring to the table vs IG is Hellhounds, and Sister of Battle allies in rhinos with HFlamer/flamer combos or Seraphim with twin hand flamers, and an Eviscerator. or Seraphim with twin-linked inferno pistols and an Eviscerator if you wanna kill tanks dead. If you put Books of St. Lucius on the Sisters or Seraphim, your guardsmen can use their UNMODIFIED leadersip if they are within 6" so it can solve some of the IG's LD issues.

but then again, I loveses me some girls in power armor.

other than that, Stayscrunchy's suggestions are good. I prefer Vets to ST's, but that's personal preference.

also, MORTARS. a Mortar support squad is nice vs. IG.

I've also become fond of Missile Launcher / Grenade Launcher combos in line squads. (you don't have good BS? small blasts still hit something when they scatter)

that's how I'm rude to Guard. SoB's mortars, blast templates.
Yep, it's flames on em ASAP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts