Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have been agonising for ages over what my Eldar army list will contain, and cannot seem to come to a conclusion that at least a few people will say is simply crappy, IRL or online. What I am trying to go for here is a moderately balanced, moderately effective and flexible list that can fair well against multiple army types (mostly non-competitive) without being boring to play. My main worry are that I have too few models on the board (numbering only 36 infantry, 2 monstrous creatures and 2 tanks), but I don't really want to just fill up with multiples of the same unit, as that is boring (for me) to play and paint.

The general tactics for this list is for the Pathfinders to sit on a home objective (cover) while my main foot force marches fearlessly towards the enemy. My Wraithlord and Fire Prisms deal with tanks (fire prisms also owning most infantry) while my banshees fly over to the enemy, disembark (and if possible get fortuned) then assault, but I realise that 6th gen has further gimped transporting units so I am unsure of how effective this will be. The farseer will stay with the bulk, casting fortune and dooming stuff :D

As potential options I could put Stiking Scorps in, either in a WS or flanking/infiltrated, remove a fire prism/ wraithlord to add another Avenger squad, or possibly get a Fire dragons squad in a WS/ Falcon. So here is the list, please help me however you can - I am thick-skinned and can take a forum-based beating :p

Farseer- Doom, Fortune, Spirit Stones, Singing Spear - 133

10 Dire Avengers- Exarch, 2 Avenger SC, Bladestorm - 152

10 Dire Avengers- Same ^ - 152

Rangers- Pathfinders- 120

10 Howling Banshees- Exarch, Mirror blades, War shout - 187

Dedicated Transoprt Wave Serpent- Spirit Stones, Star Engines, Scatter Lazer - 140

Fire Prism- Holo-fields - 150

Fire Prism- Holo-fields - 150

Wraithlord- Brightlance, EML, Wraithsword (mainly for putting the points up by 10.) - 165

1504pts

Please forgive me if I made any mistakes - I did double-check though.
And thanks for any help/ criticism you can give me :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I'll stick my oar in.Not because I'm one of these guys who just likes to beef your list. But just a few ideas that may be useful in squeezing points out of what you already have.

Farseer - no real problems. I would check the rule book to see if you want to try and swap any of the powers in there for the ones you have taken from the codex. If that's the case, take two really cheap ones and swap them out. I like to run my Farseers with Runes of Warding too for psychic defence. You're going to be seeing more psychic than before, so this is really useful.

Avatar - people don't think he's competitive online - and nor do I particularly - but he looks the bomb and his fluff is really good so keep him in, it makes your army look good on the table. Plus he's good fun to play, which is what youre after. He'll either rip everything to shit, or get killed by a lasgun... If you want a seriously compeitive list I'd drop him though

Dire Avengers - This is the perfect set up for these guys so no complaints here. But they will need to take a transport - you can't foot slog these bad boys. Even all the way through cover.

Pathfinders These guys are a great choice. Lots of cover and the ability to deal rending shots and single out models. I'd put my Farseer with them and use the primaris power from the rule book to guide their shots home.

Howling Banshees - These guys are fun. But you wont get chance to experience it. You can't disembark and assault any more - even if you stayed stationary. So they have to hang about for a turn getting shot before you can assault... and even then you're going to get overwatched. I love Banshees, but until we get an open-topped vehicle keep them on the shelf because you wont ever get to use them and that wont be fun.

Fire Prism Prisms got LOADS beter in this edition since the hole of the template doesn't matter any more and even a partial hit means the full strength. I think these guys will make a comeback. Drop Holofields because now the glancing/penetrating system has changed, modifying your results wont be all that useful. It doesn't negate you losing Hull Points so it's a points sink that you wont see any benefit from. - Keep them basic. None of their upgrades help much any more. You won't need to move them much.

Wraithlord - Again, not super competitive but looks good on the table and is fun to play with so keep him in and paint him up good. Maybe take the sword off because he's too slow to be long range AND close combat.

I hope that's helped?

My advice would be to play something like this:

Farseer
Primaris Power (SuperGuide)
Runes of Warding

5x Pathfinders

8x Dire Avengers
+ Exarch
+ Blade Storm
+ Dual Catapults
+ Serpent
+ Shuriken Cannons

8x Dire Avengers
+ Exarch
+ Blade Storm
+ Dual Catapults
+ Serpent
+ Shuriken Cannons

Fire Prism

Fire Prism

Wraithlord
+ EML
+ Bright Lance (for long range)

This leaves you about 300 points. You might consider Harlequins if you want a painting challenge. They're always good fun. Or Warp Spiders? And if you want some edge you definitely need Fire Dragons. They are at the start of EVERY single list for me because they're ruinous. But they do need a transport. Best bet is to run them cheap at 5 dragons, no exarch and a cheap serpent. Also, war walkers are excellent. They're REALLY cheap and can deal lots of shots.

Hope that's given you some ideas.

For my Eldar list I took to throne of skulls and changes I made after look here for extra ideas. It's pretty samey in terms of units, but it is competitive: http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/eldar-army-lists/223645-notes-throne-skulls.html

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your input there, and yeah im going to take out the banshees, put the DAs in WSs, and probably take out the wraithlord and try to squeeze in a dire avenger squad, maybe in a falcon. I'll be back later with the revised list :D Oh and as for War walkers - i get them, and i understand their merits, but i... just dont like them xD I'll just keep with the prisms ^^ Thanks again for your comment, i have taken it all on board.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Thanks for your input there, and yeah im going to take out the banshees, put the DAs in WSs, and probably take out the wraithlord and try to squeeze in a dire avenger squad, maybe in a falcon. I'll be back later with the revised list :D Oh and as for War walkers - i get them, and i understand their merits, but i... just dont like them xD I'll just keep with the prisms ^^ Thanks again for your comment, i have taken it all on board.
Yeah. You should play units that are fun, not that are necessarily the most competitive. Sack off another dire avenger squad and get a good elites choice in there. That's the best way to ensure a fun game. Remember Falcons can only hold 6 Avengers so you wont fit a full squad in :)

Let me know what you finally decide :) Happy gaming!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Again I'm away from home so cant make a revised list but I just wanted to clarify that I meant Fire Dragons in the falcon, not Dire Avengers - derp xD

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Ok here is my revised list. It has changed a lot, and may be subject to even more change, but I think this one might be a lot more competitive than the first in a 6th ed game.

Farseer- Doom, Fortune, Spirit Stones, Singing Spear - 133

8 Dire Avengers- Exarch, power weapon and shimmershield, defend, bladestorm - 153

8 Dire Avengers- Exarch, power weapon and shimmershield, defend, bladestorm - 153

5 Rangers- Pathfinders - 120

10 Wraithguard- Warlock with Conceal and singing spear - 393

8 Howling Banshees- Exarch, Mirrorswords, War Shout, Acrobatic- 160

Fire Prism- 115

Fire Prism- 115

1497pts

Ok so the general gist of my new, foot-sloggy-er army is the new linchpin, the wraithguard, who I have come to understand are awesome - with a warlock (conceal) and farseer (fortune) they just don't die, and I imagine a lot of firepower will be wasted trying ineffectually to get rid of them. There is also a high-priority target in the Avatar - if he dies, then so be it- he sponged fire from my less resilient units, but if he is ignored he grants fearlessness and is a nasty guy to have up-close and personal. My dire avengers do their usual dire avengey stuff, whilst also now being much more difficult to assault what with power wep/ shimmer + defend. My back line of rangers and fire prisms prioritize dangerous units to my main force. Lastly my banshees are a cheapish counter-charge unit with hit and run for nasty tactical withdrawals.

So, my army firstly has many more bodies, which I am pleased with, and also less "fatty bits" - the opponent will be able to prioritize my units, but hopefully the fact that to do this he will have to ignore other units will be his downfall. I'm starting to think that mech is not my thing, and may start to suck more in 6th. A possible alternative if the banshees don't work/ aren't needed is to remove them and either replace them with an equal points Stirking Scorpions squad, or replace them with an 80pts fire dragons unit in a 100pts wave serpent (I would also have to remove 20pts of upgrades from an other unit(s), such as the Dire Avengers.

Two other ideas was to somehow squeeze Eldrad in there to replace the Farseer, and possibly replace the Avatar with the Yriel if it seemed like a good idea xD

1 - 6 of 6 Posts