Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My list:
-10 Dire Avengers with shooty exarch and Bladestorm (x2)
-Farseer with Doom and Runes or Warding
-Farseer with Doom
-Waveserpent with EML's and Spirit Stones (X2) [for Avengers]
-6 Fire Dragons with exarch
-Waveserpent with Shuri. Cannons, an under-slung Shuri. Cannon and spirit stones [for Dragons]
-7 Warp Spiders with exarch and extra spinner
-8 Pathfinders
-8 Striking Scorpions with exarch, infiltrate, and a claw
-Viper with Scatterlasers and Shuri. Cannon

If you've read my previous post in Battel Reports, this happened right after. I switched some things around in my army since I thought the Wraithlord would be wasted on 'Nids.

Tyranids:
-Swarmlord with 2 guard
-20 Termaguants (flesh borers) (x2)
-2 Tervigons, one with Claws and Venom Sacs, the other with adrenal glands (furious charge)
-Mawlock
-Trygon Prime
-2 Zoanthropes

The guy didn't have extra guant models to produce so he just waited for me to kill some of the ones on the board. As if that was going to happen! The battle was pitched with 2 objectives (AGAIN!) and the objectives were placed across form each other. Bring it!

Deployment: I set up my tanks spread around in a nice nondescript semi-circle around facing his objective and infiltrated my pathfinders onto the building overlooking my objective. The Scorpions infiltrated behind some cliffs half way up the board and off to my left. They waited in ambush.

His army set up around the objective. Two tervigons in the middle flanked by guants and the Swarmlord behind.The rest was in reserve.

Top of 1: I had first and made good use of shooting at the front tervigon. I wasn't going to waste time killing guants and the swarmlord is slow and tough. The clawed Tervigon takes 2 wounds from stuff. Tanks move around doing nothing.

Bottom of 1: His whole army is shootingless and so runs up together. Everything except Swarmy gets 1 on their run (1's and 2's) and the Swarmlord moves along the line towards my right flank. One Tervigon rolls doubles on his useless spawn roll and dries up (the one I havn't been shooting!).

Top of 2: Spiders don't come in and the tanks continue to circle his army. One DA Waveserpent moves up onto the cliff the Spiders are hiding to complete the semi-circle and the rest stay mostly stationary.

Shooting kills the front Tervigon and the guants get sad and lose 4 in one squad and 3 in the other.

Bottom of 2: Mawloc comes in and scatters into the thick of my army and very near my objective (no casualties). The Trygon doesn't enter but the Zoanthropes do! They waddle onto the board across from the Waveserpent on the cliff.

The 2 Zoans blow up the Waveserpent on the cliff and leaves its occupants (-2 DA's) stranded on a nice vantage point. The rest moves up and guants get furious charge. The Swarmlord moves into some trees on the right side to try and get to that flank's tanks.

Top of 3: Spiders come in and deep strike near the Mawloc which terrifies me. The rest of his army is still far enough so I decide to take out the Mawloc and disembark Fire Dragons to deal with it. The Scorpions move around the side of their cliff to come at the guants from the left flank.

Between the Spiders, Dragons, and Pathfinders the Mawloc drops. The stranded DA's on the hill kill a Zoanthrope and the scorpions wipe one of the Guants Squads that moved up to support the Mawloc.

Bottom of 3: The Trygon Prime comes in and scatters within 6 inches of the Mawloc's corpse! The rest of the army sweeps left and the other guants line up to get at the Scorpions.

The Trygon Prime kills 3 Spiders. The Guants kill 3 scortions in shooting. In assualt the scorpions get hit by furious guants. At the end it was 3 Guants and 3 Scorpions still in combat. 4 of the stranded Dire Avengers die to the remaining Zoanthrope.

Top of 4: The Dragons move to get at the Trygon, the Spiders do too, and the Viper moves to either shoot the Trygon or Zoanthrope. The other DA Waveserpent on the right continues dancing around the Swarm Lord.

The Trygon dies a fiery death and the Viper does nothing to the Zoanthrope. The Scorpions kill the remaining Guants and consolidate back from the Termigon.

The battle was pretty much over at this point. The last Termigon died trying to get back to his objective, the Zoanthrope survived lots of S6 and kills some of the DA's camping his objective. The Swarmlord takes his frustration out on the Pathfinders and then the Spiders.

Victory for the Eldar!

Thoughts: This battle went very well, especially compared to the last one (read the Tau battle report). His Mawloc and Trygon came at me piecemeal and I was able to deal with those scary beasts before facing the rest of the army. No shooting on his side was also helpful.

Thanks for reading.

·
1,273 Posts
nice stuff...(but next time to get the real challange allow your opponent to proxy his new squad of gaunts - my honest oppinion).

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. I was busy changing my army list and being terrified of his two giant burying worms (Mawloc and Trygon Prime) to correct him when he explained that he'd have to wait for Guants to die. I'm pretty sure he even had a bunch of Hormaguants sitting in his case. I guess he just watched me get wrecked by Tau and felt he didn't need it. It might have made a big difference though your right.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
he needs shooty units, tyranids can only kill one thing at a time, so capitalising his inability to kill the transport and then the men inside is very good.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Not to dim down your victory, but that is a horrifically bad list, and he made a couple of stupidly basic errors.

For a start, why on earth did he roll for the tervigon in the first turn? The rule says "CAN" spawn some guants, you dont have to. If he hadnt done that it might have made a difference later on, when he would of had guants to bring on. Perhaps you should point that out to him next time you see him.

The swarmlord is insane for this level of points, that pretty much doomed him at the start.

He hasnt got nearly enough ranged anti tank either as antique says, he needs hive guard or more thropes.

Third hes got some useless upgrades, such as claws on one of the tervgions. The thropes needed a pod too.

Lastly what was the swarmlord doing? It sounds like it just went up a flank, it should have been barreling down the middle, paryoxism-ing everything it could and then leeching your stronger units.

However you played the game very well, and out stategised him from the sounds of it. Congratulations.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for those points Heirodule. I actually hadn't played the new Tyranids until that day and had no idea about the rules. He used the Swarmlord like I'd use a Tyrant in 4th but I guess the Swarmy has a more central role. The Tervigon thing is hillarious because he spent the whole set up lamenting the fact that he "had to roll for spawn no matter what". Go figure. that makes good sense to only roll sometimes as there's risk. Apparently the Tervigons are also expensive as s***, like Land Raider expensive. He took 2 when he couldn't even use them to their potential. Oh well, I got some easy practise in using my new Eldar list.

Just to clarify, this guy wasn't a 13-year-old I butchered. I wouldn't have been so serious and aggressive if I knew all the stuff you've said. The guy sounded knowledgeable so I went all out with points denial, isolations, and objective-based thinking. Hopefully he at least learned as much about his army as I did about mine.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
The guy sounded knowledgeable.
Which is never usually a good sign when using a new codex :)

Im interested to see you mention the tervgions cost, most decent ones in the nid forum are only coming out at about 180 ;)

And its no problem happy to point stuff out. Looking back over the report you did do everything right, i honestly dont think it would of made a difference had he known what he should be doing.

Anyway I enjoyed it and please let me know if you post up any more.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Great battle report however the tyranid always adapt. Fear the great devourer

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Great battle report however the tyranid always adapt. Fear the great devourer
And fear the great spam! ;)

I think the Nid guy needed at least two Hive Guard, those guns can kill. I agree with the other members on all points as well, and i think that the Tyranid player could learn quite a lot from this game.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts