9 man assalt squad
2 flamers
powerfist
229pts

3 landspeeders
2 assalt cannons
1 typhoon misile launcher
270pts

Any ideas on how i could make it better?

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
A few points:

A) Twin powerfists on a character isn't beardy, it's suicidal. It is way to many points for something that drops you initiative to 1. Consider powerweapons/relic blade/lightning claws. The points can certainly be better spent (like on Calgar.)

B)Tactical squads can't take non-vet options until it's 10 men big. That means you tactical squad B.

C)Terminators should try to take a special weapon. All of them are good options, even in the new environment.

D)Since the Deathwind Missile Launcher can't fire the turn it comes in and it has a terrible range, consider dropping it for more free points that can be used to upgrade those terminators or get more tactical marines.

E)Assault Squads need to be ten men before getting a second special weapon. Add one more or drop the flamer. Sorry.

F)Landspeeders...put them in different squads. Consider dropping one to boost the tactical squad.

E)Miscellaneous-Get a razorback or rhino for those tactical squads if you can. You won't be disappointed. I never am.

Hope that helped.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Never knew about the tacts...

My leader is going with the assault squad, so as the codex says, 'for every 5 models in the squad 1 space marine may replace his bolt pistol'

I have 2 razorbacks/rhinos? not sure how i could fit them in? since there both twinlinked las-cannon it kinda out rules the razorbacks.

Ive not tried my new landspeeders out yet! will do on Friday. Then ill see if there worth the points... if there not ill strip them back to just heavy bolters.

Is assault cannon good for termies? or heavy flamer?

Ive tried the deathwind launcher... how could you talk that about it? in 750 point battles it crushes horde army and non hord army troops into the ground.

·
243 Posts
Chaplain gives you the ability to re-roll failed to hits, so with a squad of ten assault marines, on the charge, this can give you around 35 attacks with a re-roll all failed to hits - quite potent and one that I'm hoping for a good result with tonight :)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im thinking about dropping the 2 assault cannons from the landspeeders and dropping the typhoon misile one all together.

What could i get for the same points?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok heres the list now:

HQ
Space marine master
powerfist x2(bit beardy i know!)
Arti armor
jump pack
digital weapons
225PTS
--------------------------------
Troops
10man tac squad
1 melta
1 missile launcher
1 power fist
205 pts

10man tac squad
1 melta
1 missile launcher
185pts
--------------------------------
Elites
5man terminator squad
200pts

1 drednought with MM
and drop pod with death wind launcher and locator beacon
170pts

1 dreadnought with MM
105pts
-------------------------------
Fast attack
9 man assalt squad
2 flamers
powerfist
229pts

2 landspeeders
2 assalt cannons
180pts

1499pts

On friday i think ill buy 2 chaplains(power fist one and jump pack one so i can give the power fist one a jump pack)

unless theres a better idea?

·
Inquisitorial Aspirant
452 Posts
I would still caution against the two powerfists on the leader since that is 25 points for just another attack. Your call though, go with god dude.

The leader doesn't count toward the assault squad size when determining what they can take since he isn't with them when they're purchased. You still need a tenth man.

With the new rules for skimmers, I'd say that you should go with the Typhoon over the assault cannon. It keeps you out of 24' range, which is full of things that eat Land Speeders alive.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It says every 5 models in the squad, he is a model and hes in the squad... The is nothing saying that they have to be assault marines and Ive had my list checked many times with this particular squad in by games workshop staff before mini tournaments.

And with the power fists... I get many people admiring that model so i think ill keep it like that, the first time it has died in battle was today, whilst surrounded with banshees it killed 4 before it was insta-killed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry, but the assault squad must have 10 members for 2 special weapons. Reason being, when your purchasing the squad, the squad will only have 9 members, so they can only choose 1 special weapon.

Also, the Master is not part of the squad, he is attached to the squad (minor point, but it may help in understanding).

As for the list, I would suggest:

- Giving a heavy weapon to the terminators
- A drop pod or a longer range weapon for the second dreadnought
- An additional marine for the assault squad,
- Plasma guns rather than meltaguns for the tactical squads OR a transport for the Fist and special weapon

To find the some points for those I would suggest dropping:
- The Master's Armour, as most weapons who will be attacking him which are going to hurt him are going to be ignoring armour. Also, if I'm right in thinking digiweapons allow re-roll to wounds, then perhaps somewhat pointless with powerfists, though I'm undoubtedly going to be wrong.
- Deathwind launcher, as it can't fire on the turn it arrives, and any ubnit who will be truly scared of it will be able to escape it's range within a turn.
- If you don't buy the tactical squad a transport, I would probably consider dropping the powerfist, as it's very slow for just a powerfist delivery squad.
- Perhaps the assault cannons on the landspeeders, as moving slow enough to fire them makes them vunerable.

One last point, I would consider somehow fitting in a third troops choice, and a way for the current ones to reach a distant objective.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im definatly not losing the deathwind launcher, as it normaly kills at leats a unit of troops a battle (not bad for 20 points!!!)

I normaly place it near an objective :)

And ive just bought some vanguard veterans, i converted them to all carry power sword and bolt pistol.

And with the meltas in the squad, they too are VERY usefull for taking out tanks/walkers/anything were as plasma guns cost more, are weaker, and theres a chance that you melt your own brains out... wich would you choose in a battle?

though im not sure how to get a single assault marine... as i converted one from the squad into my leader.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts