Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, first post to LO so go easy on me :)

I'm about to play in a homebrew map campaign where, basically, you pick one army list for your army and that list is the one you'll use throughout the entire campaign. It's likely that i'll be facing Necron, Tau, Eldar and Tyrannid opponents, on a regular basis, and I'll have a guard ally (althoug it's unlikely we'll participate in the same battle at the same time as our objectives differ widely.

I've put together a general list below, and am looking for feedback/suggestions etc. The rest of the players are fairly tolerant of the odd point here or there, so the odd 2 points here or there won't break the bank.

My general strategy is for Command squad and rhino mounted tac squad to handle all of the assault needs (backed up by termies) and everything else to shoot hell out of opposing infatry/light vehicles...

Grim Avengers Space Marine Campaign List 1500pts

1 Captain (HQ)
Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Weapon (x1)
Melta Bombs
Frag Grenades

7 Command Squad
Bolt Pistol & CCWep. (x6); Flamer (x1); Frag Grenades

1 Apothecary
Bolt Pistol & CCWep.; Frag Grenades
#Narthecium
#Reductor

1 Veteran Sergeant
Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Weapon (x1)

1 Venerable Dreadnought (Elites)
Storm Bolter; Assault Cannon; Tank Hunter Skill

5 Terminator Squad (Elites)
Power Fist (x5); Storm Bolter (x3); Assault Cannon (x2); Tank Hunter Skill

1 Sergeant
Power Weapon; Storm Bolter; Tank Hunter Skill
#Terminator Armour

6 Tactical Squad (Troops)
Bolter (x5); Heavy Bolter (x1)

1 Sergeant
Bolter

6 Tactical Squad (Troops)
Bolter (x5); Missile Launcher (x1)

1 Sergeant
Bolter

8 Tactical Squad (Troops)
Bolter (x7); Meltagun (x1); Frag Grenades

1 Veteran Sergeant
Frag Grenades; Bolt Pistol (x1); Power Weapon (x1)

1 Rhino APC
Storm Bolter

1 LS Tornado #1 @
Assault Cannon; Heavy Bolter

1 Land Raider (Heavy Support)
Linked Lascannon (x2); Twin Heavy Bolters
#Power of the Machine Spirit
Smoke Launchers

Models in Army: 43 Total Army Cost: 1502

·
Registered
277 Posts
It is my opinion.....take my advice with a grain of salt as I am do not have a space marine army as of yet....that you are sinking a lot of points into that land raider. Your HQ choice is questionable as well.

I would personally select a chaplain as my HQ, give him a jump pack and attach him to an asssault squad.
I would also drop your land raider give myself another LS tornado and spend my remaining points on another tac squad

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think your crazy to have a 282 point... Captain!:)
I dont know how that happend. My well fequiped master only costs 170.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1st up - sorry about points costs - removed (just took a .txt dump from Army Builder and didn't think *looks shamefaced*)

@Fallout: the points originaly listed for the captain included the command squad, apothecary and vet sergeant :)

@Gunslinger: Chaplain HQ is definitely doable, although I'm leery of assault squads as I normally play against IG a lot and assault squads make great ordanace targets as they hare up the field.

I'm out of luck on taking a second LS as I don't own a second one (and I've bought too much 40K stuff lately to countenance buying another :) ).

Anyone got any other suggestions re: replacing the land raider and what with? I'm thinking that I should have at least some heavy support with a bit of punch for taking down eldar and tau tanks, Necrons and tyranid biggies, and the LR looked to me to kill 2 birds, transport for command and mobile lascannons.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well you can almost get 2 annihilators for the cost of your one land raider, drop your rhino and all the points you saved from the command squad (because you would attach the chaplain to your assault squad) You could build yourself a formidable devastator squad.

Don't forget that an assault squad gets a 12" inch move because of their jump packs. Also don't forget that because of the chaplain, him and the assault squad will get to reroll missed hits when they charge.

I myself run tyranids, and having that assault squad available to employ and "counter" strike could very well turn the tide of battle in your favor. Imagine the tyranid players surprise when the squad of genestealers (don't forget that this unit will be somewhat depleted thanks to one round of shooting) he thinks is going to slam into your lines is stopped cold by your assault squad, who jump in shoot the heck out of them from rapid range, then assault them, I am not for certain but I think that is 4 or 5 power weapon attacks from your chaplain and you get to reroll misses AND if I am not mistaken your chaplain would go on the same initiative as the genestealers!!!!

It is unfortunate that you can't get a second LS as they are the bane of a tyranid players army. Two landspeeders would definitely serve you well on your flanks where most tyranid players are going to place their genestealers and move them without fear of getting shot at.

·
LO Oldie
1,248 Posts
1.) The commander needs terminator honours and a combat shield. Meltabombs probably wont be used, just go with a captain w/ pwr weapon, bolt pistol, temrie honours, combat shield = 101pts
its a good deal, if you have extra points make him a master for greater survivability.

2.) dont need frags on the command squad, then the vet sgt needs a powerfist. melta will be better instead of flamer... or have one of each

3.) drop tank hunters on the dread and termies. if you get the extra d6 for AP from rending then u wont need to add +1 to the roll, you'll penetrate anyways.

4.) First 2 tac squads look good, just maybe drop the Hvy bolter for a lascannon.

5.) third tac squad is fine but you need a pwrfist sgt and smoke and extra armour on the rhino.

6.) LST is good

7.) Drop the Land raider. not worth it in 1500 games. Yes it'll kill 2 birds w/ one stone but it'll be moving 6" a turn in order to support your troops and they can move that much by themselves w/out a raider.

Overall, not bad. If you want your command squad to be cc, give them a drop pod. thats where the command squad melta comes in. WIth the massive bulk of pts saved from the raider, add a predator anihilator, and maybe 1 more tac squad w/ lascannon, and a whirlwind can help you out against all that light infantry w/out taking a lot of points.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for your feedback - I'll post back in a few weeks and let you know how I did :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts