Sternguard ( 10 men, power fist, combi melta x4, melta bombs) 300

FAST ATTACK

10 men Assault squad (melta bombs x2, flamer, power sword) 225

HEAVY SUPPORT

Vindicator 115

Whirlwind 85

TOTAL: 1500

librarian goes with the sternguard squad, chaplain with assault squad

Plan: Librarian ferries the sternguard around the board while preventing the farseer from using psychic powers, Whirlwind takes out the thousands of guardians he has, assault squad umps around killing things like fire prisms and infantry, vindicator is for anything really.

Simple plan, but hopefully effective!

any feedback appreciated!

Carrotman

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Overall, I find vs. any opponent that redundancy is key. I've been learning this the hard way. You seem to have a "one of everything" approach. Not saying having a single unit of one kind is bad per se, but you should strive to have as few of those as possible. That way, when you set out to accomplish a task (say, wiping out hordes, taking out vehicles, or whatever), your opponent has to kill a minimum TWO units to stop you. Harder than just the one.

Take your assault squad, which is for running around "killing things like fire prisms and infantry." Nice, but all the eggs are in one basket. Better to give up something else in your list and build TWO of these squads (granted, one won't have a chaplain, but meh).

Same issue with the tacs. If you give them both the SAME special weapon (instead of one flamer, one meltagun), you can send them BOTH on the same errand. That doubles the odds that you'll succeed with whatever short-term goal you assign them. Geddit?

The other benefit to "doubling up." You can, if you really wanna throw your opponent for a loop, create two "mini armies." I'm usually not one for dividing forces, but if you're not outnumbered, it can work. Try it sometime.

I like the sniper squad, but set aside some points to throw Telion (or a counts as) in there, along with a special weapon of some kind (like a heavy bolter with the hellfire shells). Now you've got a pretty good objective camping unit.

Re: heavy support. I've personally never liked whirlwinds. Way too random, they don't do enough damage, and seem way too vulnerable to deep strikers. Vindicators are fine if you're the "hang back and let the enemy come to me" type. Then, you can use the assault squads to countercharge. Only issue is, not every opponent will come to you. THEN what do you do?

All in all, it's a good start, but needs some work, I think. I like the librarian and sternguard. Maybe give them a Rhino to run around in. Keeps them safe.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I see what you mean with the doubling up thing. How about this?

HQ

Librarian (Epistolary, Null Zone, Gate) 150

TROOPS

Tactical Squad (flamer, missile launcher, Rhino) 205

Tactical Squad (falmer, missile launcher, rhino) 205

Scout Squad (sniper rifles, Telion, heavy bolter) 135

ELITES

Sternguard ( 10 men, power fist, combi melta x4, melta bombs) 300 (combat squad)

FAST ATTACK

10 men Assault squad (melta bombs x2, flamer, power sword) 225 (combat squad)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Vindicator 115

Vindicator 115

Total = 1480

·
Registered
5 Posts
HQ

Librarian (Epistolary, Null Zone, Gate) 150

TROOPS

Tactical Squad (flamer, missile launcher, Rhino) 205

Tactical Squad (falmer, missile launcher, rhino) 205

Scout Squad (sniper rifles, Telion, heavy bolter) 135

ELITES

Sternguard ( 10 men, power fist, combi melta x4, melta bombs) 300 (combat squad)

FAST ATTACK

10 men Assault squad (melta bombs x2, flamer, power sword) 225 (combat squad)

HEAVY SUPPORT

Vindicator 115

Vindicator 115

Total = 1480

Hello, I like your list as it is differnt from my list and it can sldo pack a punch.
But may i suggest a thing or two to consider. I only suggest the following as one of the players in our group is an Eldar player and I have had plenty of experiences...some not for the good.. hahahaha.
First, you have 20 extra points... please use them. That is 4 additional combi weapons to your Sternguard. I have made that mistake in the past only to think if I only had one more melta or flamer.
Instead of 2 vindicators try a vindicator, a predator or dreadnought. The Vindicator can only fire up to 24 inches and if your going first thats a lost round of fire. At least with a predator you have the chance to do some damage with an autocannon. I have not beaten my Eldar opponent when I used a vindicator. One reason is if I am firing first, the vindicator does not get it's shot off because he sets his army just out of range so he can counter attack in his turn 1. If he goes first anything he has that is long range with high strength fires at it first to at least achieve a no shooting result for my turn which allows him to advance or redeploy
If your opponet fields an Avatar flamers and meltas are not much help. Lascannons if you can get them in always helps. One of my opponents tanks reduces the strength of the weapon by 1. Assault Cannons can be very helpful with the rending ability. If your opponent flelds jet bikes or warlwalkers take them out first. Jet bikes are crunchy and can be a quick kill point. If he sits his war walker in the back so as to just keep hitting you with long range stuff you will need a lascannon for distance and strength as well as for wraithlords and tanks.
Also try to get a rhino for the Sternguard and Librarian as they are a high cost squad that needs some protection.
I hope this helps and adds some thought to your army. Happy Gaming.

For the Emperor,
Chapter Master Lord

1 - 4 of 4 Posts