Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Pirate Chaos Space Marine
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started to reconsider my previous heavy vehicle contingent and came up with an army that looks like this.
Please let me know what you think and ways to improve it.

=============
HQ (355pts/21%)
=============

Chaos Sorcerer (195pts)
*Mark of Tzeentch, Daemonic Steed, Doom Bolt, Warp Time

Chaos Lord (160pts)
*Bike, Daemonic Weapon

==============
Elites (275pts/16%)
==============

4 x Chaos Terminators (140pts)
*4 x Combi-plasma

5 x Chosen Chaos Space Marines (135pts)
*5 x Flamer, Icon of Chaos Glory

===============
Troops (580pts/34%)
===============

10 x Chaos Space Marines (190pts)
*Icon of Chaos Glory, 2 x Plasma Gun

9 x Chaos Space Marines (195pts)
*Icon of Chaos Glory, 1 x Melta Gun, Aspiring Champion(with Power-Fist)

==================
Fast Attack (339pts/20%)
==================

7 x Raptors (210pts)
*Icon of Chaos Glory, 2 x Melta Gun, Aspiring Champion(with Dual Lightning Claws)

3 x Chaos Bikes (129pts)
*Icon of Chaos Glory, 2 x Melta Gun

====================
Heavy Support (150pts/9%)
====================

2 x Obliterators

===============
Grand Total: 1699pts
===============

Tactics:
I will use chosen, raptors and bikes to take up froward positions and guide terminators and possibly obliterators into good positions.
The low amount Heavy Support anti tank capability will be made upp by fast and mobile short range (raptors, bikes) and durable (meltas in squads) anti tank capability.

At first I was considering dropping terminator armor (and equivalents) and go for an all power armor army. Since there are no vehicle to draw AT-fire that means that all my enemies AT units will focus on terminators and obliterators and that was what I wanted to avoid by not taking any. Then I decided to take them anyway. I'm hoping to deep strike them into good positions to survive until I can put them into close combat or in the case of the obliterators, just in good enough positions to survive. Also I'm keeping these units cheap so that even if I fail to keep them safe, it's not a lost battle.

So what do you think?

First probable opponent: Sisters of Battle.

·
Has a monkey!
1,630 Posts
Chaos Sorcerer (195pts)
*Mark of Tzeentch, Daemonic Steed, Doom Bolt, Warp Time
This guy looks pretty good, though personally I'd drop Doombolt to keep your force weapon open in assault. Look out for hoods.

Chaos Lord (160pts)
*Bike, Daemonic Weapon
Quick and deadly, looks good.

4 x Chaos Terminators (140pts)
*4 x Combi-plasma
Kind of a small squad, but good for rapid firing death when they arrive, assuming you're Deep Striking them. Way too small for a footslogging squad.

5 x Chosen Chaos Space Marines (135pts)
*5 x Flamer, Icon of Chaos Glory
Nice idea, but a few meatshields wouldn't be a bad move.

Looks good.

A tenth member would allow a second special, that's the only advice I have.

Same.

7 x Raptors (210pts)
*Icon of Chaos Glory, 2 x Melta Gun, Aspiring Champion(with Dual Lightning Claws)
Another member to this squad would be good for scoring unit purposes.

3 x Chaos Bikes (129pts)
Fast moving tank hunters, nice.

2 x Obliterators
Always a good choice.

A few general ideas. Personally I don't use more than one HQ in anything but a big game. They suck up points that can be used to score points or take objectives. They're powerful, to be sure, but so are Oblits, but if you max on them then you're going to be lacking in troops.

I like your strategy, sounds like a good gameplan.

Personally not sure about the Chosen, if you're facing power armored armies flamers aren't exactly optimal (though against T3, they shouldn't be bad). I would be tempted to drop them and take more Termies. You're not always going to be able to Infiltrate, but you'll always be able to Deep Strike Termies (their rules allow it). It's my nature to take advantage of these things to their fullest, though.

As I said, even-numbered squads help with scoring- they're that much harder to bring to half strength as the odd numbered squad. Also if you bring those CSM to ten, you can get another special, as I'm sure you know.

Really, the Chosen and maybe the second HQ seem like a hole in this list. If you drop those, you'll have the points for a few more Chaos Marines (you could even bring a few squads above ten, good for footslogging IMHO).

Other than that, looks fairly good. Good luck.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This guy looks pretty good, though personally I'd drop Doombolt to keep your force weapon open in assault. Look out for hoods.
That's a good idea. My thought was to keep him with the raptors anyway. They are for mobile tank busting and close combat. Doom bolt adds nothing to either of those.

Kind of a small squad, but good for rapid firing death when they arrive, assuming you're Deep Striking them. Way too small for a footslogging squad.
The idea was to deep strike them, and deal rapid fire plasma death to anything nearby. If they survive the coming round, I'd try to get them into close combat.

Nice idea, but a few meatshields wouldn't be a bad move.
These were mainly to get another forward, icon bearing squad to guide the terminators deep strike. And the 5 flamers was really just a gimmic. Instead of 5 slightly more expensive CSMs, I'd give them flamers and if my enemy let me close enough, I'd like to see the look on his face as I lay 5 flamer templates on his squad. :D

Another member to this squad would be good for scoring unit purposes.
Agreed. Just have to find the extra points somewhere.

A few general ideas. Personally I don't use more than one HQ in anything but a big game. They suck up points that can be used to score points or take objectives. They're powerful, to be sure, but so are Oblits, but if you max on them then you're going to be lacking in troops.
I'm considering dropping the lord in favor of another raptor and a few marines.

Personally not sure about the Chosen, if you're facing power armored armies flamers aren't exactly optimal (though against T3, they shouldn't be bad). I would be tempted to drop them and take more Termies. You're not always going to be able to Infiltrate, but you'll always be able to Deep Strike Termies (their rules allow it). It's my nature to take advantage of these things to their fullest, though.
True. Also, adding a terminator squad could force the enemy into target priority issues.

As I said, even-numbered squads help with scoring- they're that much harder to bring to half strength as the odd numbered squad. Also if you bring those CSM to ten, you can get another special, as I'm sure you know.
The odd numbers and less than ten is based solely on lack of points. As I mentioned earlier, dropping the lord might help with this.

Thank you very much for your input, it set a few new thoughts in motion. :)

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I've been doing some thinking during the weekend and come up with a few points.
* The Lord on bike didn't really add anything, so he goes.
* The chosen, while quite cool (or hot :D) were mainly intended as a forward teleport focus, and since they sometimes will not be infiltrating, they will find them self far away from anything to kill with short range weapons, so they go too.

When that's said and done, I added another raptor to make them even number, and gave them IoK for that extra CC punch.
I also added another CSM to the 9 man squads and gave them a second melta gun.

=============
HQ (185pts/11%)
=============

Chaos Sorcerer (185pts)
*Mark of Tzeentch, Daemonic Steed, Warp Time

==============
Elites (150pts/9%)
==============

4 x Chaos Terminators (150pts)
*4 x Combi-plasma, Icon of Chaos Glory

===============
Troops (630pts/37%)
===============

10 x Chaos Space Marines (220pts)
*Icon of Chaos Glory, 2 x Melta Gun, Aspiring Champion(with Power-Fist)

10 x Chaos Space Marines (220pts)
*Icon of Chaos Glory, 2 x Melta Gun, Aspiring Champion(with Power-Fist)

==================
Fast Attack (379pts/22%)
==================

8 x Raptors (250pts)
*Icon of Khorne, 2 x Melta Gun, Aspiring Champion(with Dual Lightning Claws)

3 x Chaos Bikes (129pts)

====================
Heavy Support (150pts/9%)
====================

1 x Obliterators

1 x Obliterators

===============
Grand Total: 1494pts
===============

After all is said and done, 206 points remain.
I've formulated a few options for what to do with them:

Option #1: Another squad of 10 x CSM, 2 x Plasma Gun, Icon of Chaos Glory. (16 pts remain, another CSM?)

Option #2: A clone of the bike squad and another obliterator. (2 pts remain).

Option #3: Adding to the terminator squad or adding a second squad, 4 x terminators, 3 x combi weapon (melta or plasma), Icon of Chaos Glory. Add 2 CSM to each squad. (1 pts remain)

Option #4: 6 x Havocs, 3 x Missile Launchers. Add 4 CSM to the other squads. (4 pts over, drop a combi plasma?)

Any thoughts or other suggestions for what to do with the remaining points is welcome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.