Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Pirate Chaos Space Marine
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I started collecting Tyranids around the release of the latest codex, just because I felt the desire to paint some of those really cool warriors.
Then there's the fluff; super-evolved is a word that really appeal to me.

So far, I have only bought a warrior pack, a battle force, a zoanthrope and a broodlord.
Now I'm looking to expand it to a 1700 points hive fleet, since that is the point cost which is most commonly used in my area. I want it to be able to put up a fight against most kinds of armies but I believe I'll mostly be facing eldar, chaos, IG, sisters of battle and other Tyranids.

After reading around this forum a bit this is my first draft. Please comment on how to evolve it to make it better.

=========
HQ (275 pts)
=========

Hive Tyrant (145 pts)
* Wings, Flesh hooks, 2xScything Talons, Psychic Scream

Broodlord (130 pts)
* Retinue of 5 Genestealers with Extended Carpace

==========
Elite (322 pts)
==========

Tyranid Warrior Brood (3, 96 pts)
* Extended Carpace, Flesh Hooks, Toxin Sacs, Scything Talons, Rending Claws

Carnifex (113 pts)
* Enhanced Senses, 2xTwin-Linked Devourers

Carnifex (113 pts)
* Enhanced Senses, 2xTwin-Linked Devourers

============
Troops (520 pts)
============

Genestealer Brood (6, 120 pts)
* Extended Carpace

Genestealer Brood (6, 120 pts)
* Extended Carpace

Gaunt Brood (8, 40 pts)
* Spinefists

Gaunt Brood (8, 40 pts)
* Spinefists

Hormagaunt Brood (10, 100 pts)

Hormagaunt Brood (10, 100 pts)

===============
Fast Attack (120 pts)
===============

Ravener Brood (1, 40 pts)
* Scything Talons, Rending Claws

=================
Heavy Support (463 pts)
=================

Zoanthropes (3, 165 pts)
* Synapse Creature, Psychic Scream

Carnifex (149 pts)
* Enhanced Senses, Flesh Hooks, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon

Carnifex (149 pts)
* Enhanced Senses, Flesh Hooks, Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon

================
Grand Total: 1700 pts
================

Please comment on the setup. I have very little experience playing Tyranids so any help is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think you need more troops. The 2 sqads of stealers looks fine, but 2 squads of 8 gaunts. These will be ignored or shot at with rapid fire from one troop and die off when they get anywhere near. I think you should replace the hormies with spinegaunts. You only have one synapse creature that can keep up with them, and he's gonna die REALLY fast unless you give him warp field, which should save him for another turn. The broodlord would probably draw fire from quite a few units though giving you another turn with your precious HT. But, i think you should change the tyrant to from a CC to Devo Tyrant, they are pretty frikken awesome! I think you should change the warriors to shooty ones, they are inferior to the ravs and genestealers in CC. TL-devos are good and maybe deathspitters with VC. Excellent heavy support though. I love the psychic choir. If my calculations are correct, you only gave psychic scream to 2 of the thropes? You should give it to all three. I think you need more synapse, with only 4 sources, one being a prime target, the other starting really far ahead, ur synapse web is thin.

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I think you need more troops.
I couldn't agree more! :) The only problem is I can't decide to bring down the knife to free up the points for more gaunts.

The 2 sqads of stealers looks fine, but 2 squads of 8 gaunts. These will be ignored or shot at with rapid fire from one troop and die off when they get anywhere near.
They will most likely be, but then again, I'm quite fine with that. Noone could expect spinegaunts to do much damage anyway. Running them in front of Hormagaunts and Genestealers and hoping a unit or two blows their ld-test is what I hope for.

You only have one synapse creature that can keep up with them, and he's gonna die REALLY fast unless you give him warp field, which should save him for another turn.
True, but the CC warriors should be no less than a turn behind. Should they flee after the charge turn, they'd be running towards the warriors and then setup for a new charge the turn after that.
Maybe I have something wrong but that's how I see it playing out in my head. :)

But, i think you should change the tyrant to from a CC to Devo Tyrant, they are pretty frikken awesome!
So I've read many times in this forum, and if I go for a second tyrant in the future, I'd go for a Devourer Tyrant. As it is now, I simply think he'll last longer in CC where LasCannons and Plasma has nothing on him. Also, I'm a little conscerned about tankbusting where I think he'd be a nice addition.

I think you should change the warriors to shooty ones, they are inferior to the ravs and genestealers in CC. TL-devos are good and maybe deathspitters with VC.
I can see myself doing this. As a matter of fact I already have a brood of 3 with 2 Deathspitters and a Venom Cannon. I'll be looking into exchanging the Scything Talons to Rending Claws though. I could even consider dropping one Dakkafex for a second DS+VC brood or perhaps a Devourer warrior brood in order to provide another Synapse source.

Excellent heavy support though. I love the psychic choir. If my calculations are correct, you only gave psychic scream to 2 of the thropes? You should give it to all three.
You are absolutely correct. I miscalculated the base cost by 10 pts.

I think you need more synapse, with only 4 sources, one being a prime target, the other starting really far ahead, ur synapse web is thin.
I'm thinking about spreading the Zoanthropes out along the line, thus pushing that figure up to 6. With a second warrior brood pushing it up to 7. Is there something inherently wrong with my reasoning or could that work?

Thank you very much for the input! :)

·
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know I'm bumping my thread, but I'm hoping someone will have mercy on it give me a few pointers. :)

I would really like to add some more troops, but I can't see where to make the cut. Sure, my elite and heavy section is expensive, but I tried to make everything as cheap as possible. Is there any place I can cut down on the price without needing to drop a choice on the FOC all together?

On a side note, I just realized I was wrong in my last post about the CC warriors being able to keep up with the hormagaunts. I was under the illusion that the had fleet...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.