Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I came up with a list based on just gold ol' Abaddon and his black legion. Straight up gunline, with lots of heavy weapons. I already have about 3/4 of the models for this army, it would only require a couple boxes of CSM, termi box and vindi.

What do you think?

HQ: Abaddon

Elite:
x3 terminator, x1 LC, x1 RAC, x1 PF (these guys join Abaddon)

x6 Chosen, x1 lascannon, x4 plasmagun, Icon of Glory

Troop:
x9 CSM, x1 flamer, x1 meltagun, Icon of Glory, x1 champion w/ powerfist, rhino w/ extra armor

x9 CSM, x1 plasmagun, x1 missle launcher, x1 champion w/ powerweapon

x9 CSM, x1 plasmagun, x1 heavy bolter, x1 champion w/ powerweapon

Heavy:
Defiler, RAC, havoc launcher

Vindicator, demonic possetion

x2 oblits

**Edited based on feedback

NOTE: For pretty much the same points I can swap the chosen unit out for a unit of 10 CSM with lascannon, plasmagun and champion with power weapon. Is that a better choice do you think? I have not used the chosen yet from the new dex. I just liked the idea of chosen, and infiltrating with all those weapons.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Well first off you need to have sqauds of 10 or more to be able to take 2 heavy/special weapons. Secondly, I think you would be much better served if you dropped all the heavy weapons you have and replacing them with additional melta guns and maybe add some rhinos to the squads. While heavy weapons are nice they really take a lot of the mobility out of your force, being if you move you can't shoot and if you want to shoot you can't move. You could also add some icons to the squads for deep striking stuff. Overall it is a decent list, but like I previously stated I just feel it lacks mobility.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Defiler, TLLC, havoc launcher
The havok launcher is for anti-infantry, but the TLLC hunt vehicles. I feel like both are unnecessary, as you will want to fire the battlecannon whenever you get the chance (otherwise you might as well take a predator.)

Vindicator
Use the points you saved on the above to take possession on the vindicator...it will help a lot, with none of the usual negatives.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The CSM squads are 10 man strong, maybe how it lade it out it's not clear. They are 9 normal CSM, plus the champion for 10 total.

I don't mind the lack of mobility in this list honestly, that's not the feel I'm going for. I have the one assault squad in a rhino to run up and get tangled with something I really don't want shooting at me, or running over and assaulting me. The great thing about chaos now is, once any armor has been dealt with by the heavy weapons, the units can start moving up, and even assault with all those extra attacks for pistols plus CCW. :) It's great. I've seen plenty of Imperial SM lists just sit back with 8-10 man units toting heavy weapons. They sit back far out of range of bolters, firing their heavy weapons. So I know the tactic works.

I do miss the concept the icons if for nothing else to safely bring down my oblits. Since I want to keep Abaddon safe and attached to the other terminators, it's not in my best interest to hold them back in reserves.

How about this. The defiler is a model I already have from long ago, with the hacov on the side. But the TLLC can just be the RAC as easily. Do you think I have enough other heavy weapons to not upgrade to the TLLC, keeping it a RAC, and then use the points for an icon on the chosen? I say them because with infiltrate it could be a good position to drop in the oblits, and with only 6 of them, they will be rolling pretty soon, and a reroll is handy.

I've always liked possetion, and I see your point, with ordenance weapons who cares about BS2. Maybe I'll see what I can do for that.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK based on the feedback, I played around a bit and came up with 2 icons, a RAC instead of TLLC on defiler, adding D. possetion to the vindi, and droping the PP on the assault champion.
The above list was edited to show these changes. I agree, the added icons give me some flexability and safety for deepstriking. And the possetion really does sound nice on that vindi once I remembered it's range is only 24" for the cannon and is going to be a target. The champion with powerfist and PP is an old original army model, but I should be able to pop off the pistol and put on a bolt pistol, or just make another champion model. No biggie with all the chaos bits I have. ;)

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
I'm curious to hear how Abbadon and his squad have been doing. Probably takes lots of fire.

Let's see, generally people go with 2 extra close combat weapons on the Defiler and either shoot the battle-cannon or fleet to get into close combat quicker. This is what H3ytony was talking about, I believe. But this is simply the most popular tactic, not necessarily the best and if you like the RAC (I love them, but not on defilers), then go for it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed, with the new dex, I think the two extra close combat arms are the way to go on a defiler. You can get into combat fast with fleet, and either tear through an infantry or even eat up armor. My future chaos armies are going that route.

But alas this army is using old existing models, that I have no plan or desire to covert.

·
Registered
124 Posts
5 attacks with the defiler is good but why not have 4 and use your flamer? I know u don't get fleet then but i find one more turn shooting the battlecannon more than makes up for it

·
Registered
144 Posts
The only real problem i have with the list is the mixing of weapons in your squads. At any one time on of the weapons arent going to be firing our arent being efficent. Such as the plasma missle combo, for most of the time the missle is going to be firing while the plasma just sits there out of range or if you move then the missle i scrap but the plasma is good or when they get close you lose out on the main advantage of the missle launchers range etc.

·
Topic Creator Deluxe
2,146 Posts
Doesnt the army need to be at least 2000 pts to be able to include Abaddon?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.