Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The more I think about this list the more I want to go buy some new models and make it happen so please let me know what you all think!

Demon Prince- MoS, Wings, Lash

Dread- ccw/ccw, tlbolter/heavy flamer

Defiler- ccw/ccw
Defiler- ccw/ccw
Defiler- ccw/ccw

Greater Demon

x6 Bikers- MoN, x2 meltagun, Champion with powerfist

x6 Chaos Marines- meltagun, Champion with meltabombs

The bikers will buy time and try to neutralize key threats while the lash princes get enemy units into cc asap. The defilers can fleet or blast as needed and the marines will be on opposite board sides to give more options for the greater demons entrance. I like the many scary targets that the enemy has to deal with and the surprising tactical flexibility of this list. Please give any tips on tactics or changes that would make this strategy and list more successful.

·
Registered
277 Posts
wow! when I didn't think that a zilla list was possible, but thats actually a pretty good one. I don't have much Tactical advise for it, as I am new to chaos, but it does seem like fun. It would be especially cool if you were able to heavily convert the dreads and defilers from the same base, so that they looked like 2 different version of the same thing (like a predator and a vindicator).

My only problem is that relying on 12 marines to last long enough for your greater daemon is a bit risky. any half awake will realise whats up and get rid of them easily. running the NBikers straight at them (turbo-speed!) will be a good distraction tho.

all in all, I wouldn't mind stealing that idea, it looks like fun (to hobby and game with)

Edit - Oh, and you know people will be yelling "cheese" at it don't you? I will assume so, so lets move on from that... :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I am thinking of how to customize all the units to give them each a unique and distict feel as the configurations are all the same. Actually there are 18 marines for the enemy to kill and 6 of those have toughness6 and great mobility so while it is possible for the enemy to kill all my troops pre greater demon I think its unlikely as my troops really shouldnt be a primary target. If they are that set on keeping the greater demon away something else should be rampaging freely. I would have to be careful against very maneuverable units like mech eldar that can isolate elements of my force though. As far as I can see mech eldar and the like will be the hardest fights not to sure and what I could do about them besides really place my bikers well to threaten them and push them out of position. Any thoughts on strategy or list refinements out there?

·
Registered
125 Posts
No thoughts as of yet, but it does look like fun. Will consider it and see if i can come up with anything useful.

Have you considered a lascannon or 2 on the dreads for some anti tank ??. Gun fexes if you will :D.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was about to say, your in a bit of trouble against gunline armies like tau guard too. Sure you'll get there eventually with lash, but Railheads and Russes would be very happy to sit on the board edge as you run at them for 5 turns. there is a bit of a risk turning a dread into antitank, because if it frenzies it will be bad for your vehicle heavy army, (it's a pity chaos dreads can't get drop pods so easy)

So defiler weapons may be the go, but relying on battlecannon is rough, it depends on wether you want to try some reapers...

(it's a pity chaos dreads can't get drop pods so easy)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya I agree tau could be rough as well with thier mobility and firepower I guess I would be relying on lash princes and the bikes to get me the break I need. I am likely to lose alot of my force before I reach them but when I do it can go bad really fast for them with lashes screwing with thier troop placement allowing consolidations and such. I think I am more worried about eldar because they are even more manueverable and not as squishy. I agree that dreads without droppods is lame I think they kinda missed it on dreads in the codex they are hard to justify over termies and I honestly wouldnt use them without a very specific list. Any tips out there on ways to maximize dread effectiveness?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
After reading posts on this army on a few different sites I am having secon thoughts on a few things. The base of this army is the bikers and the lash princes opening up cc for my army. I am not sure that the marines and the dreads are the best options for this list. The question is what can wreck shop in cc and scare the enemy from focusing just on my princes and defilers? Would termies be better than dreads? Would dropping a dread and adding rhinos be more effective? Has anyone had success with at weapons on thier dreads and can you still pop smoke when you roll a fire frenzy? Would stripping down my units to make some beserker squads instead of regular marines be worthwhile? Please comment on how to maximize the effectiveness of the bikers, princes and defilers.

·
Big fish in a little pond
234 Posts
The more I think about this list the more I want to go buy some new models and make it happen so please let me know what you all think!

Defiler- ccw/ccw
Defiler- ccw/ccw
Defiler- ccw/ccw

Greater Demon

x6 Bikers- MoN, x2 meltagun, Champion with powerfist

The bikers will buy time and try to neutralize key threats while the lash princes get enemy units into cc asap. The defilers can fleet or blast as needed and the marines will be on opposite board sides to give more options for the greater demons entrance. I like the many scary targets that the enemy has to deal with and the surprising tactical flexibility of this list. Please give any tips on tactics or changes that would make this strategy and list more successful.
Here was my take on the idea... from a little while back.... http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/chaos-army-lists/103874-new-dex-slurgle-zilla-1500pts.html

·
Murder
3,492 Posts
After reading posts on this army on a few different sites I am having secon thoughts on a few things. The base of this army is the bikers and the lash princes opening up cc for my army. I am not sure that the marines and the dreads are the best options for this list. The question is what can wreck shop in cc and scare the enemy from focusing just on my princes and defilers? Would termies be better than dreads? Would dropping a dread and adding rhinos be more effective? Has anyone had success with at weapons on thier dreads and can you still pop smoke when you roll a fire frenzy? Would stripping down my units to make some beserker squads instead of regular marines be worthwhile? Please comment on how to maximize the effectiveness of the bikers, princes and defilers.
Depending on what you what to do WITH the defilers, since they have the extra CCW its wonder if its worth moving them up anywhere near combat or is it more for self defence?
I was going to say if you were giving him lascannons or something there is no point since he can't fire both the same turn, but I don't know. I just think 3 defilers pounding from a range would be devastating if your enemy isn't spread out to the extreme.

With so much armor you'd have to watch for bad anti tanks, I tend to take a lot of anti tank because I just hate dreadnaughts and land raiders.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.