Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone, been reading a lot of these lists online and decided to come up with my own rendition (with a lot of ideas of others pooled together). I currently play 1750 point games against all sorts of colorful armies. The goal with my list is to be as competitive as possible.without losing the SW feel. Here's the list :

1750 Competitive (rough list)

HQ (235)

Rune Priest, Chooser, Jaws, Lightning - 110

Rune Priest w/Term, Combi, Lightning, Storm Caller - 125

Elite (578)

Dreadnought w/Melta, H.Flamer - 150
Drop Pod

Drop Pod

6 (4) Wolf Guard w/Term, 2 Combi, Chain Fist, Frost Axe 278
Drop Pod
(1) Wolf Guard w/ Power Fist

Troops (555)

8 Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Mark Of Wolfen - 175
Rhino

9 Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Mark Of Wolfen - 190
Rhino

Rhino

Heavy 190

6 Long Fangs w/ 4 ML, 1 LC - 190
Rhino

Rhino

Rune Priest w/ Chooser rides with the 8-man GH
Rune Priest w/ Term ,pods in with the rest of his terminator brothers
1 Wolf Guard in the other 2, 9-man GH

Any tips, suggestions, comments - please post them. I need a definitive list which I won't have to keep tweaking every day :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Solid list. Other guys are going to tell you that the Dreads aren't optimal, and they're probably right, but drop dreads are effing cool.

I would consider switching the frost axe in the WG squad to a Wolf Claw or dropping it altogether in order to give your WGL in the GH a combimelta, as well as your second RP a Chooser. You can also drop the Las in your LF packs to a ML, if you're not going to run 3x ML/2x LC, 5xML is a bit more efficient.

IMHO the best all around GH Rhino Packs look like so:

9x GH, meltagun, MotW, Rhino, lead by: Wolf Guard, Powerfist, Combimelta. In all honesty your GH will probably only be firing at one tank a game anyway, so paying for the second one time shot is generally worth it to improve your odds of popping it. The 3A powerfist makes you dangerous to everything on the table.

Other than that, you'll do fine. It's not a super maximum min-maxed list, but it should have a solid go at just about everything you play.

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Here's my take on it.

Hello everyone, been reading a lot of these lists online and decided to come up with my own rendition (with a lot of ideas of others pooled together). I currently play 1750 point games against all sorts of colorful armies. The goal with my list is to be as competitive as possible.without losing the SW feel. Here's the list :

1750 Competitive (rough list)

HQ (235)

Rune Priest w/Term, Combi, Lightning, Storm Caller - 125
Get a chooser on your second RP. Essentially upgrading him to BS 5 is well worth it when you use Living Lightning.

Elite (578)

Drop Pod

Drop Pod

6 (4) Wolf Guard w/Term, 2 Combi, Chain Fist, Frost Axe 278
Drop Pod
As Bathurst mentioned, dreadpods aren't really optimal. They don't have a great chance at killing an enemy tank and they generally die or get trapped for the rest of the game by a throwaway squad. At best they make their points back (by smiting something like a Russ) but generally they aren't that great.

As for the Wolf Guard terminators, the frost axe isn't worth it. A wolf claw is better than a frost axe against any opponent that isn't T6 or T8, and its 5pts cheaper too.

Also, I know that you're dropping your RP with your wolf guard, but there might be better ways to go about it. Podding your RP doesn't really give you anything more than maybe an extra 6" move as with storm caller you want to be close to your own guys and with LL you have infinite range anyways. You could cut back some points and give one of your wolf guard an assault cannon or a cyclone missile launcher and have them footslog while you fire away with LL, the big gun, and your storm bolters.

Troops (555)

8 Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Mark Of Wolfen - 175
Rhino

Rhino

Rhino
I have no problem with these units. Its pretty much how I would make them.

Just something to note: Its spelt Wulfen.

Heavy 190

Rhino

Rhino
No problems here other than I don't see why you have the rhinos. If you have the long fangs in the rhinos then you might as well only have two and the pack leader because you can only fire two. If you have them out and all shooting then there is no reason for the rhinos. I would cut them for extra points.

As for the setups of 4ML and 1LC I have no problems with that. I've tried that setup before and its not that bad, though an extra LC per unit might help with your consistency against tanks.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey folks, thanks for all of the great advice. Here is what i've come up with since the tips / tricks :

HQ (240)

Rune Priest w/Term, Chooser, Lightning, Storm Caller - 130

Elite (611)

Drop Pod

Drop Pod

6 (4) Wolf Guard w/Term, 2 Combi, Chain Fist, Wolf Claw - 311
Drop Pod

Troops (555)

8 Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Mark Of Wulfen - 175
Rhino

9 Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Mark Of Wulfen - 190
Rhino

9 Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Mark Of Wulfen - 190
Rhino

Heavy (340)

6 Long Fangs w/ 3 ML, 2 LC - 170

6 Long Fangs w/ 3 ML, 2 LC - 170

**Removed Combi-weapon from the terminator RP
**Removed Frost Axe from WG
**Removed Rhinos From Long Fangs
**Removed 1 ML from each Long Fang squad

***Added Chooser to BOTH RP's
***Added Wolf Claw to WG
***Added 1 extra WG w/ Power Fist for the 8 man GH
***Added 1 Las Cannon per Long Fang squad

I really liked the idea of adding combi's to the WG in the GH squads, but I think a WG for the 8 man GH squad could be a better investment.

Phalanx, I also have the WG in a drop pod to ensure 2 of the pods come on turn one, but I definately see where you're coming from with the slogging terminators.

How does the list look now?

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Looks good to me.

I forgot about drop pod assault. It makes sense why you would want three of them then even if it is usually better to footslog your priest (though I guess you could keep him in reserve to come in later, but I've seen people screwed over by bad reserve rolls before).

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, last night I had a chance to play test the last list that we came up with against my SM friend. This is what I took from the battle:

1: Long Fangs are one of the best units, no question.
2: MoTW is worth every point you spend on it

3: Dreads prove to be a great distraction, and awesome for putting pressure on the enemies AT right off the get-go, but I lost both of my dreads by the end of my opponents second turn. Although, the distraction that they provided, helped me get other important things done (scoring troops to objectives, long fangs to pick off easy targets, etc)

So, I'm now ready to stop being stubborn about my dreads; and, ask you folks WHERE would you spend those 300 pts that the dreads chew up?

I was thinking maybe a few Land speeders or a land speeder and a land raider for the terminators.

I honestly don't know, and I feel 1 game might be too soon to judge the dreads, but I felt like I had possibly wasted 300 pts on a 2 turn distraction.

Would love to hear what you guys think to take this to a "Optimal Competitive" list, with those 300pts.

Thanks -=)

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Here are several options:

1)

6 Long Fangs w/ 2 ML, 2 LC - 145

1 Land Speeders w/ MM/HF - 70

285pts

or

2)

7 Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Mark Of Wulfen - 160
Rhino

300pts

or

3)

5x Grey Hunters w/Flamer - 150
Razorback - TL-LC

5x Grey Hunters w/Flamer - 150
Razorback - TL-LC

or

4)

RP - 100

1 Wolf Guard w/ Power Fist - 38

7 Grey Hunters w/ Melta, Mark Of Wulfen - 160
Rhino

298 pts

Reactions: eclipseone6

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
The whelp learns that his more lunatic bretheren are to be respected more ^^ and that the long fangs are not old, frail and afraid because they have seen too many horrors. infact they just like to sit back, blow stuff up and have a spectacular view of it.

thanks
antique_nova

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
My favorite is MM+HF. Very versatile. Can destroy land raiders or lots of orks. If the opponent has lots of ranged AT, keep them in reserves. Use them to contest objectives in objectives-base scenarios. I've won a couple of games that way.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
doulbe emlta teams and doulbe flamer teams. but usually go for double heavy flamers. leave your anti-tank to other units.
thanks
antique_nova

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.