(Kantor joins this unit)

2 Attack Bikes
multimeltas

Heavy Support

Thunder Fire Cannon
Drop Pod

Predator
Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Tactics wise the two scouts squads camp on objectives and the two dreadnoughts drop down turn one to threaten tanks and pressure the opponent into ignoring the two rhinos with the assault and tactical squads. I use the dreads and attack bikes to pop armour while the thunderfire can decimate troops once they are out of the vehicles.

The librarian with the sternguard warpgate around within 12" of the drop pods, as not to scatter, and lay down fire support. This army has 4 scoring units (5 if i choose to combat squad the tactical squad).

I know a lot of people are not fans of the assault squads in rhinos, but with kantors inspirational aura granting all units within 12" +1 attack these guys have a healthy 3 attacks a piece (4 on the charge).

·
Registered
316 Posts
In an objectives game, those scout squads will be easily cleared off any objective. My 5 man squads, even in cover, always die very quickly once they start getting shot at. Usually my sniper rifles don't do enough damage to warrant much attention, but once they do they're dead. I wouldn't rely on them holding objectives. In annihilation they're easy KPs. Thats just my experience with them though. I've since started placing them far away from anything with a good LoS.

Dreadnoughts and Sternguard are looking very killy. The attack bikes you'll have to be careful with, don't let them be caught out in the open. Try and anticipate how your opponent will attack them the turn after you move them and avoid this (unless you want to suicide a Land Raider or something). Though multiple woulds and a higher T will help keep them alive, with only two models, they will succumb to massed fire.

Predators and Thunderfire Cannons I've heard mixed reports about, so I'll leave that alone.

HTH.

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
I like alot of this but there's some that you can drop.

Assault Marines, don't need them. This is a shooting army decidedly so keep ti that way.

TF Cannon, not really that strong. If people let it shoot it will be but it's so easy to pop why let it shoot? I'd drop it.

Predator, not a fan. Can't advance although it is cheap. I;d drop it personally but it's not a BAD choice.

Split your Attack Bikes into 1 unit each. They die to easily together.

Don't need the Locator Beacons, Drop Pods are very reliable.

Grab more Meltas in the Sternguard, at least 6.

Buy another Tactical Squad with the points saved on the Assault Squad. They'd be good with Meltas and the ML is fine.

Consider the Sternguard in a Pod as well. You can put both ICs with them and teleport around or separate Pedro and do something. It'd also give you 2 Pods turn 1 which is a big plus.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
yeh dont forget - you have 3 drop pods - meaning the one with the thunderfire cannon may not come till much later on. Thats if you send the two dreads first turn.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

First off Rafici i am aware that i will only get the two with the dreads first turn and the third at an unknown time, thats why it was empty.

Prince of Excess...
-I am unsure if i agree with you on not needing an assault unit, Pedro grants +1 A to the unit giving them 4 attacks on the charge , 3 if not....that is basically Ork Boyz attacks at a high I. I guess swapping them for another Tac squad still gives them 2 attacks a piece 3 on the charge with more firepower....

-I've had reasonable luck with the Thuderfire , and have found if you have two dreads dropping on the enemies lines turn one it takes a few turns before they can really focus on the thunderfire, but i am not overly attached to it

-Pedator is simply something i had all ready and had 80 points to spend at the end lol ... again something i'm not stuck on.

-Splitting the Attack bikes is a good idea and as long as i still have 2 fast attack slots once the tweaks are done i will.

-I disagree STRONGLY on not needing the locator beacons ...they aren't there for the drop pods they are there for the warpgating librarian and sternguard squad

Thanks for all the feed back...the wheels are turning .... let's see where is my marine book.......

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
But you have assigned the drop pod to the thunderfire cannon - meaning that will be in it - aka you say about that firing but that may not turn up till turn 4 or even 5.

If you can assign a drop pod to a unit and then have them not use it please tell me what page its says this as i know you can do that with rhinos and RB's but not with drop pods

i have had pedro in a termi squad - normal one - had good fire power and gave them an extra attack - worked really well

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually it only states that a dedicated transport may only have it's assigned unit in it at the start of the game, it doesn't state that unit needs to be in it. It is a little cheesy but it is a common thing to pay 35 points for the Thunderfire droppod but set the Thunderfire up at the beginning of the game. Yes this also works with rhinos and other transports. Orks use this tactic often to get transports for units that aren't normally with access to them. The only rule is that you would have to embark onto the transport in turn one. But you can take a tactical squad with a rhino and start the game with them outside of it ...and as such drop pods work the same way.

Hope that helps clear up the confusion.

·
650 Posts
But you have assigned the drop pod to the thunderfire cannon - meaning that will be in it - aka you say about that firing but that may not turn up till turn 4 or even 5.

If you can assign a drop pod to a unit and then have them not use it please tell me what page its says this as i know you can do that with rhinos and RB's but not with drop pods

i have had pedro in a termi squad - normal one - had good fire power and gave them an extra attack - worked really well
p67 dedicated transport sidebar/blocked text. It can deploy carrying the unit is was selected with plus any ICs. Not must. Afterwards it can carry any eligible unit.

A side note on the 3 drop-pod deal. The tactical advantage needs to be worth the 1 KP an extra drop pod automatically gives up the turn it comes in for being an immobilized vehicle.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oooo dirty lol, i didn't even think that they give up a KP for being an immobilized vehicle, i always figured my opponent would have to kill them....

·
3,560 Posts
Unless I'm missing a rule somewhere you have to kill the Pod to claim the KP, don't know where it says otherwise.

·
1,206 Posts
Actually it only states that a dedicated transport may only have it's assigned unit in it at the start of the game, it doesn't state that unit needs to be in it. It is a little cheesy but it is a common thing to pay 35 points for the Thunderfire droppod but set the Thunderfire up at the beginning of the game.
oh, thats rather beardy ;)

·
3,560 Posts
I doubt it's common practice as TF Cannons are a very uncommon unit, being not that great. Not very beardy though, doesn't give an unfair advantage or rule abuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.