Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I might get the chance to go to my first 40k Tournament, so I've started to think about possible lists I want to playtest. I'd like to have a decent list without totally cheesing it out and disregarding all my fluff. I really haven't played all that much with my marines, and never over 1500 points so this is something new for me. Any help would be appreciated.

Tactics: Basic idea is for Scouts, Termies, Pred and a Tac Squad too protect objectives on my side of the board and provide fire support. The assault wave of Hammernators, LRC, Dread, and the other Tac squad charge across the board to capture and contest enemy objectives. Should be easy as pie. :)

Cheers

HQ:
Captain 130
-Relic Blade

Chaplain 130
-Terminator Armour

Troops:
10x Tactical Squad 230
-with powerfist, missile launcher and flamer, Rhino

10x Tactical Squad 235
-with, Powerfist, missile launcher, meltagun, Rhino

5x Scout Snipers 135
-with Telion, and Missile Launcher

Elites:
5x Terminators 230
-with Cyclone Missile Launcher

5x Assault Terminators 200
-TH + SS

Dreadnought 105
-with multi melta

Heavy Support:
Predator 95
-heavy bolter sponsons.

Land Raider Crusader 260
-Multi Melta

Total 1750

Thank you!

·
Registered
447 Posts
That's a solid list. Fast with lots of firepower. The only possible problem you may have is the Dreadnaught might miss a lot of action through footslogging. I can't see where points could come from to get a Drop Pod, though.

As it is, I think you'll do fine with this army.

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
I like everything for the most part except the LR+Termie+Chaplain Combo. That's so many points tied up in one unit. I'd drop it all, you can do so much more with it.

The Captain needs a Bike, hide him behind Rhinos as you advance and than surprise charge a unit to tie it up. Slap a SS on there as well.

Both Tactical Squads need Meltas, otherwise good.

Dreads loooooove Drop Pods. Turn 1 Walker in someones face with a MM? Yes sir. Get a HF and possibly Extra Armor if you do that. If he walks, I'd drop him or switch to a longer range gun.

You don't need Telion in the Scout unit really, keep them cheap and expendable. Free up every point possible.

With all that freed up, you can grab a 3rd Tactical, some Speeders or another Drop Dread, etc. Anything fast would be good, you want a rushing army with the Scout held back the Termies going where you need.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok how about dropping the Chappie and Telion and getting a Command squad with a Razorback for the Captain to ride with? I'd like sternguard but I have ran out of Elite slots, and don't really want to change them. So can the command squad be effective, I would probably go with Pistols and Chainswords to act as another assault element.

·
3,560 Posts
Command Squads are among the top 5 units SM can take, I've broken it down many times for many people, please don't make me do it again, just take my word for it. Never, under any circumstances, in any points, in any mission, on any table, take a Command Squad.

Captains are best on Bikes or in Raiders. Raiders are to expensive FOR MY TASTE, not a fact. Meltas are really popular, as are Lances, Demolisher Cannons etc. The vehicle table is forgiving but even an Immobilized will ruin your day. It's just to big a risk for me to advise or approve of.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok so I have made some changes, and will not make you repeat your reasons for no Command Squads.

So I've buffed a few things, added a Land Speeder and a Librarian who will either gate with the regular Termies or provide Null Zone where needed. I've never used one of these before though, so I could be way off on its best uses.

Cheers

HQ:

Librarian 190
-with Epistolary, Null Zone and Gate of Infinity, Terminator Armour, Storm Shield

Troops:
10x Tactical Squad 240
-with powerfist, Plasma Cannon and meltagun, Rhino

10x Tactical Squad 235
-with, Powerfist, missile launcher, meltagun, Rhino

5x Scout Snipers 100
-with Camo Cloaks, and Missile Launcher

Elites:
5x Terminators 230
-with Cyclone Missile Launcher

5x Assault Terminators 200
-TH + SS

Dreadnought 105
-with multi melta

Fast Attack:

Land Speeder 80
-2x Multi Meltas

Heavy Support:
Predator 95
-heavy bolter sponsons.

Land Raider Crusader 275
-Multi Melta, Extra Armour

Total 1750

·
3,560 Posts
Seems solid. I'd switch the Plasma Cannon to an ML so save points. If you stripped the Extra Armor maybe you can come close to affording a Drop Pod for your Dread? 1-2 LCs on the Assault Termies is fine and quite good against infantry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts