Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am going to be playing in a tournament this coming Saturday. The last time I played in a tournament at this store I was told to bring the meanest list I could. In response I took a mech super council and spent most of the day feeling like a bully ( won 2 games very easily and won the other after a few close moments ). So I am thinking of bringing a very different list this time. It is based on Fuegan and the best representation I can come up with for a full firedragon shrine going to war. I have played the general list several times proxied but never at this point level ( 1500 and 2000 are the points I've used it at before ). But I finally picked up my third firedragon squad so thought I would go for it. So here is Feugan and the Melting flame shrine.

HQ

Fuegan 2**

Elite

10 Firedragons 177
Exarch with dragons breath flamer and crackshot
Waveserpent 110
TL shuriken cannon, spirit stones

10 Firedragons 177
Waveserpent 110

10 Firedragons 177
Waveserpent 110

Troops

10 storm guardians 127
2 flamers, warlock with destructor
Waveserpent 110

10 storm guardians 127
Waveserpent 110

10 storm guardians 127
Waveserpent 110

Total 1777

The storm guardians act as firedragons in training and I think of the warlocks as the trainers for the squads. As for how the list works the dragons hit hard targets ( Tanks, MCs, Nob units, high save ). The storm guardians hit the softer targets and score. I give the firedragon exarchs the DBF because it gives me more options when faced with a horde army, and it is rare that the 9 normal dragons will not destroy the unit I target if it is a Hard target.

Fuegan I know is not the most competitive choice I could quickly change him for a couple of doomseers, or a doomseer and autarch ( I really have come to love the reserve bonus they give ) and be more powerful but the list doesn't seem right without Fuegan in it. He has rarely made back his points for me when using him ( I often use him to try and counter the enemies counter attack ) but he has almost every game been involved in the turning moment of a game, often turning it for me. So perhaps he is pulling his weight in ways other than kills.

Lastly I am currently over by 27 points. I would also really like to get an autarch ( trying to stay away from farseers as they just don't seem right for the list ), probably with a fusion gun mandiblasters and a powerweapon. To find points I have thought about slimming one of the dragon squads to a 6man no exarch tank hunting unit. I have also thought of removing the warlocks. Or removing one of the storm squads transports and hold them in reserve in hopes of using them for a counter attack, objective holding unit.

Anyway Please comment and give possible improvements if you would. Try to keep them in theme if possible but I will think seriously about any changes suggested.

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
For a moment there I didn't realize you were blocking out Fuegan's points and thought you were fielding two of him. I was a tad confused.

With the sheer amount of templaty death you have in your three storm guardian squads, I really wouldn't worry about having the dragon breath flamers on your exarchs. That or drop crack shot, since unless I'm crazy, the exarch w/ flamer is not going to even remotely benefit from the use of crack shot, flamers already ignore cover.

Dropping one exarch entirely to just put Fuegan in the squad instead seems like it would be more efficient if you ask me.

Other than all that it looks like a pretty awesome list. Best of luck with it!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hello,

I am going to be playing in a tournament this coming Saturday. The last time I played in a tournament at this store I was told to bring the meanest list I could. In response I took a mech super council and spent most of the day feeling like a bullyIf you dont feel like a bully when you are fielding a bike seer council and mechdar than you are playing a really really good player/army. ( won 2 games very easily and won the other after a few close moments ). So I am thinking of bringing a very different list this time. It is based on Fuegan and the best representation I can come up with for a full firedragon shrine going to war. I have played the general list several times proxied but never at this point level ( 1500 and 2000 are the points I've used it at before ). But I finally picked up my third firedragon squad so thought I would go for it. So here is Feugan and the Melting flame shrine.

HQ

Fuegan 2**

Elite

10 Firedragons 177
Waveserpent 110

10 Firedragons 177
Waveserpent 110

10 Firedragons 177
Waveserpent 110

Troops

10 storm guardians 127
Waveserpent 110

10 storm guardians 127
Waveserpent 110

10 storm guardians 127
Waveserpent 110

Total 1777

The storm guardians act as firedragons in training and I think of the warlocks as the trainers for the squads. As for how the list works the dragons hit hard targets ( Tanks, MCs, Nob units, high save ). The storm guardians hit the softer targets and score. I give the firedragon exarchs the DBF because it gives me more options when faced with a horde army, and it is rare that the 9 normal dragons will not destroy the unit I target if it is a Hard target.

Fuegan I know is not the most competitive choice I could quickly change him for a couple of doomseers, or a doomseer and autarch ( I really have come to love the reserve bonus they give ) and be more powerful but the list doesn't seem right without Fuegan in it. He has rarely made back his points for me when using him ( I often use him to try and counter the enemies counter attack ) but he has almost every game been involved in the turning moment of a game, often turning it for me. So perhaps he is pulling his weight in ways other than kills.

Lastly I am currently over by 27 points. I would also really like to get an autarch ( trying to stay away from farseers as they just don't seem right for the list ), probably with a fusion gun mandiblasters and a powerweapon. To find points I have thought about slimming one of the dragon squads to a 6man no exarch tank hunting unit.This is exactly what I was thinking. I have also thought of removing the warlocks.I do not suggest that. For 1 it gives you an additional heavy flamer template. sweet. and for 2 is gives the squad the ability to take down a vehicle. something the squad cannot do without him. Or removing one of the storm squads transports Just say no to foot guardians. and hold them in reserve in hopes of using them for a counter attack, objective holding unit.

Anyway Please comment and give possible improvements if you would. Try to keep them in theme if possible but I will think seriously about any changes suggested.
slim down a squad to a 5man no exarch tank smashing squad. if worse comes to worse, drop destructors for emboldens...

For a moment there I didn't realize you were blocking out Fuegan's points and thought you were fielding two of him. I was a tad confused.

With the sheer amount of templaty death you have in your three storm guardian squads, I really wouldn't worry about having the dragon breath flamers on your exarchs. That or drop crack shot, since unless I'm crazy, the exarch w/ flamer is not going to even remotely benefit from the use of crack shot, flamers already ignore cover. That is true, but it also allows reroll failed to wounds.

Dropping one exarch entirely to just put Fuegan in the squad instead seems like it would be more efficient if you ask me.

Other than all that it looks like a pretty awesome list. Best of luck with it!

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Ya know, quoting an entire post to respond to one or two sentences is really not space efficient.

I wasn't sure on all the other rules for crack shot, I suppose re-rolls would be rather nice on a heavy flamer. Though of the things in that army that could be dropped and not missed terribly, Crack shot is rather high on the list.

·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I just got back from playing a possible revised list against some orcs and it played alright. The revised list dropped 1 firedragon squad to 6 then dropped the warlock from 1 unit and the spiritstones from 1 waveserpent. This gave me the points for an autarch with fussion gun, mandiblasters, and chainsword. I put the autarch and Feugan in the now 10 man guardian unit. Only real downer was terrible rolls when shooting at a nob biker unit. 24 fussion guns at bs 4 only instant deathed 2 models ( average if my math is correct is closer to 7 ). Feugan got a deff kopter and wazdakka ( the bike special charcter ). Then died trying to hold/finish the nob bikers.

I was not impressed with my autarch but the main reason I want to get him is for reserve rolls, which didn't come into play against the orc list as I started the whole army on the table.

The idea of dropping the Exarchs is interesting. I would end up with 20 or so points to spend if I dropped them all. And I could get the autarch by dropping one of the dragon units down to 5 or 6. This may be the best option as I find I rarely use the flamers (although rerolling a heavy flamer is alot of fun and deadly) unless faced with a pure horde list as my dragons are needed to bust hard targets.

Guess I will crunch some numbers and post up a new list tomorrow. Thanks for the input so far keep it coming.

@ericismyname I didn't take a bike council it was eldrad, yriel, 10 warlocks in a serpent. Far more nasty in combat but a bit harder to get them there. But yes it is hard for me not to feel like a bully when I pull that group out.

·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok back with another list. Basing this off the idea of cutting out the exarchs.

HQ

Feugan 2**

Autarch 100
Mandiblaster, power weapon, fusion gun

Elites

10 firedragons 16*
wave serpent 110

10 firedragons 16*
wave serpent 110

5 firedragons 8*
waveserpent 110

Troops

10 stormguardians 127
waveserpent 110

10 stormguardians 127
waveserpent 110

10 stormguardians 127
waveserpent 110

Total 1746

I did toy with the idea of not taking the autarch which would give me the 3 full firedragon units and one lead by an exarch with DBF and crackshot, the second would be lead by fuegan and the third would be barebones.

Once again let me know what you think, or let me know if there are any glaringly large flaws that I am over looking.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Ya know, quoting an entire post to respond to one or two sentences is really not space efficient. I didnt realize my reply was going to be so short, and at the end of i was too lazy to start over.

I wasn't sure on all the other rules for crack shot, I suppose re-rolls would be rather nice on a heavy flamer. Though of the things in that army that could be dropped and not missed terribly, Crack shot is rather high on the list. You are correct. [/QUOTE]

The list looks good to me, get out there any try it. If you arnt putting it all in reserve or at least a large portion of it, I think they are pretty useless. Its that darn str and T 3.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I run a fuegan list myself and this is what Ive learned from it:

1 Fire dragons most efficiently recoup points in 5 man squads

2 Crack shot is always, always worth it

3 Fuegan can replace the exarch in one of your squads to give them tank hunters and then split off later

4 Fuegan gets owned by power weapons, never ever ever ever assault anything with a power weapon (ive had him owned by guard lieutenants with pws)

5 Dragon's breath flamer is hit or miss, but great v horde

6 Fuegan is the best tank killer in your army, his bs means that he hits 89 percent of the time. Within 9 inches he destroys a rhino (armory 11) 43 percent of the time. That is unbelievably good.

·
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the list ended up getting 6th out of 10 so not that great. In part it was the list, and in part it was bad rolls. Lastly I did some stupid things which cost me dearly. Very odd game objectives hurt as well. Two of them had objectives that once touched disappeared, it was not good for a reserve list as most were gone by the time my models hit the table. Points were given for damage done to the enemy with no regard to how hurt your army was. 5th was an orc list that lost all 3 games getting tabled twice but since he did so much damage to the enemy and got objectives that he didn't need to hold onto he got a decent score.

I went 1-2-0, first I lost to a mainly droppod vulkan list with flamers and meltas. I think I could have pulled out the win in this fight if I had used the 3rd firedragon squad for some long range shots at the sternguard squad he had instead of going after the vindicator that was to far away to shoot at first round (they were the most painful part of the enemy counter attack ). Biggest disappointment and part of the problem was my autarch and fuegan managed to cause a total of 1 wound in 3 rounds of combat, 29 attacks hitting on 3+ with wounds at 5+ or 3+ :( . Best part of this game was seeing the guys face when I popped 2 dreads 1 full squad and most of a second squad on my first turn showing up from reserves.

Second was against necrons. I pounced on a veil of darkness jumping immortal squad first round then was stupid and didn't regroup my force so only part of it hit his warrior squads giving him a chance at wbb and teleporting them around with a monolith. Ended up loosing this one also but got a decent chunk of points out of it.

Third was against deathwing termies in landraiders. Very easy game, popped 2 landraiders and then drown the termies in flames/shots a couple survived and I lost one firedragon unit in assault. Used the waveserpents to block the third from being able to charge my exposed infantry. Ended up killing everything but 1 land raider and had 2 troops on the king of the hill type objective in the middle.

In the end Fuegan was as bad as I feared for a tournament, the no invulnerable really hurt as so many squads had power weapons or power fists. Only time he really shined was in soaking up shots from the necrons. And more models/bigger guns would have helped more.

I did have a wonderful time and enjoyed all three games. I still struggle using a list with no true long range firepower but I think I would do better at this with more experience. If I use the same general list in a tournament again I will probably drop fuegan, even though it pains me to do so as it is a firedragon list and he is the lord of the fire dragons. Then grab a farseer and grab some better guns for the waveserpents or fill out the third firedragon squad depending on points. So many meltas makes for a great first strike and I generally have a squad or two left to keep hitting with. Something that most firedragon units never get to do.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Hmm I would have thought it would have done better. I feared that the dragons might have some trouble and the all shuriken cannon turrets, but i figured the combination of the 2 would have evened out.

Fuegon is generally not that good, at least not until they are pointed down or given inv or bla bla bla.

THe disappearing objectives are just silly. Make for easy wins, if u hadn't used reserve mech you coulda turbo boosted to all them , grab them and run away the whole game.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.