Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Big fish in a little pond
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok like the title says here's a list i'm thinking of running for this years circuit.

I'd welcome comments as to what do you think this list can and cannot handle.

2x Sorcerer: MoS, Lash,wings, melta bombs, personal icon

4x 10 CSM: Chaos Glory, Plasma gun, Lascannon

2x 5 Chosen: H Bolter

3x 2 Obliterators

58 models
9 scoring units

I think the weakest part of the list is the chosen. I've considered replacing them with Noise marines. I may drop 1 sorcerer so I don't get cheese thrown at me at every event.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Well, I'll be the first to take a crack here.

Here's what I think your army will be able to match up with reasonably - Guard, Tau, and foot slogging marines (chaos and regular).

Will give you trouble - Any highly mobile list with fast units. The reason here is that I fear your lack of mobility and relative static nature will hurt you. Unfortunately, a lot of lists for a variety of popular armies (smurfs and Eldar mainly) are geared in this general direction.

I think that the Chosen should actually be tooled up a bit more for an anti-tank role and the CSM squads switched out for Noise Marine squads with a Blastmaster and Sonic Blasters. Do maybe 2 squads of 8 chosen w/ 3-4 Meltas and a fist. Then, 4 squads of 8 Noise Marines w/ Sonic Blasters and a Blastmaster. Keep the 2 sorcerers and just wear a smock or something, perhaps bring some crackers? The Oblits are good.

With this set up I envision 4 strong fire support squads that can move and fire and 2 flexible units that can be placed where neccessary. With your current setup, you are paying around 100 pts for a heavy bolter. With the CSM squads, if you have to move your lascannon is wasted for a turn. With the Noise marines, at least you'll get lots of shots on the move and if you don't have to, a great bonus in extra shots and a blast template!

Just some thoughts I strung together, hope it provides some insight. Good luck at the GT!

·
Big fish in a little pond
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'll be the first to take a crack here.

Here's what I think your army will be able to match up with reasonably - Guard, Tau, and foot slogging marines (chaos and regular).

Will give you trouble - Any highly mobile list with fast units. The reason here is that I fear your lack of mobility and relative static nature will hurt you. Unfortunately, a lot of lists for a variety of popular armies (smurfs and Eldar mainly) are geared in this general direction.

I think that the Chosen should actually be tooled up a bit more for an anti-tank role and the CSM squads switched out for Noise Marine squads with a Blastmaster and Sonic Blasters. Do maybe 2 squads of 8 chosen w/ 3-4 Meltas and a fist. Then, 4 squads of 8 Noise Marines w/ Sonic Blasters and a Blastmaster. Keep the 2 sorcerers and just wear a smock or something, perhaps bring some crackers? The Oblits are good.

With this set up I envision 4 strong fire support squads that can move and fire and 2 flexible units that can be placed where neccessary. With your current setup, you are paying around 100 pts for a heavy bolter. With the CSM squads, if you have to move your lascannon is wasted for a turn. With the Noise marines, at least you'll get lots of shots on the move and if you don't have to, a great bonus in extra shots and a blast template!

Just some thoughts I strung together, hope it provides some insight. Good luck at the GT!
Thanks for the feedback!!
I like the idea of the noise marines, I guess slightly more mobile is better.
I like the Las/plas/glory squads as well though and with them I don't really need to worry about dedicated tank hunting squads. I guess it comes down to trying to see how well the 10 man squads holds up against a turn of pulse carbides or blade storming dire avengers.

I"m not so much worried about the fast lists, but the mechanized fast lists give me some worry as you noted. I really gotta change those chosen squads for sure though...

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think that one list that will give you significant problems is the one list you're almost guaranteed to face at the GT, and that's Mech Eldar Holofield Skimmers. Mech Eldar lists were all over the latest GT qualifying heat in the UK.

Your six oblits can deal with just about any other form of armor, but they just don't put out a high enough volume of fire to deal with the ubiquitous 3-Falcon mech eldar list. And the harlies those falcons spit out are going to have a field day with your las/plas squads.

I'd suggest dropping one unit of oblits and a chosen squad, and replacing them with a unit of 8x Havocs with 4x Autocannons.

I'd also suggest replacing the Heavy Bolter in the other chosen squad with an autocannon or lascannon, in the hopes that you'll be able to deploy them in LOS to a falcon he thought was hidden, win first turn, and get off a good shot at a stationary falcon (which may be the only time you get to do that all game against a player who knows what he's doing).

And don't worry about being accused of bringing cheese to the table at a tournament. Bringing a "fun" or "fluffy" list to a non-comp tournament is like bringing a knife to a gunfight.

Good luck at your tournament and happy hunting!

-GK

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.