Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's the revised list

HQ:
Pask w/Punisher, Heavy Bolter Sponsons, Relic Plating
Punisher w/heavy bolter Sponsons
393 pts

Tank Commander w/Vanquisher, Hull Lascannon, multi melta Sponsons, relic plating
Vanquisher w/Hull Lascannon
343 pts

Troops:
10x Vets w/heavy flamer, plasma gun
Chimera
150 pts

10x Vets w/heavy flamer, plasma gun
Chimera
150 pts

Fast Attack:
Vendetta
170 pts

Hellhound w/multi melta
135 pts

Heavy support:
Demolisher
170 pts

Demolisher
170 pts

wyvern
65 pts

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Are you going for an Armored Company theme? My heavy armor Guard usually brings at least one platoon of meat shields so the squadrons don't get one-shotted by a charge. You know the enemy isn't going to sit in his deployment zone and take the punishment.

With so few troops, it's worth asking if you want to do an Unbound list. If it's to run Armored Company then your opponent will probably accept your doing it. That's two LRBTs or Hellhounds you can add.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Are you going for an Armored Company theme? My heavy armor Guard usually brings at least one platoon of meat shields so the squadrons don't get one-shotted by a charge. You know the enemy isn't going to sit in his deployment zone and take the punishment.

With so few troops, it's worth asking if you want to do an Unbound list. If it's to run Armored Company then your opponent will probably accept your doing it. That's two LRBTs or Hellhounds you can add.
If only Armored Fist Squads were more reasonably priced...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would say that heavy armour benefits hugely from infantry support - 'manpower based ablative plating', if you will. Under 300 points buys you two basic platoons (much less if you give them no kit at all, but a vox and an autocannon gives them an inexpensive long-range punch) and a little extra would allow you to put a special weapon squad in your vendetta to go and claim objectives. I would drop an armoured fist squad and the hellhound to make the points available.

About the armoured fist squads - might you be able to make savings if you put the heavy flamers on the chimera instead? They can swap out one or both of their guns for heavy flamers for free, and they usually have to snap-shot one of their guns anyway, so you don't lose much firepower. Likewise, if you go unbound and don't really need the veterans' shooting power, you could take a two-squad infantry platoon, give each infantry squad a chimera and put the platoon command squad in the vendetta. These three squads are only ten points (base price) more than two veteran squads, and this gives you an extra unit in the vendetta for a late-game objective grab.

What is your plan for the vanquisher with multi-melta sponsons? The vanquisher is meant to engage at long range, and the multi-meltas are a short-range weapon, so whilst they aren't a bad upgrade (they are a very decent price) you should be certain that they will be useful. If your opponent favours landraider charges, dreadnoughts in drop pods or overly-friendly forgefiends then they will come in handy, but if you are up against lascannon predators or tau hammerheads then the multi-meltas probably won't come into play. Indeed, Pask is quite a good tank hunter in a punisher with multi-meltas, believe it or not (he can glance landraiders to death with his rending punisher cannon - I've checked the stats) and he might make better use of the multi-meltas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I've taken your suggestions into consideration and swapped out the vets for a basic infantry platoon in chimeras. i also gave the meltas to pask and gave him an executioner buddy. with leftover points i added 2 primaris psykers to trail behind the Leman Russes giving TL and whatnot. it totals out to 1751.

HQ:
Pask w/Punisher, multi melta Sponsons, Relic Plating
Executioner w/plasma cannon Sponsons
418 pts

Tank Commander w/Vanquisher, Hull Lascannon, relic plating
Vanquisher w/Hull Lascannon
323 pts

2 primaris psykers
100 pts

Troops:
Infantry platoon 270 pts
PCS
Infantry squad w/grenade launcher
Chimera w/heavy flamer
Infantry squad w/grenade launcher
Chimera

Fast Attack:
Vendetta
170 pts

Heavy support:
Demolisher
170 pts

Demolisher
170 pts

2 wyverns
130 pts

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
You only have one troop choice in that list mate.

Platoons are great but you don't have the points for one and a second troops choice in this list without making some serious sacrifices. I'd stick with the Veterans simply as it fills your 2 minimum Troop slots. Anyway, have you considered using Taurox? It will save you a few points to equip your units.

Two Veteran squads in Taruox both with 2 Plasma Guns comes to 260pts. Give them both H-Stubbers for the last 10points and your gold.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
You only have one troop choice in that list mate.

Platoons are great but you don't have the points for one and a second troops choice in this list without making some serious sacrifices. I'd stick with the Veterans simply as it fills your 2 minimum Troop slots. Anyway, have you considered using Taurox? It will save you a few points to equip your units.

Two Veteran squads in Taruox both with 2 Plasma Guns comes to 260pts. Give them both H-Stubbers for the last 10points and your gold.
The Taurox models are are so profoundly fugly. I'll opt for a Chimera every time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Taurox models are are so profoundly fugly. I'll opt for a Chimera every time.
I agree. I'm a bigger fan of the military look of the chimeras. Also have that extra front AV and I already have 1 model so... With that said. I revised the troops section to include:

10 vets w/plasma gun
Chimera

10 vets w/plasma gun
Chimera w/heavy flamer

Comes out to 10 points extra than the infantry platoon.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Yes, well, you don't use the GW model obviously :p I didn't! Although, the Taurox does look hugely better with wheels instead of those silly track units.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Just a thought, you may want to drop a Demolisher in exchange for a tech priest with servitors. Combined with the lower likelihood of tanks getting popped, they've been working wonders in my lists (and really irritating my opponents).

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
Not enough armor for an Enginseer. Might as well keep the second Russ.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts