Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not only am I new to the Forum, I'm very new to the game. My first official tournament is coming up and since I have a win/loss ratio of about 1/7 I wanted to post the army I was planning on fielding for some constructive criticism. I would really like to not go in to my first tournament and make an idiot of myself by breaking rules/getting slaughtered. And before you say anything, yes, I know, I need some White Lions or some Swordmasters or SOMETHING. I'm going to try to buy some but my hopes aren't high.

20 Lothern Seaguard
-Shields
-Full Command

1 Eagles' Claw Repeater Bolt Thrower

14 Pheonix Guard
-Full Command
-Banner of Sorcery
-Skeinsliver

10 Archers
-Hawkeye

10 Archers
-Hawkeye

8 Silverhelms
-Shields
-Full command
-Warbanner

Caradryan (General, With Pheonix Guard)

Mage
-Level 2
-Starwood Staff

Noble (Army Banner Bearer, with Silver Helms)
-Barded Elven Steed
-Battle banner
-Lance
-Heavy Armour
-Shield

·
Registered
168 Posts
Not only am I new to the Forum, I'm very new to the game. My first official tournament is coming up and since I have a win/loss ratio of about 1/7 I wanted to post the army I was planning on fielding for some constructive criticism. I would really like to not go in to my first tournament and make an idiot of myself by breaking rules/getting slaughtered. And before you say anything, yes, I know, I need some White Lions or some Swordmasters or SOMETHING. I'm going to try to buy some but my hopes aren't high.

Well then welcome to the forum and to the game as well :)
My opinions in red.

20 Lothern Seaguard
-Shields
-Full Command

I'm not a fan of these and I think 20 is too big. If I were you I'd use the pts elsewhere or perhaps a big unit of spears !

1 Eagles' Claw Repeater Bolt Thrower

Can't rly say much about this. This is a must to have at least one !

14 Pheonix Guard
-Full Command
-Banner of Sorcery
-Skeinsliver

10 Archers
-Hawkeye

Remove Hawkeye.

10 Archers
-Hawkeye

Remove Hawkeye.

8 Silverhelms
-Shields
-Full command
-Warbanner

Caradryan (General, With Pheonix Guard)

Mage
-Level 2
-Starwood Staff

Too weak. Give him 2 dispel scrolls instead

Noble (Army Banner Bearer, with Silver Helms)
-Barded Elven Steed
-Battle banner
-Lance
-Heavy Armour
-Shield

I'm unsure about the Pheonix Guards but see what happens. Let me know how you do in the tournament pal and goodluck

·
Registered
153 Posts
After what Miaw said, and your own understanding that you need SM or WL.. the only real advice I can give is that your one mage has 4 power dice to cast with without the banner.. unless your going for larger spells (which you may not get) I don't think you need all those PD with just one Mage that only has 2 spells. One mage is probably not going to get off too many spells at these points and better to be used for magic defense (IMO, and I stess that greatly) If anything, I'd gear him up for defense and take the seerstaff so he can choose spells which is much more reliable and that still lets him take that much needed dispel scroll.

15 spearmen/Seaguard is more cost efficient than 20.. that's a lot. Frees up a lot of points especially if you switch to spears.

Hawkeyes are ok, but not worth their weight in points. Again frees up points.

By taking Miaw's advice and mine, that's either another bolt thrower you could add in and really have more diversity with shooting.. or even an entire unit of ??? x7 SM or WL!! Maybe even 5 DP? hmm

Below is your list with the adjustments made. You can fill in the blanks from there. It has 205 pts to fill in! Not too shabby.

----------------------------------

1 Caradryan, Captain of the Phoenix Guard (Heavy Armour; Causes Fear; Magic Resistance (3))
1 The Phoenix Blade

1 Noble (Battle Standard Bearer) (Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer)
1 Elven Steed
1 Battle Banner
7 Silver Helms (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield)
1 High Helm (Hand Weapon; Lance; Heavy Armour; Shield)
8 Elven Steed

1 Mage (Level 2 Upgrade; Hand Weapon)
1 Dispel Scroll
1 The Seerstaff of Saphery

10 Archers (Hand Weapon; Longbow)

10 Archers (Hand Weapon; Longbow)

14 Spearmen (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Spear; Light Armour; Shield)
1 Sentinel (Hand Weapon; Spear; Light Armour; Shield)

13 Phoenix Guard (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Halberd; Heavy Armour; Causes Fear)
1 Keeper of the Flame (Hand Weapon; Halberd; Heavy Armour)
1 The Skeinsliver

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower (Repeater Bolt Thrower)
2 Crew (Hand Weapon; Light Armour)

Total Roster Cost: 1545

Reactions: VenDraciese

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like the ideas for the mage and the archers, and I did decide to skip out on the Seaguard, but I'm having a hard time seeing a group of 15 spearmen. I have a difficult enough time getting 20 spearmen into battle without them being blown to pieces by cannons, bolt throwers, organ guns, Hellfire Rocket Batteries, etc.

I guess I could do 2 groups of 15 spearmen, but one would have to give up the command group and one would almost certainly die to skinks or thunderers before I even got to melee. Is that a viable option?

Once again, money is an issue as I don't have a second bolt thrower to field.

One of the problems I have with magic is that I just don't know what is going to be fielded against me. One of my friends is always playing Dwarves, where I don't need to worry about dispelling but nothing ever gets through. The other friend plays lizardmen, and he plays them magic heavy, usually forgoing regular units for two skink priests, one atop a stegadon with the engine of the gods. Aiming for the center says that I should probably go with Scorpio, but I'm not sure if two mages is common for a game this small.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts