Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a go at a 1750 pt. semi competitive force I've been using recently with a lot of luck. Tell me what you guys think:

HQ
Archon
Drugs
Jetbike
Shadowfield
Plasma Grenades
Hellmask
Tormentor Helm
Power Weapon

Elites
Wyche Squad x2
8 Wyches
Succubus
Agoniser
Raider

Warp Beasts
x5

Mandrakes
x6

Fast Attack
Reavers
x5
Blaster x2
Succubus
Powerweapon

Troops
Sniper Squad x2
10x Warriors
2x Lances

Assault Squad x2
15x Warriors
2x Cannon
2x Blaster
Sybarite
Agoniser

Heavy
Talos

Ravager

Ravager
2x Dizzies

I usually put the sniper squads in cover towards either side but in the middle for a good field of fire. I put the assault squads on the flanks usually with a Ravager and a Wych raider ready to respond to threats. I use the Reavers for tank hunting and light assault, the lord to rush up on and mow down anything from Tactical Squads to Guardsmen and the Talos in the center to draw fire and put pressure on the enemy. The mandrakes for securing objectives and table quarters, letting me make use of all my more expensive units rather than leaving them out of the battle in a quarter. What chall think?

·
Resident Mongoose
797 Posts
Hmmm... I'll just take a look at this list from an opposing army's perspective, if you don't mind.
I'll ignore the talos, as it cannot keep up with the greater threats in your army, like wytches, your lord, and your bikes.
Your ravager with three dark lances will likely be the first to fall, moving as slowly as it is. From there, I'll be maneuvering to get close to your lord to barrage him with splinter rifle rounds, hopefully causing him to fail one save and downing the shadowfield. Next: Provided I can maneuver my wytches into position, I'll engage yours in h2h, and since your don't have wytche weapons on them, I think that I will prevail.
Your beasts I will try to shoot, your mandrakes, I'll ignore, your sniper squads, I'll probably either ignore or assault later in the game. Your reavers will probably be a bit of a problem though. As will your giant warrior squads. Basically, I don't yet have a plan for that, the above is a rough ideal outline for turns 1 and 2, and basically a prioritization of targets. Not that I actually expect things to go remotely that smoothly, but I can dream.

All in all, this is one of the most interesting lists I've seen in a long time, a interesting mix of fast and slower units. I can only really spot a few weak points in this list:
1. Wytches lack wytche weapons, and therefore a lot of staying power.
2. Talos: It's really slow compared to the rest of your army.
3. Ravager w/3DLs: I can't really see how this works. If you could enlighten me?

I'm also curious as to what armies you've played with this list.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot to mention they do have wych weapons. The lord does usually stay in cover until needed, I have never had him killed before he got into close combat. The Talos also has helped me in every game with every list I have ever played, drawing fire and ripping stuff apart if he does get to it. I usually kill something each turn with wildfire if anything is in range.

As for the 3 lance Ravager, I thought it would be useful for tank and daemon prince busting, but it is so inflexible. I dont know where to get 10 points to add the dizzies, maybe drop a warrior from each assault squad?

As for you saying your ease in defeating my army, you make it sound like I am not reacting to what you are doing at all. Thanks for the advice though. Anything else you can think of?

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
Here is another point of view.

Archon
Drugs
Jetbike
Shadowfield
Plasma Grenades
Hellmask
Tormentor Helm
Power Weapon
I don’t care for the mask and would easily trade it for a trophy rack because with the small bike squad size you will be taking leadership tests often.

Wyche Squad x2
8 Wyches
Succubus
Agoniser
Raider
Nice but don’t forget to add wych weapons and be sure to write it down on your list.

Warp Beasts x5
I like this unit, they make everyone of my lists if at all possible. I would use them as a counter charger to the foot squads or keep them close to the mandrakes as the mandrakes will need a power weapons assistance.

Mandrakes
x6
A little small even for strategic purposes of playing the mission – I would only run them this small if I had another mandrake squad to run with them.

Reavers
x5
Blaster x2
Succubus
Powerweapon
Don’t forget the T-helm for the extra attack. Remember that they are not like wyches and you need to select your target carefully – even with a lord they are not as stable as a wych squad and the 4+ save doesn’t help all that much.

Assault Squad x2
15x Warriors
2x Cannon
2x Blaster
Sybarite
Agoniser
Absolutely love these guys. Run n’ gun right up the field and they make a decent “tar-pit” unit with the hidden agoniser inside.

I like this guy too, trail it behind or in front of the warrior squads and let this guy “soak” up the fire. I regularly lose this guy in the 2nd or 3rd turn and I would easily say it is worth it. He literally takes attention away from the true close combat threats and by the time the Talos dies the wyches and lords have already made it into their lines. It also makes a good objective taker.

Ravagers
3x Lances
2x Dizzies
I like both ravagers really, I usually use a 3 darklance ravager in a portal list and just have it pop out and put 3 lances on a tank or dready so you will have to be careful on how you hide this guy. Remember that you have to hide 6 skimmers and a bike squad really well so you will be hard pressed to find that much cover. In a tournament, I think you will have too much to hide due to lack of cover.

Well, you mentioned you have already used this list with success so you must know how to use it well. Just another point of view from my style of play and experiences.

Good luck and happy hunting!

·
Resident Mongoose
797 Posts
I bolded a line in my first reply, just to make sure I get the point across. Thing is though, you've got a really odd mix of units generally not seen. A talos outside a portal. Ravager with DLs. Mandrakes (Don't you mean 5, not six). Lord with masks. If that works for you, by all means use it. DE lists tend to be very unique. That was just how I would go about trying to take your list apart, I meant no offense. I'm just not seeing how I would play this list is all.

·
Registered
51 Posts
when i first started playing i walked my army now i mount up. so i can see how your list will work. i do like the warpbeasts good at wiping out shooty squads. the talos will soak up fire. mongoose is right about the lord the shield will fall to bolter fire. the weakness is hvy bolters but every de player knows this so you'll be fine just expect tol lose ravagers early. and take the extra time to move across the board to pick out priorities and hide as much as you can crossing

1 - 6 of 6 Posts