Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody

I'm a beginner in the universe of 40k and I got a regular SM army really cheap, so that is what I will be starting with. The chapter I'm going with will be the Mortifactors, like the colors and fluff and not many uses them. I'm hope that you could help me to build a decent allround armylist with my current models, which I have listed below. 1500 and 1750 point are what I am looking for.
Tau will be my most common enemy with heavy use of marker lights and some Eldar, so it would be nice if my army could hold its own against these two armies. :) I have only played two games and it was against the Tau guy with 1 lucky win and 1 loss.

2 Captains
1 Librarian with plasmapistol
1 Chaplain with jumppack
3x10 Tac marines with flamers, 1 plasmagun, 2 meltaguns, 3 missile launcher, 1 sgt powerfist
1 Scout squard with 4 sniper rifles and 1 heavy bolters, camo cloaks
2x5 assault marines, both sgt with powerweapons
2x5 terminators with no heavyweapon options, do not have the bits
3 dreadnoughts
- 1 with twinlinked lascannon and missile launcher
- 1 with dccw, stormbolter and multimelta
- 1 with dccw, heavy flamer and assault cannon
1 Rhino
2 Razorbacks magnetized
1 Predator magnetized
3 Attackbikes magnetized
+ 5 sternguards on the way with 2 combimeltas

I have no other kinds of heavy weapons to my marines, so I can not at the moment give my tac squards any other weapons.

Sorry for my bad english, hope my post make some since. :)

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Hey there Trolbri, Welcome to LO! Also, welcome to the Chapter House. I hope you enjoy your stay!

I went and did some quick reading on the Mortifactors. Seems they are a pretty standard codex chapter, with strong Chaplain leadership. With that in mind, a Chaplain would be a great start for your HQ, and to go with him, a squad of assault marines.

An important, though perhaps not necessarily difficult decision, is whether you want to go mechanized, or footslogging. With the rhino, and two razorbacks, you have a good start, another rhino would be a good decision however.

For anti-tank I'd grab those attack bikes and throw multi-meltas on them. Run them around and fusion-blast tanks to bits.

Predators of the massed-fire (dakkapred) seem to be the favorite right now, though since yours is magnetized try it both ways!

Scout snipers seem popular, I'd keep them in there.

The Assault cannon and Multimelta dreads seem like good additions as well. Give you some extra vehicles and a bit of extra anti troop/tank firepower, as well as something to bash up especially hard targets. Though Terminators could also fill this roll.

Sternguard are very appealing, so I'd hang onto those.

Assault marines, could cause some real havok for eldar/tau lines, especially with that chaplain in there to increase their hits. A power-fist would be nice I suppose on the champ, but if you use them as anti-infantry the sword may very well be better.

Grab a couple powerfists for your tactical squad.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was also planning on using the Chaplain alot because of the fluff. In my last game, which I lost but that is not important, I ran him with my assault marines and it was a nasty combat force and the chaplain was worth his point. So he is a keeper, I also like to go in hand to hand combat with my enemy.

I used the dakka pred in my last game, but it was immobilised (hate that railgun & markerlights), but it did put out alot of shots, which did helped me as backup.:)

Alzer, you suggested me to get some anti-tank and vehicles, what did ou have in mind? As for anti-tank I could use Lascannon dread or is there good reason why not to choose that one? :)

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
I was suggesting you grab a second rhino to put a tactical squad in, keep yourself mobile.

Using two assault squads wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea if you want to be doing combat.

Another thing to consider, is putting a teleport homer on one of your squads, and being able to drop in your terminators and have them charge. Alternatively you could foot-slog terminators. Either way I feel that if you want some combat a terminator squad would give you a solid hard-hitting elite unit for it. Maybe grab the thunder hammer/storm shield and lightening claw bit packs so you can customize them into assault terminators.

A Hellfire dreadnought honestly provides some decent anti-vehicle/anti Monstrous creature shooting from long range. Really I would only keep one around, however. Dreds are ok fire support, they can keep up with walking squads, though the fire angles they achieve aren't always optimal. Hopefully someone else has more to say on dreads, I tend to shred them with gauss, so I can't attest terribly well to their effectiveness against tau/eldar.

Against armies with the vehicle killing power that eldar and tau have, it is important to keep many vehicles around so they can't just wipe out the few you have and leave you completely stranded.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Somehow in my two games against Tau, my dreadnoughts were really tough because his dice were not on his side. :sinister:

Alzer, what kind of anti-tank stuff are you thinking of?

·
No Life King
2,819 Posts
Attack bikes with Multi-Meltas. You can get in close fast, and with only 2-3 per squad they can get around obstacles without issue. Once you're at 12" (get side armor if possible) you blast them with melta and the deed should be pretty well done at that point. (I actually said that line 4 of my first post by the way.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts