Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just throwing out a random AC list ... trying to keep the fun in the game while maintaining some form of competitiveness, so all comments are welcome so long as you back up your statements. ^_^ This is my first actual AC list, so be easy on me. ;) I'm trying to go for an overall "balanced" feel.

Doctrines

• Leman Russ Exterminator
  • Ace Driver

HQ

[1] Leman Russ Exterminator (Command)
+Hull Heavy Bolter
+Heavy Bolter sponsons
+Extra Armour
+Ace Driver
=255 points

Troops

[1] Leman Russ Battletank
+Hull Heavy Bolter
+Heavy Bolter sponsons
+Extra Armour
=160 points

[1] Leman Russ Battletank
+Hull Heavy Bolter
+Heavy Bolter sponsons
+Extra Armour
=160 points

Elites

[10] Storm Troopers
+Plasma Gun (x2)
[1] Chimera
+Multi-Laser
+Hull Heavy Bolter
+Extra Armour
+Smoke Launchers
+Ace Driver
=228 points

[10] Storm Troopers
+Plasma Gun (x2)
[1] Chimera
+Multi-Laser
+Hull Heavy Bolter
+Extra Armour
+Smoke Launchers
+Ace Driver
=228 points

Fast Attack

[2] Sentinels
+Multi-Laser (x2)
+Hunter-Killer Missile (x2)
+Extra Armour
=120 points

[2] Sentinels
+Lascannon (x2)
+Hunter-Killer Missile (x2)
+Extra Armour
=140 points

[1] Hellhound
+Extra Armour
+Ace Driver
=135 points

Heavy Support

[1] Leman Russ Demolisher
+Hull Heavy Bolter
+Extra Armour
+Ace Driver
=165 points

[1] Basalisk
+Indirect Fire
=125 points

[1] Basalisk
+Indirect Fire
=125 points

Total Points: 1841
Total Models: 33
Total Vehicles: 13

Tactics: I didn't want to waste the Command Tank's above-average BS on an Ordnance weapon, so I made him an Exterminator and kitted him to dish out as many shots/turn as possible. The Hellhound is there to mainly discourage swarms, as well as to discourage people in cover - it can, and will, start running through some Dangerous Terrain (hence Ace Driver) to get rid of the most annoying of those in cover. The two Basalisks will be (of course) hanging back, as much out of sight as possible, with one or two of the Leman Russ Battletanks staying back a little bit as well (not as much as them, but enough to guard them from Deep Strikers).

The Sentinels are the flankers - one squad is good for lightly armoured vehicles (or, if need-be, to throw their HK missiles at better armoured vehicles) and infantry, while the other squad's main purpose is enemy tanks. The Demolisher will move up, staying out of LOS as much as possible (going to try to use terrain again, with Ace Drivers) and will try to take out the most expensive enemy units. The two squads of Storm Troopers are the objective takers and holders. After they disembark (preferably in some sort of bunker or other form of cover), they will hold for the victory points while the Chimeras move out to help the rest of the force with their high number of shots.

Opinions? Appreciated in advance. ^_^

Librarium | Online | Forums

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Well it's hard to analyze really this kind of list, any competitive suggestion may not be to your liking, as you say you are trying to balance fun with competitiveness. I'll make the suggestions I would normally make, and if you feel I'm trying to hard to be competitive, just ignore me :).

1/ Your HQ has Improved Comms, put it on your list so you don't forget it ;)
2/ The job of a Vanquisher is done cheaper by a normal Leman Russ with Anti-Tank rounds. You can use the same model, but save points some points.
3/ Certain of your units are basically not going to move much, making Ace Drivers questionable (for example the exterminator). Of course they must have the most spent on Doctrines, so consider something more useful like Ace Gunners.
4/ Random fact: I've always fancied putting Side Skirts on a Demolisher (you do the math).
5/ Russes are best armed with triple Heavy Bolters. If you fire the Ordinance your not going to fire the Lascannon anyway, and if you take Heavy Bolter sponsons the Lascannon doesn't really mesh with the sponsons. I prefer to save points, and put Lascannons/Anti-Tank rounds elsewhere.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Addoran said:
Well it's hard to analyze really this kind of list, any competitive suggestion may not be to your liking, as you say you are trying to balance fun with competitiveness. I'll make the suggestions I would normally make, and if you feel I'm trying to hard to be competitive, just ignore me :).
Will do. Thanks for that. ;)

Addoran said:
1/ Your HQ has Improved Comms, put it on your list so you don't forget it ;)
2/ The job of a Vanquisher is done cheaper by a normal Leman Russ with Anti-Tank rounds. You can use the same model, but save points some points.
3/ Certain of your units are basically not going to move much, making Ace Drivers questionable (for example the exterminator). Of course they must have the most spent on Doctrines, so consider something more useful like Ace Gunners.
4/ Random fact: I've always fancied putting Side Skirts on a Demolisher (you do the math).
5/ Russes are best armed with triple Heavy Bolters. If you fire the Ordinance your not going to fire the Lascannon anyway, and if you take Heavy Bolter sponsons the Lascannon doesn't really mesh with the sponsons. I prefer to save points, and put Lascannons/Anti-Tank rounds elsewhere.
1) Well, this isn't the "printable" version, so if I were going to use it, I'll make sure to include them.

2) I actually forgot the name of the Exterminator and put Vanquisher instead.. woops. :tongue: I'll go edit any instances of that out of my post.

3) Ace Gunners was rather expensive, IMO, and I wanted to have Ace Drivers just in case - typically, we play on a relatively high-terrain board here, and it's always nice to have a backup. A few re-rolls per turn isn't worth those points, IMO.

4) Actually, the rules say that the side armour for the Side Skirts can't go higher than 13, or if the vehicle's front armour is less than 13, can't go higher than the front armour.

5) In this list, if I replace those Lascannons with some Heavy Bolters, will I have enough anti-tank in the Ordnance/couple Lascannons for a standard 1850 army, do you think?

Thanks for the comments!

·
646 Posts
This is a well constructed list Nemesis, I'm quite impressed at the diversity, and I like your Sentinels (personaly I think they are an underated unit).

By the way, I think you have typoes somewhere. You have your command tank as an Exterminator, but you say it is a Vanquisher in your tactics.

Personaly I can't think of a way to improve on it, although if you intend to put the Storm Troopers in the Chimera I would give them smoke, there's little more satisfying than driving a Chimera up 12" then blowing smoke so only a damage result of 5+ will stop it. However, if they are footslogging then there is no point - and this puts you 1pts over.

Also, I'm a fan of the 3 Heavy Bolter setup on the Russ, but that's just me. Personaly I think your Sentinels give you all the Lascannons you need, it's fire support you are low on.

The army has a strong core and some Heavy support to back it up. It might be weak against fast anti-tank units and deepstrikers, but obviously the same is true of any AC list.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Xethemez said:
This is a well constructed list Nemesis, I'm quite impressed at the diversity, and I like your Sentinels (personaly I think they are an underated unit).
I appreciate the comment. ^_^

Xethemez said:
By the way, I think you have typoes somewhere. You have your command tank as an Exterminator, but you say it is a Vanquisher in your tactics.
Indeed, I noticed that. Editted!

Xethemez said:
Personaly I can't think of a way to improve on it, although if you intend to put the Storm Troopers in the Chimera I would give them smoke, there's little more satisfying than driving a Chimera up 12" then blowing smoke so only a damage result of 5+ will stop it. However, if they are footslogging then there is no point - and this puts you 1pts over.
Hmm. Good suggestion, really. I can get rid of that "one point over" issue by taking the Lascannon off the Demolisher and adding a Heavy Bolter instead. I'll throw that in.

Xethemez said:
The army has a strong core and some Heavy support to back it up. It might be weak against fast anti-tank units and deepstrikers, but obviously the same is true of any AC list.
Thanks again for the comments. ^_^

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
On the Lascannon thing, I'd just make all your sentinels Lascannons then...possibly even drop the Hellhound and have 6 Sentinel Lascannons.

If Ace Drivers is a specific response to your table, then that's all fine. It's been a while since I read my Armoured Company PDF (my list hasn't changed since I built the army), so I must be off on the Side Skirts. Still AV14 front and side sounded pretty tasty to me :(.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Addoran said:
On the Lascannon thing, I'd just make all your sentinels Lascannons then...possibly even drop the Hellhound and have 6 Sentinel Lascannons.

If Ace Drivers is a specific response to your table, then that's all fine. It's been a while since I read my Armoured Company PDF (my list hasn't changed since I built the army), so I must be off on the Side Skirts. Still AV14 front and side sounded pretty tasty to me :(.
You just wanted a cheaper-than-standard Land Raider. :tongue:

I don't know, about the anti-tank. For the most part, I have:

1) At least four Battlecannon-strengthed Ordnance weapons
2) Demolisher Cannon
3) Two Lascannons
4) Four Hunter-Killer Missiles
5) (For lighter stuff) Plenty of S5/S6 shots

I think that's more than enough for a balanecd 1850 list. I usually see somewhere like.. a couple Vyper Jetbikes, and a few Falcons... or two Hammerheads and a Devilfish, etc.

The Eldar player doesn't really kit his Falcons out right, though, so they aren't impossible to kill. ;) I'll have to teach him how to make some better army lists.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I suppose your right, I just play a lot of Treadheads and I have a penchant for lot's of non-scattering anti-tank in all my armies.

As a random piece of advice I learned from my 2000pt AC I discovered an important lesson I'll share if you ever make the models - don't play Dark Eldar at 2000pts with Armoured Company.

That's how many BS4 Dark Lances? Crap.

Seriously, if you ever half-consider making an Armoured Company list and have good friends who play - go for it. They are incredibly fun to play with as a second army, convert and look great parked upon yourself. It's only people who buy them because they think they can use them as their 'regular' army that give AC a bad name.

I love the look of my AC - they are the Narmenians from Gaunt's Ghosts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts