Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a little something I cooked up, after having skimmed through a number of nicely crafted 4th edition infantry builds. Basic tactics should be fairly obvious. The havocs are small, but considering the other aggressive high priority units, they should avoid too much heckling. Also, I'm tinkering with smaller noise marine squads. These units, when compared to the popular 8 man sonic squads w/ a blastmaster, are more capable of dealing with the same threats, but with less points wasted on sonic blaster that would otherwise have little synergy when the blastmaster fires at tanks. Here's a quick rundown:

Configuration #1: 2 units of 8 noise marines with sonic blasters and a blastmaster = 470 points
Configuration #2: 3 units of 5 noise marines with sonic blasters and a blastmaster = 480 points

Obviously, the second configuration affords an additional blastmaster. As mentioned above, tank busting with the blastmaster in an 8 man sonic squad is an extremely cost-expensive, whereas the 5 man squads are much more efficient for the point value. To take this one step further, configuration #2 allows more simultaneous versatility for killing both vehicles and the swarm. In fact, configuration #2 can produce the same tank busting shots as configuration #1, while still resolving a noise marine squad against the swarm.

On to the build:

HQ: 145

Chaos Sorcerer- 145
*IoS
*Lash of Submission
*Flight

ELITE: 429

Chaos Terminator Squad- 185
*5x termis
**4x combi-plasmas
**1x heavy flamer & power fist

Chaos Chosen Squad- 244
*8x chosen w/ IoK
**2x plasma guns
**1x a.c. w/ power fist
(Thanks, Caluin, for introducing me to the wonders of Khornate Chosen. I'm thoroughly addicted.)

TROOPS: 480

Noise Marine Squad- 160
*5x noise
**4x w/ sonic blasters
**1x blastmaster

Noise Marine Squad- 160
*5x noise
**4x w/ sonic blasters
**1x blastmaster

Noise Marine Squad- 160
*5x noise
**4x w/ sonic blasters
**1x blastmaster

FAST: 500

Chaos Raptors- 250
*8x raptors with IoK
**2x melta guns
**1x a.c w/ power fist

Chaos Raptors- 250
*8x raptors with IoK
**2x melta guns
**1x a.c w/ power fist

HEAVY: 300

Chaos Havoc Squad- 150
*6x havocs
**3x missile launchers

Chaos Havoc Squad- 150
*6x havocs
**3x missile launchers

TOTAL COST: 1854
TOTAL MODEL: 57
TOTAL ARMOR PIECES: 0

EDIT: Does the build need more icons for the deep striking termis?

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Looks like a nicely solid list Rabbit, I'd be interested to see how it performs. I just have a couple things to think about -

- Lash Sorcerer, you know for ten more points you could switch this guy out for a Slaneesh Daemon Prince with Lash. He's not as easily hidden obviously, but now he'd be scoring and probably more useful overall.

-As for icons, it looks like you have plenty that are very mobile. If all else fails, you can always DS the conventional way.

-Interesting Chosen unit, if you're planning to assault with them, perhaps consider switching out for Meltaguns, that way nothing gets in the way of your assault (and you will have ten extra points for that Damon Prince)

-With all those Meltaguns on the Raptors, you could consider switching out one of the ML sets for Autocannons - for non 3+ armies.

Anyway, these are just some things to think about, it looks fine as is. Keep up the good work. ;Y

Reactions: Rabbit

·
The other Kind of Fluff
8,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hotspike, thanks for the tips.

Sorcerer over Prince: There are two reason I prefer a sorcerer for this build:

1- In all-infantry builds, princes become the obvious target for enemy tank busters.
2- Princes are designed for c.c., which can pose problems when combined with the lash, which benefits only at range. Don't get me wrong, the lash prince is a very effective configuration, and I've used him to great effect. However, a prince generally gets to 'lash' only a couple of times during the game, whereas the sorcerer, when used properly, should be capable of using it 3-4 times. This particularly applies in builds that use include plenty of other mid ranged units like the noise marines, where he can hide once the raptors engage in c.c.

Havocs: I'm considering changing one to auto cannons. However, I'm a little concerned that not having enough heavier tank busting that can do the job at long range. Usually, my havocs manage any light armored vehicles while en route to the enemy lines.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think that with the 3 small squads you would have much better flexibility and it would fit this army much better than the 2 larger Noise Marine squads. Additionally, with that many Sonic weapons, I think Autocannons would be a waste, and Missle Launchers would serve you much better and provide the tank busting you are looking for.

If you want another icon, consider changing the Plasmas on the Chosen to Meltas or Flamers and throw a personal icon on you sorcerer.

Otherwise looks like a good, tactically flexible list that should play well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.