Librarium Online Forums banner

1850 Competitive List

444 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ForgedInTheFurnaceOfWar 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my first Space Marine list with the new codex and I haven't played 40k in a LONG while (2-3 years). Please critique and provide reasons for your advice. Thanks in advance for any help! Also, please forgive any mistakes, I don't have the core rulebook yet.

Space Marines [1850]: Swift Strike

HQ:

130 Space Marine Chaplain: Plasma Pistol, Jump Pack

Troops:

235 Tactical Squad: 5 Space Marines, Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Power Fist, Drop Pod

235 Tactical Squad: 5 Space Marines, Meltagun, Missile Launcher, Power Fist, Drop Pod

115 Scout Squad: Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher, Power Weapon, Camo- Cloaks

150 Scout Squad: Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher, Camo-Cloaks, Sergeant Telion

Elites:

160 Dreadnought: Heavy Flamer, Assault Cannon, Drop Pod

190 Ironclad Dreadnought: Heavy Flamer, Ironclad Assault Launchers, Drop Pod

265 Terminator Squad: Assault Cannon, Drop Pod

Fast Attack:

185 Assault Squad: 2 Plasma Pistols, Power Weapon, Melta Bombs, Drop Pod

The idea is pretty simple, use the scouts to take and hold positions and drop pod in, smashing tanks with dreadnoughts and infantry with everything else. Also just wondering, do I have to buy a camo cloak for Telion? Can he even get one? Thanks again for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok here we go...definitely drop the pod on the terminators as they can deep strike regardless already. Same goes for the assault squads unless you have removed their jump packs, which I'd say definitely stray from doing. With both of these pods and from the termis you get 105 points to spend. Then if you want to be safe for your deep striking throw a teleport homer on a scout squad, not necessary but hey.

With these touch ups you have more options to throw around...another scout squad, maybe some deep striking speeders, or even drop a plasma pistol somewhere and throw in a vindicator if you want. I like it though, try and fit in a power fist or two also, and since your are deepstriking everything essentially pull out some plasma pistols for flamers because you'll need them before the charge. Also the power weapon on the scouts probably won't be of use considering the heavy weapons in the squad

And to answer your other question yes telion would get camo as he "replaces" the squad sergeant and is not an independant character. Therefore he benefits from the camo as if he was the sergeant, and of any other "unit" upgrade you give them. Since frag and kraks are standard now though that's reallyh the only unit upgrade available :p hope this helps and welcome back to the game ^^

Lance out

Reactions: Penguin_Buddha
#3 · (Edited)
Comments in RED

HQ:

130 Space Marine Chaplain: Plasma Pistol, Jump Pack

The chaplain isnt as brutal as he used to be with less wounds and being slightly slower but still a solid HQ.

Troops:

Since you plan to drop pod the squad you might consider the MM instead of the missile in one or both of the squads since you will be close anyway.

115 Scout Squad: Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher, Power Weapon, Camo- Cloaks

The Power weapon will probably not make its points up since you have assualt squads, Termies and Dreads to block any charges that might come at them. The rest of the squad is good.

150 Scout Squad: Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher, Camo-Cloaks, Sergeant Telion

I've used Tellion a few times and he hasnt been too helpful (bad rolls) but since he can hand off his BS to another member or snipe specific models he is still usefull

Elites:

265 Terminator Squad: Assault Cannon, Drop Pod

Unfortunately termies cannot take a drop pod, they're too fat for the harnesses, they will be limitted to footslogging or deepstriking. The cyclone has had a bit of a boost to its damage aswell incase they have to footslog and of course you could drop some other models and get a LR, LRC, LRR for them :D

Fast Attack:

Same problem as the termies, unless you are dropping their jump packs. A PowerFist would be a good switch for the sargent or flamers intead of plasma to deal with hordes before a charge.

Also just wondering, do I have to buy a camo cloak for Telion? Can he even get one?

yes and yes :) i hope that answers that one :p
so thats my two :coins:. What opponents will you be facing mostly? that will affect what you take aswell.

EDIT: Damn it you beat me too it *shakes fist menacingly*. and i agree vindicators are yummy :O

Reactions: Penguin_Buddha
#4 ·
I think you should reconsider your scout selection. Dropping more tactical squads will allow you to take and hold objectives. Tactical squads are the back bone of any good drop podding list. Space Marines will deal more damage at close range, than scouts will at any range.

Have you read the drop pod tactica? I ask because you've titled this list as competitive.

Your HQ, he does not fit into this army. Removing his jump pack would help a lot, then he could join any squad who's got a drop pod. But, if your running a competitive list, than volkan is probably your best choice. Followed by a librarian, with shooty and defensive powers.

Now about your tactical squads, you should use multi-meltas instead of missile launchers, range won't be an issue once you land on the enemies door step. Due to the effectiveness of multi-meltas, I would suggest you run at least half your drop podding squads with flamers instead of melta guns, you can handle tanks turn 2, instead of turn 1.

Terminators just aren't very good in 5th, assault cannons aren't all that great, use more tactical squads.

There are a lot of other tweaks you could make to this list to make it more effective. Many of them depend on your HQ.

Cheers,
Forged.

#5 ·
Revised List:

Space Marines [1850]: Swift Strike

HQ:

190 Forgefather Vulkan He'stan

Troops:

230 Tactical Squad: 5 Space Marines, Flamer, Multi-Melta, Power Fist, Drop Pod

230 Tactical Squad: 5 Space Marines, Flamer, Multi-Melta, Power Fist, Drop Pod

240 Tactical Squad: 5 Space Marines, Meltagun, Multi-Melta, Power Fist, Melta Bombs, Drop Pod

165 Scout Squad: Sniper Rifles, Missile Launcher, Teleport Homer, Camo-Cloaks, Sergeant Telion

Elites:

195 Ironclad Dreadnought: Heavy Flamer, Ironclad Assault Launchers, Drop Pod

Fast Attack:

140 Assault Squad: Flamer, Power Fist, Melta Bombs

140 Assault Squad: Flamer, Power Fist, Melta Bombs

Thanks for all the help so far. As for who I usually play against, I.G., however I just want to make a army for all comers, not specific to one.

Once again thanks and please continue the critique!

#6 ·
The Iron clad probably doesn't need the assault launchers. Is it armed with 2 heavy flamers, or a heavy flamer and a melta gun? If it's not either of these, I would change it to become so. Iron clads are a sweet choice, but they aren't has effective as standard dreds. But the fun factor can't be beat.

I still think the scouts are a poor choice, and do little to help your army.

The assault squads will have a difficult time being effective in most games, the melta bomb is wasted with a powerfist. If your going to take assault squads pick up a thunder hammer to take advantage of vulkan.

Peace

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.