Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Nova open is only a few weeks away so I'm trying to finalise my list so I can crack on with the work of putting it together and painting it. I'll be posting updates here and over at servoskull.com if you're interested in my progress.

I've been itching to try pedro for a while and i like the idea of vanilla sternguard to take maximal advantage of their special ammunition. 7th has thrown my list building mojo completely out of whack. Please help!

Here's the list:

Primary Detachment – Crimson Fist Space Marines

HQ
Pedro Kantor

Elite
10 Sternguard riding in a Rhino with a dozerblade. Sergeant carries melta bombs.
10 Sternguard riding in a Rhino with a dozerblade. Sergeant carries melta bombs.

Troops
5 Scouts armed with shotguns riding in a Landspeeder Storm with heavy flamer. Sergeant carries melta bombs.
5 Scouts armed with shotguns riding in a Landspeeder Storm with heavy flamer. Sergeant carries a combi-melta.
Fast Attack
Stormtalon with skyhammer missile launcher.

Heavy Support
5 Devastators carrying 4 lascannons.
1 Thunderfire Cannon

Allied Detachment: Codex Inquisition

HQ
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor with psyocculum, 3 servo skulls, power sword and Liber Heresius

Elite
5 Death Cult Assassins riding in a Razorback with twin-linked assault cannon, dozerblade, and psybolts.

1849 points.

You've probably worked out that I'm not in it to win it. I would rather not look stupid though so let me know how you'd feel if this deployed across the table from you and what would make it worse/better to play against.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
The Nova open is only a few weeks away so I'm trying to finalise my list so I can crack on with the work of putting it together and painting it. I'll be posting updates here and over at servoskull.com if you're interested in my progress.

I've been itching to try pedro for a while and i like the idea of vanilla sternguard to take maximal advantage of their special ammunition. 7th has thrown my list building mojo completely out of whack. Please help!

Here's the list:

Primary Detachment – Crimson Fist Space Marines

HQ
Pedro Kantor

Elite

Troops
5 Scouts armed with shotguns riding in a Landspeeder Storm with heavy flamer. Sergeant carries melta bombs.
5 Scouts armed with shotguns riding in a Landspeeder Storm with heavy flamer. Sergeant carries a combi-melta.
Fast Attack
Stormtalon with skyhammer missile launcher.

Heavy Support
5 Devastators carrying 4 lascannons.
1 Thunderfire Cannon

Allied Detachment: Codex Inquisition

HQ
Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor with psyocculum, 3 servo skulls, power sword and Liber Heresius

Elite
5 Death Cult Assassins riding in a Razorback with twin-linked assault cannon, dozerblade, and psybolts.

1849 points.

You've probably worked out that I'm not in it to win it. I would rather not look stupid though so let me know how you'd feel if this deployed across the table from you and what would make it worse/better to play against.
I am puzzled by the load-out on the Allied detachment. You have a fragile assault unit riding in a non assault vehicle. I don't see a lot of value in it. A shooty unit might serve you better there. Your inquisitor may benefit more from a gun than a power sword.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sternguard don't really need the Melta Bombs. At most I'd give them two Melta Guns and/or two Plasma Guns. Rasily accomplished as, by what Weevil said above me, the allies really don't feel right.
The inquisitor himself could be useful with the skulls though. I'd probably throw him with the Thunderfire or Devastators during deployment, and he doesn't need a Power Sword. Not familiar with the Liber Heresius.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that was quick guys. Thanks for your comments.

The Death Cult Assassins were meant to be a counter charge unit. The plan is broadly that the Sternguard units and DCA rush up the board and disembark. The Sternguard do their thing and the DCA, joined by Pedro, wait to charge something next turn. I figure the 30 Sternguard should be higher on the target priority list than five DCA.

The psyocculum is a fun gimmick. It gives BS10 against units with Psykers in them. The plan here is that she joins either the Thunderfire cannon or the Devastators. To avoid her being useless from time to time (no enemy psykers) the Liber Heresius allows her to grant the unit she joins a special rule each turn. These include scout, split fire and counter-attack.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Counter charge only really works when armies want to charge you (most won't) and the Counter charge unit can actually do other stuff (Assault Centurions have decent firepower and then melee stuff to death).

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Counter charge only really works when armies want to charge you (most won't) and the Counter charge unit can actually do other stuff (Assault Centurions have decent firepower and then melee stuff to death).
Fair comment, but Scout and Split Fire should be pretty useful and the relic isn't too expensive.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Oh don't worry, the Inquisitor wasn't my issue and I'm sure it wasn't anyone else's issue either. Merely the Death Cult Assassins simply don't fit. Definitely points that can go to something else. How much is that group, Razorback and all?

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh don't worry, the Inquisitor wasn't my issue and I'm sure it wasn't anyone else's issue either. Merely the Death Cult Assassins simply don't fit. Definitely points that can go to something else. How much is that group, Razorback and all?
160. I'd looked at Honour Guard instead but couldn't get the same punch for my dollars. You can get 3 HG and the same razorback for 165 points, but the RB is then lacking Pysbolt Ammunition, which is super cool.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
160. I'd looked at Honour Guard instead but couldn't get the same punch for my dollars. You can get 3 HG and the same razorback for 165 points, but the RB is then lacking Pysbolt Ammunition, which is super cool.
I like the psyocculum gimmick. Give the inquisitor a Chimera and some Heavy weapon Servitors and you should be set to take advantage of it. I am of the opinion that Pedro and a unit of Sternguard are their own counter assault unit. Marine statline, plus or minus power weapons rocking 3 attacks each minimum.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I would highly recommend against putting Pedro inside a retinue of Sternguard, as cool as it sounds. It simply won't keep him alive and make him an easier VP.
I had minor luck using him in a Tactical Terminators squad. He's definitely the hardest character to figure out what squad you want him in.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like the psyocculum gimmick. Give the inquisitor a Chimera and some Heavy weapon Servitors and you should be set to take advantage of it. I am of the opinion that Pedro and a unit of Sternguard are their own counter assault unit. Marine statline, plus or minus power weapons rocking 3 attacks each minimum.
I went for the death cult assassins as they are i) I6, ii) cheap and iii) have a decent number of attacks. Of course they don't help with 2+ armour saves, so perhaps I should have another look at that. Weight of attacks doesn't work as well as I'd like against 2+ saves...

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I went for the death cult assassins as they are i) I6, ii) cheap and iii) have a decent number of attacks. Of course they don't help with 2+ armour saves, so perhaps I should have another look at that. Weight of attacks doesn't work as well as I'd like against 2+ saves...
Personally, I think that plasma cannon servitors with a jokeaero weaponsmith (or 2 depending on your budget) would do better vs TEQs than your DCA unit. Your DCA strategy is contingent on a lot of cooperation from your opponent (and the dice) to be effective. Under ideal conditions, you are looking at a turn 3 charge.

1.) The transport needs to get where it's needed, intact.
2.) The unit gets out and waits politely for any incoming shooting.
3.) On your following turn, what's left can then attempt to charge a target.
4.) The charge target takes it's overwatch shooting.
5.) The unit rolls to see if it makes the charge.
6.) If successful, the remains of the unit proceed to CC.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally, I think that plasma cannon servitors with a jokeaero weaponsmith (or 2 depending on your budget) would do better vs TEQs than your DCA unit. Your DCA strategy is contingent on a lot of cooperation from your opponent (and the dice) to be effective. Under ideal conditions, you are looking at a turn 3 charge.

1.) The transport needs to get where it's needed, intact.
2.) The unit gets out and waits politely for any incoming shooting.
3.) On your following turn, what's left can then attempt to charge a target.
4.) The charge target takes it's overwatch shooting.
5.) The unit rolls to see if it makes the charge.
6.) If successful, the remains of the unit proceed to CC.
I could drop the DCA's for another unit of Devs with plasma cannons. They'd be fun if nothing else!

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure how I would feel on Plasma Cannon Devastators; they'd be a better bet overall though than the Assassins.
With the psyocculum they'd be hilarious at BS10 against daemons and grey knights. Rerolling 1s to hit makes 'gets hot!' less of a problem and that amount of correction on misses means you're unlikely to miss with a single template. Of course plasma cannons fall over against armour, but the chapter tactics would help a bit as re-rolls to pen enhance shots against AV11 considerably.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Well you'll definitely face Eldar and Daemons at one point so you'll have that going for you.
I guess go for it and, if it doesn't work out, you know to stock up on more Lascannons for them at 20 points extra for the squad next time around.

·
....coookies...
1,753 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'd definitely like another unit of Las Devastators, it's finding the points for them, without giving up other things I want that's the problem!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
I'd definitely like another unit of Las Devastators, it's finding the points for them, without giving up other things I want that's the problem!
If it makes you feel better, the Feast of Blades Invitational is 1500 points this year.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts