Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey, all. I just got access to the Tyranid codex.. which I've been wanting for ages now. :yes: So, I gave it a quick browse, and came up with this basic list.. I'm looking for not only competitiveness, but for fun and playability, so keep that in mind when you are talking about things. Explain everything fully, as well, if it's alright with you all. ^_^ I have comments in blue.

HQ

[1] Broodlord
+Toxin Sac
+Implant Attack
[9] Genestealers
+Toxin Sac (x9)
+Extended Carapace (x9)
=253 points
When I first saw/heard of the Broodlord, I knew it was for me. Definitely awesome, much cooler than a Tyrant IMO. I gave them Toxin Sacs to wound easier, and I gave the Lord the Implant Attack for when he faces off against enemy IC's.. ensuring a first-round kill, hopefully. No Carapace for him, though, because most of his enemies will either die in the first charge, or, have power weapons anyways.. shooting, he is guarded by his retinue.

Section Total: 253 points

Troops

[10] Genestealers
+Toxin Sac (x10)
+Extended Carapace (x10)
=230 points

[10] Genestealers
+Toxin Sac (x10)
+Extended Carapace (x10)
=230 points

[10] Genestealers
+Toxin Sac (x10)
+Extended Carapace (x10)
-230 points
Like the Broodlord, I love Genestealers in general. Wicked cool, and very effective.

[14] Spinegaunts
=64 points

[14] Spinegaunts
=64 points

[14] Spinegaunts
=64 points
These guys are not meant to be effective - they are meant to rush out and tie up the enemy's main shooting units so that the Genestealers can use the LOS-blocking CC and the tied up-ness to avoid the shooting and get into CC safely.

Section Total: 882 points

Fast Attack

[3] Warriors
+Winged (x3)
+Rending Claws (x3)
+Scything Talons (x3)
=114 points

[3] Warriors
+Winged (x3)
+Scything Talons (x3)
+Devourers (x3)
=111 points

Section Total: 225 points

Heavy Support

[1] Carnifex
+Twin-Linked Venom Cannon
+Enhanced Senses
=163 points

[1] Carnifex
+Enhanced Senses
=163 points

[1] Carnifex
+Enhanced Senses
=163points
The main anti-tank shooters, these three - Enhanced Senses to make them all the more accurate.

Section Total: 489

Total Points: 1849
Total Models: 85

Well, that's it. I hope my math isn't off... if it is, please correct me! I stopped mid-army list to talk on the phone for awhile, so, my math might be off. I also had to scrunch last minute as I realised I wanted the Venom Cannons on my Carnifexes... so..

Criticism appreciated!

edit: And, of course, as it's my first time... I completely neglected the idea of Synapse... which is a no-no. I need something to run up with those Gaunts and make sure they don't fall back! Eek..

edit2: Fixed!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
The Love Muffin
1,830 Posts
Lost Nemesis said:
[1] Broodlord
+Toxin Sac
+Implant Attack
[9] Genestealers
+Toxin Sac (x9)
+Extended Carapace (x9)
=253 points
- Very nice, you might want a smaller retinue so they are easier to move around terrain when you infiltrate.

Lost Nemesis said:
[10] Genestealers
+Toxin Sac (x10)
+Extended Carapace (x10)
=230 points

[10] Genestealers
+Toxin Sac (x10)
+Extended Carapace (x10)
=230 points

[10] Genestealers
+Toxin Sac (x10)
+Extended Carapace (x10)
-230 points
-Toxin sacs aren't vitale, I'd rather use flesh hooks or better yet, feeder tendrils.

Lost Nemesis said:
[22] Spinegaunts
+Adrenal Glands (I)
=110 points

[22] Spinegaunts
+Adrenal Glands (I)
=110 points

[22] Spinegaunts
+Adrenal Glands (I)
=110 points
-These units are way to big, 2 units of 16 would be fine enough.
-Adrenal glands are a waste, these guys are meant to die.
-Where are the hormagaunts?!

Lost Nemesis said:
[1] Carnifex
+Enhanced Senses
+Reinforced Chitin
=178 points

[1] Carnifex
+Enhanced Senses
+Reinforced Chitin
=178 points

[1] Carnifex
+Enhanced Senses
+Reinforced Chitin
=178 points
-178 points for 2 shots?!?!?
-Better yet, give one or two (three is over kill), venon cannon/barbed strangler combos.
-Extended carapace is the most effective defensive deterant the fex has.

Decent start, I think you are focusing on certain aspects the wrong way. If you want a hoarde, you don't need that many models. Warriors are a must for primary synapse, secondary through zoanthropes. Your carnifexes have a lot of fire power, but there are other kinds of fire power: vc/bs or 2x TL devourers also work well.

You have the right idea, just consider different, more cost effective options. :-D

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I switched up the Gaunts a little bit, and added in Warriors...

With such a high WS, is Preferred Enemy worth it for those Stealers? ... At all? I don't see how.

I don't plan on Infiltrating the Broodlord all that often - he'd be a lot more safe running around with the other 'Stealers, hugging cover until the Gaunts lock the enemy into CC.

And yeah, 178 points might seem a lot... but, that's two, twin-linked, S10 shots each. And the 178 points isn't just paying for the shots - they are scoring units, scary even in CC, and they can take a lot of hits with that many wounds each. That's why they're 178 points. I need them as my main anti-tank, and at this level I'm expecting things like Monoliths and Land Raiders, or lots of Rhinos, etc. etc.

Check out the editted version?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
The list looks pretty good to me. The problem is I don't know whats providing synapse for your gaunts.

Im assuming its your warriors. If it is, take off wings and give them leaping. It will save 36 points and they will still be able to keep up with the gaunts.

With this 36 pts you have some options.
-Flesh hooks to your Broodlord and retinue.
-Maybe add another Genestealer or 2.
-Toxin Sacs on Warriors; maybe some other assorted Biomorphs
-Feeder Tendrils/Flesh hooks on Genestealers
-Etc.

Ben

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
IAmAngel said:
The list looks pretty good to me. The problem is I don't know whats providing synapse for your gaunts.

Im assuming its your warriors. If it is, take off wings and give them leaping. It will save 36 points and they will still be able to keep up with the gaunts.

With this 36 pts you have some options.
-Flesh hooks to your Broodlord and retinue.
-Maybe add another Genestealer or 2.
-Toxin Sacs on Warriors; maybe some other assorted Biomorphs
-Feeder Tendrils/Flesh hooks on Genestealers
-Etc.

Ben
Well, the Gaunts have Fleet... which will make them outrun the Warriors without the Wings. Leaping doesn't give the Warriors Fleet. So, the Wings are, essentially, there to have them keep up with them.

Not to mention, they are the fastest element of the army - they will be able to get to where I need them to get to, and relatively quickly.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Well, the Gaunts have Fleet... which will make them outrun the Warriors without the Wings. Leaping doesn't give the Warriors Fleet. So, the Wings are, essentially, there to have them keep up with them.
Ahh I forgot. For some reason I thought Leaping gave them FoC. I need to read my Tyranid codex again :tongue:

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Now with STFU flames!
5,917 Posts
Lost Nemesis said:
Winged warriors are too fragile to be your only source of Synapse. Nearly every single army has a basic weapon that will cut them down. While 12 wounds will be tough to take out in a single round, it won't be hard to put a huge hole in your Synapse line.

The thing is with Synapse that you only need one model in range of the Synapse creature in order for the entire unit to recieve the benefit. Gaunt broods are run in more of a vertical line instead of a horizontal that you see other assault armies. For instance - you see World Eaters armies that run their units in more of a loose oval. Tyranids will instead run a trail of gaunts up the battlefield. This way they can get enough models into Close Combat and lock enemy units, but still have models in the unit close enough to Synapse to keep them fearless.

This is why Leaping Warriors are more common than Winged. They're much more durable since they can take Extended Carapace, and they're quite a bit cheaper.

Sheesh, I hope that all made sense. It's a pretty easy thing to understand once you've seen it played, and it is vital for Tyranid swarms to learn if they plan on using gaunts.

I'm not trying to talk you out of Winged Warriors, more just trying to explain why Leaping and walking Warriors are more common.

Lost Nemesis said:
With such a high WS, is Preferred Enemy worth it for those Stealers? ... At all? I don't see how.
No. It is not. The only thing you ever really have to worry about out classing them in Close Combat is Dark Eldar Wyches.

·
LO's Shadow Captain
12,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
453 Posts
The genestealers become mightily expensive with toxin sacs, since they have rending claws I never give them anything but extended carapace.

As for the whole winged vs leaping warrior thing, Caluin pretty much said it all.
If its mobile synapse you want, I suggest a winged tyrant instead, a lot more durability although he will run you about 200pts. Thing is though, since you're not running hormagaunts, you wont really need mobile synapse...

As for the Carnifexes, you're paying a lot of points for twinlinked shots. Personally I use the Barbed Strangler + Venom cannon combo instead, its 15pts cheaper and while you wont get rerolls you do get an aditional shot. There's also some really good things about the strangler, it can cause penetrating hits and its a template weapon, making it great against both vehicles and horde infantry.

I'd also consider some lifeprolonging upgrades, since these are your only big guns.
My favorite being the Bonded Exoskeleton + Reinforced Chitin combo, its very hard to bring down a Fex with T7 and W5.

·
Registered
574 Posts
you might want to change up one or a couple of your HS fexs to something like this:
Canifex @188
Venom Cannon
Barbed Strangler
Enhanced Senses
Extended Carapace
Renenforced Chitin

this is my favorite combo for a shooty fex.

·
The Love Muffin
1,830 Posts
I agree with Caluin, you're only source of synapse has 5+ saves, which won't last long.

I'd drop one fex and turn all your warriors into walking/shooty warriors.

Other than that, your list looks much better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts