Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one was a straight 1850 game, not 1863 like the Eldar match. And sorry, no pic's... :/

My list:
HQ:
Deceiver
Lord - Orb & Veil

Elites:
6 Immortals
5 Immortals
5 Immortals

Troops:
10 Warriors
10 Warriors

Fast Attack:
3 Destroyers
3 Destroyers

Heavy Support:
Monolith

Chaos List: (I'm not completely positive on all upgrades & such)
HQ:
Kharn the Betrayer (rides with zerkers in the LR)
Daemon Prince - Mark of Khorne, Wings

Elites:
10 Possessed, Champion, Icon of Khorne
- Rhino
10 Possessed, Champion, Icon of Khorne
- Rhino

Troops:
9 Berzerkers, Champion with PFist (ride with Kharn in LR)
10 Berzerkers, Champion with PFist
- Rhino
8 Berzerkers, Champion with PFist (?)

Heavy Support:
Land Raider

Pre-Game Assessment:
No lash, all right!! No pie plates, either - so I had basically free reign to deploy how I wanted to. The center of my DZ was fairly clear, leaving me a large space in which to set up a big firing lane. My plan was (if I got first turn), to advance the immortals to mess with his transports, then just back up and shoot as he approached. If he got the first turn, just back up the immortals and shoot from the get go. Warriors would already be back a bit, since they couldn't do anything on top of 1 anyway.

Mission: Take & Hold, Gamma
(All left/right descriptions will be based off of my board edge)

Deployment:
I put the Monolith out of sight of the land raider (only ranged weapon that could hurt it), the destroyers were off to one side, and everything else in the center of my DZ. All squads were in tight circles (pie-plate dream targets), with a few inches apart from each one. ROVOD lord was in the center providing coverage in case anything went horribly wrong. The big D took point in front of my army.

He had one zerker squad in a rhino on the left corner, the foot-slogging zerkers on the center-right flank, both possessed and the LR in the center of his DZ. The prince was behind the LR. Everyone started outside the rhinos, but the zerkers & kharn started inside the LR. Both possessed rolled FNP. Could have been worse (power weapons), but could have been better.

I got lucky again and won the first turn in this game, as well as the eldar one.

Necron Turn 1:
The warriors stayed put and prepared to shoot anything that advanced next turn. Immortals moved forward to shoot transports, as did Destroyers on the flank.

Two immortal squads shot into the LR, got 2 glances, and a lucky 6. Kharn and them were now entangled (with 2 casualties). The destroyers immobilized & weapon destroyed the far left rhino, and shook one of the possessed rhinos. The deceiver stepped forward, unafraid of the Khornate army.

Chaos Turn 1:
The possessed both embarked and tried to zoom forward. One went 12" and popped smoke, the other tried to zoom 12" through terrain and immobilized itself. They couldn't disembark, either, as they had just embarked. The zerkers on the left (immobilized rhino) and the zerkers on the right (no rhino) both started advancing. Kharn & co were entangled. The Prince flew forward some but was still out of range of assault on turn 2 for anything but the big D.

Necron Turn 2:
The immortals started back-peddling to set up the kill zone, and the big D stayed on point. With the LR destroyed, the Monolith showed its face and prepared to particle whip.

The destroyers shot first and destroyed the rhino that zoomed forward, with the possessed disembarking (entangled) in front to get as close to me as possible - none failed their saves for the destroyed vehicle. The second squad only weapon-destroyed & stunned the second possessed rhino, so no entanglement for them.

The monolith particle whipped Kharn's squad, killing 4.

Everything else opened up into the possessed: 20 warriors (no rapid fire) and 16 immortals. I rolled slightly above average and put around 24 wounds on the squad total. 9 failed armor saves, 9 successful FNP. Well hmph :p

Chaos Turn 2:
The prince flies forward in front of my army now, standing right next to the big D. The other possessed disembark but don't go far with a bad terrain roll. Kharn and the two foot-slogging zerkers advance. The other possessed chill out entangled. No shooting to speak of.

The prince knows better than to charge the big D, as he'd just misdirect.

Necron Turn 3:
After failing to put any wounds on the possessed with shooting, I resolve to use the big D to kill them, as he ignores all saves (including their invulnerable), and bypasses FNP. Sure, they're strength 5, but I swing first - no problem. I just have to kill that daemon prince, as it's the only other thing that can assault me on his next turn. Immortals back up some, warriors move into rapid fire range. Monolith stays put. Destroyers move over to see the DP, too.

It took everything but the lith (and the lord, out of range) to drop the DP - 20 rapid firing warriors, 16 immortals, and 6 destoyers - but he did drop. The monolith tried another particle whip but scattered off target. The big D gave the possessed a shot now.

He charged in and killed 3, leaving 5 to swing back (2 were out of the kill zone). Needing 4's to hit & 6's to wound with 20 attacks, he causes 5 wounds and 3 get past the deceiver's save. Drawn combat - not exactly what I expected! At least they were locked up, though, and wouldn't be assaulting me.

Chaos Turn 3:
The foot sloggers advance, and they are now getting close. The two zerkers squads on the flanks will still be out of charge range next turn, but kharne will be there. The other possessed squad moves forward, too. Kharne shoots his plasma pistol, over heats, but makes his save. Other pistols fail to do anything. The second possessed squad charges the deceiver, and while he knew I'd misdirect, he got a lot of extra movement out of it. So I misdirect towards Kharne but go only 5 inches. The newly charged possessed reach the big D with their consolidate movement and lock him up.

Necron Turn 4:
I have two targets this turn that can assault me if I fail: Kharne & 4 zerkers, and 7 FNP possessed. I'm not so much worried about killing Kharne as the FNP squad, but there's not really much to think about - I just move into optimum rapid firing positions and give it a go. Position wise, the warriors are now just ahead of my DZ for the take & hold objective, the immortals are still pretty far back. The Destroyers are hanging out on one side of my phalanx easily in range of the center with their speed.

Monolith uses the particle whip first and kills 3 of the possessed, making my job much easier. With 2 10-man warrior squads rapid firing, 16 immortals still, and 6 destroyers, I'm able to exactly finish off the last model with the last squad.

The Deceiver kills 2 leaving 4 to swing at me (their consolidate barely touched me) - and luckily enough no wounds this time.

Chaos Turn 4:
The two zerkers advance, both now close enough to assault on turn 5. A few pistol shots that accomplish nada.

The Deceiver misdirects again, but only goes 3 inches this time. The possessed latch back on to him.

Necron Turn 5:
I unload lots of firepower into the left most zerker squad (the 10 man squad), killing all but 3. Torrent of fire failed to kill the champion, too, so the fist is still there as well. I kill 2 of the other zerker squad - not much could see as they were skirting a terrain piece.

In assault, the deceiver kills 3 and doesn't take any wounds in return. There's now only 5 left - I outnumber 2 to 1, but he makes his no retreat save.

Chaos Turn 5:
He assaults with both zerker squads. The larger squad barely reached some immortals (touching only one guy), the other hit hit some warriors. Assault sees two immortals fall to regular blows and I take the one in contact preventing his fist from swinging - they pass their morale check.

The zerker other assault sees one warrior fall to the two regular guys. With the warriors formation, I have 7 to swing back, hitting 6 and wounding 4 times! I torrent of blows the fisty champ and he fails his save - doh! Drawn combat.

The Deceiver doesn't misdirect and instead kills 3 more, taking no more wounds back, and another falls to the no retreat rule, leaving just one left with the deceiver.

Necron Turn 6:
One immortal stands up, one doesn't. The warrior doesn't stand up. The lord veils the immortals out of combat with the two zerkers and the monolith teleports the immortals (with the remaining one standing up). Shooting sees both squads finished off and the big D killed the last zerker. Both warrior squads, the monolith, two destroyer squads, and the teleported 6-man immortal squad are within the center for T&H.

End Result & Post-Game Assessment:
The chaos player had 2 immobilized weaponless rhinos, and ended up putting 3 wounds on the Deceiver and killing 1 warrior. It was a massacre, but it was more of a list mismatch than anything else. Especially with me getting the first turn and killing Kharne's LR plus another rhino on the flank. Then him immobilizing a third rhino going through terrain didn't help matters, either. Not really sure there was much he could have done differently with his composition. Though the game would have most likely been very different had he had a lash of submission or two in there. Lash just beat Necrons in the hands of a smart player.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
Chaos can do just fine without the Lash, though I am not very impressed with the chaos army.

I think the first turn went horribly for Chaos and that set the tone for the entire match.

Nice to see a Necron player using the Deceiver. Seems like everybody just goes straight for the Nightbringer. Also sounds like you had some kind of strategy working for you, whereas the Khorne player's battle plan was "CHARGE!!!"

Good job.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True enough, they can put together tough lists without Lash, but that ability tends to counter the Necron special rules as the necron advantages typically come into play with careful unit placement. Things need to be near other like models, in res orb range, etc. Lash can disrupt that.

And I'm not sure what other strategy he could have used, considering his only non-pistol weapons were the bolters on the rhinos and the land raider.. as you say, the list wasn't very impressive. I was testing out mine for an upcoming tourney, hopefully I can take some notes there to post a report on it.

·
I hate Ultramarines
1,297 Posts
I use a similar Chaos list (chosen and raptors instead of possessed) and I have never had a problem with Necrons, even when i have to go second. The Necron player i come up against uses a much better list than the one you used aswell. So i find it hard to believe the Chaos player lost so badly lol.

My friends list is something like Lord, x2 10 Immortals, x4 10 Warriors, x2 3/4 Destroyers and a Monolith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.