Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey People,
This is a list I created for some tournaments at a local game store. The people who win usually use Orks, Dark Eldar(as many dark lances as possible) or Tyranids. I'm looking for feedback about how my list will fare as well as any ideas for improving. Note that this is the full number of Genestealers that I own. Thanks, Aounfather

Hive Tyrant
Devourer
Venom Cannon
ES EC AD +I AD +WS Toxin Sacs
Toxic Miasma

Hive Tyrant
Toxin Sacs
Implant
2x ST
Wings
Warp Field
AD +I AD +WS
Flesh Hooks
Acid Maw
Toxic Miasma

3 Warriors
AD +I AD +WS Toxin Sacs EC RC ST
Flesh Hooks
Leaping

3 Warriors
Same

6 Genestealers
EC ST Implant

6 genestealers
same

6 Genestealers
same

16 Gaunts
Toxin Sacs
Spinefists

16 Gaunts
Same

16 Spinegaunts
spinefists

Dakkafex
2x devourer
AD +I ES EC

Gunfex
AD+I AD +WS ES EC Flesh Hooks Toxin Sacs Toxic Miasma
Barbed Strangler
Venom Cannon

·
159 Posts
Hive Commander Aounfather

I think in general you have the right idea for your Tyranids. Here are my comments:

1) For your troops choices, you should minimize any biomorphs, and instead go for numbers
If I was your opponent and saw this list, I'd like to see the genestealer and gaunt unit with its upgrades, and either ignore it or try to kill them first. As a Tyranid player, you want to make your opponent confused a bit on what you should kill first. I do think genestealers should have extended carapiece, but the gaunts should have limited upgrades.

2) Consider adding some fast attack choices
Personally I think this is the only visible weakness of the army. At 1850 points, I really want to try to maximize my Force Organization Chart. You seem to agree, considering the set-up of your troops choices. Your best and cheapest choice would be those Raveners with rending claws and scything talons. I'd have anywhere between 1 and 6 (broken up into squads of 1 or 2)

3) Cut down some of the biomorphs on the Carnifexes
One of the easier ways to get those raveners is to cut down on those biomorphs. For the Dakkafex, I'd consider just putting enough points and field it as an Elite's choice. For the Gunfex/Sniperfex, the only biomorphs I'd put (other than the Enhanced Senses) is either Extended Carapiece OR Reinforced Chitin.

4) If you still need points, re-evaluate the Warriors and Tyrants
If push comes to shove you can consider dropping the following biormorphs from the respective units below
  • Shooting Hive Tyrant - Any Adrenal Gland upgrade, Toxic Miasma (I'd also consider adding in the psychic power Shadow of the Warp)
  • Winged Tyrant - Acid Maw
  • Warriors - WS upgrade, Toxin Sacs
Hopefully some of these ideas will help.

·
BANANA!
1,161 Posts
Hive Tyrant
Devourer
Venom Cannon
ES EC AD +I AD +WS Toxin Sacs
Toxic Miasma
I dont like this too much, you don't need the adrenal glands, they are for CC yet your Tyrant is shooty, and the same with the Toxic Miasma.If you want your Tyrant to go into
CC then have 2 twin-linked devourers with wings.

Hive Tyrant
Toxin Sacs
Implant
2x ST
Wings
Warp Field
AD +I AD +WS
Flesh Hooks
Acid Maw
Toxic Miasma
ok, too many upgrades. The Implant attack is one of those upgrades that are not to good on the Hive Tyrant because most of the multi wound guys/monsters are independent characters or just really good guys, and they will tear your Tyrant into little pieces.
I prefer 2 twin linked devourers because you can have 12 st 6 shots with the twin linked devourers that reroll to wound AND hit which is better than 6 pure CC attacks. And again, too many upgrades, so drop a few, I would say the Acid Maw and 1 of the adrenal glands..............
:shifty:

3 Warriors
AD +I AD +WS Toxin Sacs EC RC ST
Flesh Hooks
Leaping

3 Warriors
Same
again, a bit too many upgrades but I cant comment because you can have so many varieties with the warriors.

6 Genestealers
EC ST Implant

6 genestealers
same

6 Genestealers
same
I dont like sything taylons as most wounds made by Genestealers are rendering, and the Implant attack is only if you want them to go character hunting, which is not advised.

16 Gaunts
Toxin Sacs
Spinefists

16 Gaunts
Same
There is no point in having toxin sacs as they usually all die really quickly and so the Toxin sacs just take up points, nothing more. I would say take them of and just get more spine gaunts.

16 Spinegaunts
spinefists
this is great!

Dakkafex
2x devourer
AD +I ES EC
again, adrenal glands are for CC, but your fex is ranged, so take them off.

Gunfex
AD+I AD +WS ES EC Flesh Hooks Toxin Sacs Toxic Miasma
Barbed Strangler
Venom Cannon
Half of these upgrades are not needed, the sniper fex is a ranged monster and if it goes into CC it will get blown up into a million pieces, so take of ALL of the CC upgrades, which is the adrenal glands and Toxic Miasma.
Ok, now this is one of those tricks, having toxin sacs on the sniper fex is useless, because the fex is st 9, the venom cannon is a S + 2 (max ten) so toxin sacs are not needed with this, and the barbed strangler is a S-1 maximum 8 so it is also maxed on its maximum strength without the toxin sacs.

overall you are on the right track

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
New possible list

Hive Tyrant
Toxin Sacs
Enhanced Senses
Twin Linked Devourer
Venom Canon
Extended Carapace
Flesh Hooks
Total 176

Hive Tyrant
Toxin Sacs
Implant Attack
Enhanced Senses
Twin Linked Devourer
Twin Linked Devourer
Winged
Warp Field
Adrenal Glands
Adrenal Glands
Flesh Hooks
Acid Maw
Toxic Miasma
Total 247
Ok this guy is extremely expensive, but at the tournaments I play at he always ends up in cc with other tyrants or carnifexes or weaker independent characters, and summarily rips their heads off. Plus, the enemy usually ignores him for some reason.

2 Tyrant Guard
Lash Whips
Flesh Hooks
Total 92

3 Warriors
Adrenal Glands
Extended Carapace
Flesh Hooks
Rending Claws
Leaping
Scything Talons
Bio Plasma
Total 129

6 Genestealers
Extended Carapace
Scuttlers
Total 138

6 Genestealers
Extended Carapace
Scuttlers
Total 138

6 Genestealers
Extended Carapace
Scuttlers
Total 138

16 Spinegaunts
spinefists

16 spinegaunts
spinefists

16 spinegaunts
spinefists

ravener
Scything Rending
Devourer

Ravener
Scything Rending
Deathspitter

2 Zoanthropes
Synapse
Warp Blast
Total 130

Carinfex
Twin Linked Devourer
Twin Linked Devourer
Enhanced Senses
Extended Carapace
Reinforced Chitin
Total 152

Carnifex
Enhanced Senses
Extended Carapace
Barbed Strangler
Venom Cannon
Reinforced Chitin
Total 193

Ok, Acid Maw, Rienforced Chitin, and Extended Carapace have saved my butt more times than I can count. But I welcome all suggestions as to how I can offset the disadvantage if I don't take them. All other ideas are welcome as well, I don't have any gargoyles and can't afford to buy them anyway but other than that, I'm open.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Despite what I said at the end of the last box (sorry for the double post) I just figured out that if I could drop the EC and Rienforced Chitin on both my Carnies and make my warriors cheaper then I could shoehorn in either an elite Carnie or another squad of warriors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts