Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK This is an attempt to make a Snakebite themed army. I am seriously considering doing this. . . my biggest concern is that this many boyz are gonna seriously hurt in the wallet.

HQ's : 230

Old Zogwort

Wierdboy Warphead

Elites: 225

15 Loota's No Upgrades

Troops: 1250

30 Boyz, Slugga & Choppa, 3 Upgraded to Rokkit Launcha's, Nob with powerfist & bosspole

30 Boyz, Slugga & Choppa, 3 Upgraded to Rokkit Launcha's, Nob with powerfist & bosspole

30 Boyz, Shoota's, 3 Upgraded to Rokkit Launcha's, Nob with powerfist & bosspole

30 Boyz, Shoota's, 3 Upgraded to Rokkit Launcha's, Nob with powerfist & bosspole

Heavy Support: 144

Big Gunz, 2 Kannons, 2 ammo runts

Big Gunz, 2 Kannons, 2 ammo runts, 1 extra crew

Big Gunz, 2 Kannons, 2 ammo runts, 1 extra crew

Grand Total: 1849

Total Models: 187 and 6 "decorative" models

General stratigy: sort of an M formation with slugga boys up front, and the shoota boys staggered behind, one on either flank, and one in the middle. Kannons and loota's set up in cover and with access to firing lanes as best as possable. The wierdboys each join a shoota boy squad on either flank.

Generally try to get as much Waaagh! as possable, particularly in the beginning of the game so that the boyz get into the fight as quick as possable.
Basicly try to overwelm the opponent with numbers. And use a bunch of rokkits( and kannons, deffguns and shoota's) to take out troublesome things as they cross the board.

my two biggest concerns is A) Painting that many boyz B) Not sure I want to spend that much on Boyz.. . .

·
Registered
174 Posts
I gotta say that is a scary list, but I agree that buying/buliding/painting/playing that many boyz would get tedious in the extreme. Personally I would downgrade each mob to twenty boyz and get a sixth mob. This reduces the amount of boyz you need to get by 30 overall and saves you quite a bit of points. You could also drop the rokkits from most of your mobz down to big shootas (as you have more than enough anti-tank without them with both the kannons and the lootas). This will give you some ranged capability to put a dent in the enemy infantry before you charge and will save you a few more points.

If you take the points you saved on the rokkits and the boyz you should be able to pick up a mob of kommandos with two burnaz and snikrot to lead them. This will give your army a good tactical bonus and he should be able to take out the devi's/fish heads/heavy weapons teams/whatever else will cause some serious damage to your army before it gets to your opponent's lines. Alternatively you should have enough points for another large mob of lootas and filling out those kannons if you feel you lack sufficient anti-tank.

Just my two teef.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
Poor Ghaz

Why don't people like Ghazghkull? Why does everyone pick Zogwort over him? Yes, Zogwort randomly gives you extra wauugghhhs, but Ghazghkull gives you one extra definite one, whenever you want it, and it's always a full 6in. Put Ghazghkull in a trukk or battlewagon with some nobz, and you've got a scary force.

Warpheads are nice, but I'd take Ghazghkull instead, if you're serious about slogging.

Also, you need some transports. I'd cut down to 3 units of sloggers at most (all of them shootas), and put 3 teams of sluggas in trukks. I've never seen a pure footslogging army get anywhere in tournaments or serious games. There are just too many ways for your opponent to keep out of reach, no matter how many men you use.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Ghazgkull is Goff, where I don't recall reading Zog being any particular clan he does have a snake motif. So he seems to fit in well in a snakebite army.

I seriously thought of doing some trukks, but they just don't seem very snakebity to me. . . that and I'm a firm believer that you don't just take one or two pieces of armor. Either take so much that you overwelm your opponents ability to take them all out in any timely fasion, or go without and deny your opponent a good target for their anti-armor guns.

Of course the ramshakle rule may well cause trucks to be a viable exception. My concern is they just get blown up and end up slogging it anyway, only now with a small squad size and softer moral.

Reactions: mynameisgrax

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
I seriously thought of doing some trukks, but they just don't seem very snakebity to me. . . that and I'm a firm believer that you don't just take one or two pieces of armor. Either take so much that you overwelm your opponents ability to take them all out in any timely fasion, or go without and deny your opponent a good target for their anti-armor guns.
That's a very good point. At a recent 2000 point tournament, I ran 3 units of trukk boyz, and 2 units of footsloggers, and against opponents using anti-armor/monstrous creature setups, my footsloggers tore them apart.

On the other hand, against opponents who were tooled to fight footsloggers, my transports were the best thing I could use.

The biggest problem I had was against armies like Chaos, that were prepared for either situation. They had plenty of lascannons, and lash kept my two units of footsloggers in line.

All in all, I'm torn. If I'd gone completely one way or the other, they would have been more difficult for my opponents to deal with, but unless I have HQs that provide extra, or maximized Waugghhhhs, I really can't depend on an all-footslogging army making it into close combat, especially against mechanized opponents. In the same way, I've seen plenty of marine and IG setups that get almost a dozen lascannon shots a turn, which will eat up your wagons and trukks, no matter how many you field.

Overall, I'd say you can't depend on a single strategy, regardless of the situation, and that goes for every 40k army you can play. You need to be able to switch your tactics, depending on your opponent, or else you'll do wonderfully against some opponents, and horribly against others. For this reason, I prefer the mechanized route, with lots of trukks. You can always move trukks gradually, moving behind cover to avoid fire, like you would with footsloggers. You can't 'choose' to have the footsloggers move 12in every turn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.