Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I posted a list up here when the codex came out an took it to a couple games to see how it would do. I have since revised the list with what I learned so here goes. Any commentary would be nice and I will put my own after each unit.

HQ
Tyrant
Heavy Venom Cannon
Hive Commander

Tyrant
Heavy Venom Cannon

These guys are primarily anti tank and moral killers for the enemy force. They aren't awesome in CC but they can wipe out infantry and MEQs pretty handily when they get there.

Elites
1 Zoanthrope
1 Zoanthrope

Split into 2 squads becuase I don't want to lose a whole unit to a lucky blast or dev squad. Also allows them to split fire against vehicles. Lance shot usually equals one shot one kill.

Troops

14 Termagaunts
14 Termagaunts

Tervigon
Toxin Sacs
Catalyst

Tervigon
Toxin Sacs
Catalyst

I had a lot more gaunts before but decided that they were uneccessary as the tervigons would just make more. Lost a game because the gaunts were just kill points. Now I will have less but they will still be just as powerfull.

Fast Attack

3 Shrikes
Toxin Sacs
Lash Whip Bone Sword

3 Shrikes
Toxin Sacs
Lash Whip Bone Sword

These guys were the MVPs of a couple of games simply because they make eveyone In 1 and then cause a bunch of nice power weapon wounds. Had Adrenal Glands on them before but decided that they weren't neccessary and that Toxin Sacs would give me better results.

Heavy Support

Trygon
Prime
Adrenal Glands
Toxin Sacs

Trygon
Adrenal Glands

They're just so darn pretty! And they make the enemy rethink their whole game plan when they show up together for some tank/squad killing. No bad unit to throw these at really.

Basic strategy is that the Tervigons and gaunts move up the center. Alternately camping objectives and making more gaunts. The Shrikes hug cover as best they can and then attack troops/elites choices. Their job is to kill pesky sterngaurd/terminators/aspect warriors/HQ squads etc. The Trygons show up and sow death and discord while the Tyrants and Zoanthropes go tank hunting.

Ok so tell me what you think.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
you need abit more anti-tank, i would suggest hive guard for this in squads of 2.

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
Trygon
Prime
Adrenal Glands
Toxin Sacs
No. Toxin sacs is a waste on a trygon. With it he's wounding on 4's w/re-rolls as opposed to 2's normally.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm... perhaps you are right. By dropping the second tyrant and the toxin sacs I can fit in another 2X2 squads of Hive Guard to really stick it to those rhinos and drop pods, or even land raiders and monoliths if those are the only options.

So the new list would look like this.

Hive Tyrant
Hive Commander
HVC

2 Hive Guard
2 Hive Gaurd
2 Zoanthropes

Tervigon
Toxin Sacs
Catalyst

Tervigon
Toxin Sacs
Catalyst

15 Termagaunts
14 Termagaunts

3 Shrikes
Lash Whip Bone Sword
Toxin Sacs

3 Shrikes
Lash Whip Bone Sword
Toxin Sacs

Trygon Prime
Adrenal Glands

Trygon
Adrenal Glands

Hows this look?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Quick question. I just got the new book yesterday so I havent had a chance to check everything but dosen't the Tervigon count as a HQ choice?

·
Hive Fleet Pandora
5,068 Posts
He could both either a HQ or a Troop choice (but not both). The only stipulation is that for every troop Tervigon, you also need a unit of termagaunts.

@aounfather

It looks pretty competitive. Deepstrike both trygons and shrikes and outflank a tervigon. 3 TMC's and the 2 shrikes should put a lot of pressure on opponent. Just hopefully at least 3 of the 5 units come in on the same turn (and hopefully they include the trygons).

Reactions: aounfather

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never thought of outflanking with a tervigon. Now that you mention it I see the possibilities of a scoring unit that makes other scoring units coming on from the flank. I'll have to try that out. As for DSing the Shrikes I actually find them better served starting on the table and hugging cover. They are too fragile to trust a DS roll not to get them in hot water when they show up. And the Hive Commander ability will hopefully allow my Trygons to come on at the same time.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
i would turn the hive tyrant into a flyrant so he can use his paryxosm powers to full effect and help your Srikes hit harder. Even devestators will hate you and termiantors when you turn their WS and BS to 1 :).
thanks
antique_nova

1 - 8 of 8 Posts