Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the weekend, I played in a small-scale (9 participants) tournament. I, of course, played my Necrons, and decided to change it up and play a 'standard' fast-shooting Necron list. This is a change for me, because I've spend most of my time working with the Deceiver lately.

My List was thus:

HQ
- Necron Lord: Veil of Darkness
- Necron Lord: Resurrection Orb (Footslogging with Warriors)
Elites
- Immortals (x7) (part of the Flying Circus)
Troops
- Warriors (x15)
- Warriors (x15)
- Warriors (x10) (Held in Reserve)
Fast Attack
- Destroyers (x3)
- Destroyers (x3)
- Scarab Swarms (x8)
Heavy Support
- Monolith (Deep Striking)

My first-round opponent was a Mechanized Tau list, with quite a few Battlesuits. It was a strange game, with both of us hopping around all over the battlefield. Knocking down the Tau skimmers was very difficult for me, and the Orb made it difficult for the Tau to keep the Necron Warriors down. Every time the Tau would emerge from their Warfishes, the Destroyers and the Flying Circus would descend upon them, pouring fire until they got back into their transports. The Battlesuits were a particular pain to deal with, so I let the Scarabs tie them up until the Monolith was able to drop in and lay a few Templates down. The Monolith didn't show up until turn five, though. Eventually, the Warriors got the Tau corralled and the Tau were subsequently Gauss'ed to death.
I think the Tau player could have beaten me had he been more aggressive in his play and more decisive with his firing solutions. He split his fire up and on two occasions didn't manage to permanently kill anyone.

My second-round opponent was a very large horde of foot-slogging Orks. As you can imagine, this was a particularly simple win because of the time it took for the Orks to even get to my line.
Orks moved up, Warriors moved up, Destroyers laid fire into them.
Orks moved up, Warriors moved up, Destroyers laid more fire into the Orks, and the Flying Circus popped up behind the Orks. Now the Orks were faced with a decision to address the Circus or keep attempting to take out the Warriors and win via Phase-Out.
Orks moved up, Warriors moved up, Destroyers laid even more fire into the Orks, and now the Monolith arrived and brought even more Warriors still.
The Ork player decided to keep his Horde intact, because he was ready to charge in the upcoming turn. The Scarabs beat him to the punch by charging into them while the Warriors subsequently moved away from the Ork Horde.
That wasn't a battle, it was a slaughter.

FINAL ROUND
No tournament would be complete without facing any Space Marines and surely enough, my final-round opponent was a Lysander-wing. If ever there was a list made to kill Necrons, the insipid Lysander-wing is it. (On an aside, I love the Fists. I love their colors, their fluff, and their straight-laced nature; which is why I hate it so much moreso that every single Fists list I see is the predictable and pedantic Lysander-wing. ...bloody power-gamers...OK. rant over.)

Upon Deployment, I decided to spread my units out as much as possible, so that his twenty-or-so Terminators would either have to slog all over the place, or themselves be split up. Fortunately for me, there were very few Fists on the board to begin with, so I could keep myself pretty well in formation before the Terminators Teleported onto the field. Before the Monolith or the Terminators showed up, I sent the Flying Circus and the Destroyers out to deal with his Scout Squads and single Tactical Squad. Everything else went for cover. There was no problem. The Fists brought a Whirlwind, but it did little in the face of the Necrons' toughness. (Although I heard that it chewed through a Eldar list quite effectively)

By turn three, the Terminators still hadn't showed up, but the Monolith did. I decided to Deep Strike it in my own Deployment area, where I figured the Terminators would like to Deep Strike. Subsequently, the Terminators showed up, but were forced to divide themselves to deal with the scattered Necron forces. Both Destroyer Squads were killed that round by combined fire and one Warrior squad (the one not covered by the Orb) was badly hurt.
One Assault Terminators Squad attacked the Monolith to make sure the Reserve Warriors did not show up, but they failed to destroy the Monolith. A two A-Cannon team was tied up by Scarabs who were, surprisingly, able to kill three of the Terminators on the charge. The Next turn, the Monolith popped, but not before Portal'ing the last of the Warriors.

By turn five, I knew I was not close to Phase-out, but was behind on VPs, so I tried something risky...and by 'risky', I mean 'stupid': I had the Flying Circus, and the Lord with the Orb (and his remaining Warriors) charge a two-AC squad. The two Staves of Light made quick work of half the Squad, but the Terminators hit back hard, taking down most of the Immortals. Every other Warrior moved as fast as possible away from the Terminators, to prevent win by Phase-Out.

The next turn, three Immortals returned and I used the Veil of Darkness to Teleport both Lords into Staff shooting range of an Assault Terminator Squad led by a Terminator Chaplain. (Yeah, I know, dumb.) Some good shooting killed three Terminators, but the Chaplain and two more Terminators were ready to charge...and did. The Veil Lord was killed, but the Orb Lord lived.

I elected to go for a seventh turn, per Imperial Fist rules, and rolled to get it. On the seventh turn, the Veil Lord got back up, the two Lords teleported away and fired into the Assault Terminators again, this time killing all but the Chaplain. The was then tied up by my remaining Scarabs and the game ended there, with an extremely narrow win by VP on my part.

Hooray for me. :party2:

In addition to the win, I got Best Sportsman. I would have received Best Painted Army as well, if I didn't stick with the Codex color scheme. Painting precision and careful weathering isn't as exciting as a wildly painted Biel-Tan Eldar force. (Sour Grapes on me.)

So, yeah, the list: Very fast, very hard-hitting, but has significant trouble with Invulnerable saves. The downsides: it's a little boring, and a little predictable.

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, the Scarabs were definitely my mechanical automaton MVPs.

The moment of the Tournament for me was when two Necron Lords charged a Chaplain-assisted Assault Terminator squad. My opponent got this great look on his face when it dawned on him a split second later that he wasn't going to get his charging bonuses or anything, and was instead now fighting for his life.

It felt good to hear the grumbling of Necrons being too powerful. I hadn't heard that in a while.

·
for good and for awesome!
1,492 Posts
Yeah, the Scarabs were definitely my mechanical automaton MVPs.

The moment of the Tournament for me was when two Necron Lords charged a Chaplain-assisted Assault Terminator squad. My opponent got this great look on his face when it dawned on him a split second later that he wasn't going to get his charging bonuses or anything, and was instead now fighting for his life.

It felt good to hear the grumbling of Necrons being too powerful. I hadn't heard that in a while.
Pft! You brought a list that was far from overpowered from an army that has quite a few flaws. Double grats!

·
The Pacifist Wargamer
1,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, totally. I know the list wasn't perfect, though it was pretty darn effective.

The grumbling, though, took me back to 2003, when Space Marine players would watch the Necrons pick themselves up and then they would declare that the Necrons were "b0rken, utter cheese, n00b-army, etc etc."

Once, of course, they realized that the 'Crons had strengths and flaws like any other, they shut up.

I had considered dropping the Monolith in favor of more Warriors, Destroyers and adding some Heavy Destroyers. The Mono wasn't super-effective in any of my games, except in terms of area-denial. But, I had just finished painting this one, so I decided to give it a whirl and see if I painted any luck into it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.