Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my list of the army I´m currently working on. I´m gonna use it against all kinds of armies but when I made it I did have my hatred for tyranids in the back of my mind. ^_^ When designing this list I wanted to mix fun choices with usefulness, please keep this in mind, I dont want one of those lists that look like every other "powergaming" marine list

I don´t really want to change too much in this list (except if it sucks too much of course), what I´d like from you is to give advice on what to think about when facing different opponents, both nids and others, and what you think is its weak/strong parts. But changes to the list is also welcome.

Now on for some basic tactics I´m gonna use with this list:

Infiltrators will either infiltrate deep in to get to the opponent fast, or close to the firebase to provide a counter assault element. Why did I give my hth scouts a heavy weapon may somebody ask. The reason is that if used as counter assault they will be standing still waiting for tha assault (if positioned right) and thus a heavy bolter will be useful. Also against some fast assaulty armies I´m gonna deploy them a bit up on the board on a flank in cover, when the opponent rushes against me he has to decide to split his force to deal with my scouts, effectively slowing him down, or ignoring them, to recieve a charge in the back. Standing there in cover they will be used as shooty, rapid fireing and receiving the charge having two attacks and I 10.

My land speeders will mainly support my infiltrators but can change role if needed, eg tank hunting, deep striking to take out heavy weapon teams, supporting my firebase etc.

Tac sq 2 and 3, devastators, pred and dread all make up my firebase.

Tac sq 1 and TWV´s will use their rhinos to get where they are wanted and disembark as fast as possible to avoid getting trapped/pinned. These will be my main forward pushing units.

HQ:

Captain: bp, combat shield, power w, frags, infiltrate 90pts.

Command sq [8] 230pts.
- serg: term honours, bp, thunder hammer
- 1 flamer
- 1 meltagun
- 1 apothecary
- 4 bp/ccw
all infiltrate

ELITE:

Tyrannic war veterans [10] 279pts.
- serg: term honours, combiw bolter/flamer, lightning claw
- 1 flamer
- 1 heavy bolter
- 7 bolters
Rhino: smoke, extra armour

Venerabel Dreadnought: twin las, missile launcher, extra armour, tank hunter 170pts.

TROOPS:

Tactical sq [10] 248pts.
- serg: term honours, bp, power fist
- 1 meltagun
- 8 bolters
Rhino: smoke, extra armour

Tactical sq [6] 110pts.
- serg: bolter
- 1 missile launcher
- 1 plasmagun
- 3 bolters

Tactical sq [6] 110pts.
- 1 missile launcher
- 1 plasmagun
- 3 bolters

Scout sq [8] 137pts.
- serg: term honours, bp, power fist
- 1 heavy bolter
- 6 bp/ccw

FAST:

Land speeder tornado: heavy bolter, assault cannon 80pts.

Land speeder tornado: heavy bolter, assault cannon 80pts.

HEAVY:

Devastator sq [8] 180pts.
- 4 heavy bolters
- 3 bolters

Predator Annihilator: heavy bolter sponsons, extra armour, searchlight 136pts.

Total: 1850pts.

58 troopers
6 vehicles

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nice! It looks like it would be a lot of fun to play with. I dunno about infiltrating a juicy HQ too close to the bad guys, but it could pay off...
I also put a HW in with CC scouts. A missile launcher on the flank makes them hard to ignore, or modifies the opponents movement plans. Just a thought, but there are a lot of points in the Dready. Aother tank would be more effective (but probably not as fun).

RoV

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
That is an incrediably solid list, the only thing I would do is make your captain by giving him an iron halo over a combat shield, it will keep him around a lot longer and make him that bit tougher to kill.

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
You need more anti tank,

Your list is pretty... disorganised

There doesnt seem to be much focus in your squads, with the except of the speeders and devs.

I like everything but your infantry, again with the exceptoin of the devs.

Your tac squads would be a lot better with Lascannons, that way they can punch through carfex armour, and decked out hive tyrants.

Flamers wont do you any good on unit that moves 6" Nids have fleet of claw, and will just assault you before you can use it.

Your HQ could use termintor honours.

Tactics: Well, sit and shoot, if there are objectives, infiltrate to them. Use landspeeders to capture table quaters, or other things which landspeeders are allowed to capture.
Your preditor could also advance, allowing further table quater taking.

Against nids, in a cleanse mission, you could set your command squad up in a forward postion in a uncontroled table quater. Make it the closest unit to the nids.

Start your landspeeders and preditor on the oponsit end of the table, about 24" away.

do basically the same with the rest of your army, deploy them as far to away from your command squad inside your table quarter, withen reason .

The nids will naturally go to the closest unit.

Once they move, to withen 1 turn of charge range: IE next turn they will charge you, swing your preditor and landspeeders up that side of the table, while you fall back with your command squad.

Target the lead squad and destory it.

Repeat as nessisary, in this way, you contest 1 table quarter, hold 1 table quarter, and there is no pressence of the enemy in your own table quarter.

Good luck...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I also was thinking about the dread being a bit pricey and about putting an iron halo on my captain. But with the benefits you get from a dread compared to another tank (tank hunter, deployed late, cooler model) I chose the dread, and I wanted to keep my captain cheap. Also in my hq, I expect more from my thammer wielding serg than my captain. Another thing is that i got some inspiration for my hq from the movie troy, the captain being Akilles and the serg being Ajax.

Also thanks for the advice on the tactics against nids, looks like a really good one too, I definitely have to try that one, even if it feels a little hard to use my hq as a decoy. But hey, if it works, right? Since the list is for taking on every opponent I do think the flamer in my hq is gonna get used. And I wanted to give my captain term honour, but couldnt find the points for it.

I know about the lascannons, I probably should do it, but everyone and their grandma has at least two six man las/plas squads in their list, so I wanted to try something else, plus I feel that missile launchers add more flexibility than lascannons.

Maybe my list seem a bit disorganised because its not the usual list, but to me theres really a theme to every unit. But if theres more of you more experienced gamers that feel the same maybe I have to change a thing or two.

Thanks again for the comments and please keep em coming.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I´m bumping this one up and also asking a question.

Do you think I need more anti tank or is my mix of lascannons, meltas, ass cannons and missile launchers enough?

·
Slave to the flesh
3,354 Posts
You shouldn't bump really but...

As for the anti tank, you are light. The cheapest way to do this is to switch the heavy bolters on the devastators for missile launchers, that gives you rather a lot of S8 shots per turn and you can also frag swarms, the missile launcher is such a versatile weapon.

I like the predator config. I think its is versatile enough to do some damage to everything, swarms aren't too much of a problem and a TLLC will cetasinly make tanks and MC tread carefully.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I personally use the 6-man plasmagun+missile launcher myself. It's nice, because if you move, you do not lose as many points by doing so. However, giving these two squads plasmagun+heavy Bolter is cheaper, and you can move around for almost no point loss. And then you already have earned the points to upgrade the heavy bolters in you devastators to Missile Laucnehrs, which would be effectiver against both nids as vehicles, since you do not have to waste the plasma gun shots in the tacticals.

my two coins.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I would add or remove a marine from the command squad since you presently have a unit 9 men strong which is bad for victory points. You can free up some points or use the extra points on your CC HQ.

I like the TWV's, very Ultramariney. As for anti tank...ever consider the multimelta LS? Might be what you need.

cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments and sorry for bumping, I thought it was ok to do one or two times..

I proxy-played against IG and it didnt go bad at all. All my anti-infantry really shredded his troops to pieces and then I could concentrate on his tanks. My pred drew a lot of fire from him wich made it possible for me to get close and personal with my rhinos and I popped a russ with my meltagun. It was a draw, but I consider that a victory since I havent really got to know the list yet. I think Im gonna keep the list as it is for now (although changing my devs heavy bolters for missile launchers would probably have given me a victory) much because I cant really find the points needed.

Anyways, how is it about command squads and IC´s? Does the IC count as a part of the squad for victory points and scoring unit? Its not that I distrust you white_consulate, but Ive heard both ways. Anybody who can clear that up? Maybe by refering to a page?

·
Registered
822 Posts
A command Squad with an Attached IC counts toghether for Victory Points.
A unit JOINED by an IC (which means he can leave the unit) is not rated togheter for victory points.

Again I gave you an advice to get the points done.
Swap your 2 Missile Launcher tacticals with 2 Heavy Bolter Devastators. I though the points would be the same, but you can do the math. Maybe drop a marine or upgrade somewhere to get the last points freed up. I really advise that to do, because then your devastators can shoot full frag missiles or full krak missiles and focus on what they want, while your two Tacticals focus on troops with a total of 8 bolters, 2 heavy bolters and 2 plasmaguns.

Good Luck,
Wulfbanes

·
Registered
335 Posts
I jsut finnished asking this on the SM page yesterday, loose a guy and you can play with the missile dev situation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts