Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This saturday I will be playing in a 50 man 1863pt tournament. One of the criteria (if you want to be able to seriously compete) is all models be painted. As such, please keep that in mind as I have, as of yesterday, gotten everything on the list painted. So please make an suggestions easy to paint.

Archon agonizer, p.weapon, t.helm, trophy rack, C.drugs, s.field, g.talisman, p.nades, reaver jetbike

Haemonculi scissorhand, destructor, g.talisman, p.nades and h.nades, WWP

3x 7 wyches w.weapons + 1 succubus agonizer, p.nades, trophy rack
raider nightshields

5 warp beasts + beastmaster

8 man raider squad SC, Blaster + 1 Sybarite agonizer, p.nades
Raider

10 warriors x2DL

9 warriors x2DL + 1 Sybarite nightmare doll

14 warriors x2SC, x2blasters + 1 Sybarite agonizer, p.nades, trophy rack, WWP

Talos

Ravager x2 dissie, 1 DL, nightshields

comments?

·
Registered
225 Posts
This saturday I will be playing in a 50 man 1863pt tournament. One of the criteria (if you want to be able to seriously compete) is all models be painted. As such, please keep that in mind as I have, as of yesterday, gotten everything on the list painted. So please make an suggestions easy to paint.
1863 o_O what a strange point value. Also, what is considered "painted"? Is it the standard three colors rule or something else?

Archon agonizer, p.weapon, t.helm, trophy rack, C.drugs, s.field, g.talisman, p.nades, reaver jetbike
Wait a sec... you gave him a Tormentor Helm, a Power weapon, AND an agonizer? Yes, it gives you more flexibility but it is a waste of points. Also you are WELL over the 100pts of wargear limit even if you don't count weapons.

Haemonculi scissorhand, destructor, g.talisman, p.nades and h.nades, WWP
Pretty basic setup although I suggest you drop the heywire grenades since you wouldn't want him anywhere near a vehicle anyway. If you have extra points left over then keep it.

3x 7 wyches w.weapons + 1 succubus agonizer, p.nades, trophy rack
raider nightshields

5 warp beasts + beastmaster
Does your whole unit have plasma grenades or just the succubus? If the latter you should REALLY give them the plasma grenades. Your best chance at killing the enemy is to strike first and without grenades you'll have a problem there. Also you might want to consider dropping the Night Shields for more models if you can. The raider will be right up close to the enemy most of the time so the Night Shield will only be useful (maybe) turn 1 (in which case you are better off hiding it behind terrain anyway).

8 man raider squad SC, Blaster + 1 Sybarite agonizer, p.nades
Raider
A little awkward for a unit. Assault units you generally want as big as possible for out numbering purposes (because you aren't going to be killing much any other way). Shooting units you generally want as small as possible to save points. Decide which is more important in the unit and add/subtract models accordingly.

10 warriors x2DL

9 warriors x2DL + 1 Sybarite nightmare doll
The first one is fine and the only problem with the second is the nightmare doll. The reason is that we care more about who goes first rather then which side we get. Also most tournaments make both sides of the map fairly equal and so it matters even less. In summary: The Nightmare doll is poop.

14 warriors x2SC, x2blasters + 1 Sybarite agonizer, p.nades, trophy rack, WWP
Talos

Ravager x2 dissie, 1 DL, nightshields
Everyone loves talos :3 The ravager looks good but, again, I'm not the biggest fan of night shields.

General Comments:

I suggest you fit another haemonculi in (since you can take multiple as a single HQ choice and they act independently) and move the WWP from the sybarite on to it. Independent characters are great for WWP carriers since they can't be targeted unless they are the nearest to the unit firing. As it stands now, the sybarite squad is vulnerable to things like Lash of Submission which will pull them forward and get them locked in assault where they can't use the portal. Then you are left with a single portal left.

·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
1863 o_O what a strange point value. Also, what is considered "painted"? Is it the standard three colors rule or something else?

The event is the Battle for Stones River (a civil war battle that happened in the area) that was fought in 1863. And 3 colors is what counts, but mine are all painted, detailed and based.

Wait a sec... you gave him a Tormentor Helm, a Power weapon, AND an agonizer? Yes, it gives you more flexibility but it is a waste of points. Also you are WELL over the 100pts of wargear limit even if you don't count weapons.

actually im just 1-2 points under the limit, and he has almost always managed to get his points back and way more.

Pretty basic setup although I suggest you drop the heywire grenades since you wouldn't want him anywhere near a vehicle anyway. If you have extra points left over then keep it.

Does your whole unit have plasma grenades or just the succubus? If the latter you should REALLY give them the plasma grenades. Your best chance at killing the enemy is to strike first and without grenades you'll have a problem there. Also you might want to consider dropping the Night Shields for more models if you can. The raider will be right up close to the enemy most of the time so the Night Shield will only be useful (maybe) turn 1 (in which case you are better off hiding it behind terrain anyway).

Actually only 1 model has to have plasma grenades to get the benefit (check the BRB). I've gone back and forth on night shields and in alot of games they have been life savers, but as they will all be in WWPs to start I can see your point, 3 nightshields can buy a good number of DE warriors

A little awkward for a unit. Assault units you generally want as big as possible for out numbering purposes (because you aren't going to be killing much any other way). Shooting units you generally want as small as possible to save points. Decide which is more important in the unit and add/subtract models accordingly.

This unit has been great for winning otherwise drawn out fights, or finishing off squads wounded from shooting, and the occasional MC or IC.

The first one is fine and the only problem with the second is the nightmare doll. The reason is that we care more about who goes first rather then which side we get. Also most tournaments make both sides of the map fairly equal and so it matters even less. In summary: The Nightmare doll is poop.

Your right, I misread it, its gone

Everyone loves talos :3 The ravager looks good but, again, I'm not the biggest fan of night shields.

General Comments:

I suggest you fit another haemonculi in (since you can take multiple as a single HQ choice and they act independently) and move the WWP from the sybarite on to it. Independent characters are great for WWP carriers since they can't be targeted unless they are the nearest to the unit firing. As it stands now, the sybarite squad is vulnerable to things like Lash of Submission which will pull them forward and get them locked in assault where they can't use the portal. Then you are left with a single portal left.
Wish I had another Haemie....but with the points saved I'm going to see if I cant add another 10 man DE warrior squad with SC.

THANKS!

·
Archite of Caerbannog
1,582 Posts
My comments are not much different than Toloran's and I want to really stress the idea of using another haemoculi for carrying the portal.

One more thing and I am seeing it quite often with a lot of lists so hopefully more than 1 or 2 people will see what I am trying to say, again:

Plasma grenades CANNOT be used with scissorhand - scissorhand references the poison blade description and it specifically says you cannot use the plasma grenades in conjunction with poison blades, end of story. So charging into cover you are going to strike last - in the open you will strike in initiative order.

This is why I keep saying this HQ is really meant for shooting and try to keep him out of close combat. However, I do like giving this guy a haywires as he has a good chance to survive the explosion as well as I have no problem sacrificing this kind of HQ to a predator, loaded rhino or whirlwind (he's a cheap HQ that shoots and deploys the wwp well - beyond that take out any tank you can and sacrifice him).

·
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like I need to find another haemie model, and thanks for the heads of on the Plasma grenades/scissorhands thing. Never made the connection myself and the last thing I want to do is cheat someone, even unwittingly.

·
Registered
225 Posts

actually im just 1-2 points under the limit, and he has almost always managed to get his points back and way more.[/quote]

I've always ran under the philosophy of "Less is More" in that redundancy is nice but in the long run (IMO) you are generally better off putting the points elsewhere.

As to the lords points going over limit: I recalculated and got: t.helm, trophy rack, C.drugs, s.field, g.talisman, p.nades, reaver jetbike = 99pt. Agonizer, p.weapon = 35pts. So again, depending on whether you count weapons towards your limit you are either well over or barely under. I've seen many opinions on this matter (I say they do count, I believe wiki says they don't) and have yet to find a large consensus so I suggest asking the tournament coordinator.

Actually only 1 model has to have plasma grenades to get the benefit (check the BRB). I've gone back and forth on night shields and in alot of games they have been life savers, but as they will all be in WWPs to start I can see your point, 3 nightshields can buy a good number of DE warriors

On the grenades issue: Again, I've seen multiple stances on this issue. Generally the consensus is either: Example (wyches vs marines. only succy has grenade).

A) Succy goes first and then wyches and marines go at the same time.
B) Succy and wyches go first and then marines go.

Generally people who have fought me say A and those who haven't say B (other DE players generally say B as well). Regardless of which it is, it is a good idea to give them ALL grenades since a single sniper could take out JUST the succubus and then your whole unit loses the benefit.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was reading a battle report from a Necron player about this 1863 event. Was it your force Gardeth that was mentioned in the report? The Nec dude complained about the horrorfexes rules. He didn't enjoy failing the leadership roll! The DE player ran him really close but in the end the Nec player grabbed the win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.