Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is actually a backup in case I decide to play WOC instead of my HE.

I really need help with WoC though, as they are a new army for me. This is my first true attempt at making a list.

Heroes
Exalted of Khorne: Juggy, Flail, Bloodcurdling Roar (Goes with Knights #1)
Exalted of Tzeentch: Chaos Steed, Sword of Might, Collar of Khorne, Shield (Goes with Knights #2)
Sorcerer: Dispel Scroll x2 (Goes with Warriors #1)

Core
Warhounds x5
Warhounds x5
Marauder Horsemen x5: Musician, Flail
Warriors of Slannesh x11 (#1): Rapturous Standard, Shields
Warriors of Slannesh x10 (#2): War Banner, Shields

Special
Knights of Khorne x5 (#1): Banner of Rage
Knights x5 (#2): Musician, Standard
Knights x5 (#3): Standard

Rare
Hellcannon

Total Pts: 1996
PD: 3 DD: 3

I know this list is greatly lacking in magic but I'm trying to make up for it with a big offensive punch with all the knights. The Hellcannon will fire for the first round or so, and then I'll try to get that bad boy into combat if possible. Warrior units will Anvil. Marauders will flank. If I needed more units, I could have one of the exalted's (probably the Juggy) leave that unit and go on a killing spree on his own as a rear/flank charger as he can add a major punch all by himself..

If anyone has any suggestions, pile them on.

·
Schemer
481 Posts
Okay, apply a pile a salt when you read my comments ;)

Heroes:
You need a BSB, especially if you want to run Warriors as anvil. If you are new to chaos and which to use warriors alot I have 4 words for your: Banner of the Gods. Your warriors will sometimes fluff their attack and that will spell their doom. My motho with warriors is hope for the best, plan for the worst.

The Juggy hero is about as strong as a chaos lord. He also has the drawback of being utterly hard to control if your opponent can bait you. Bloodcurdling roar is useless on him (keep it for a disc rider where you have the maneuvrability to use it). Flail is a nice option, but my favorite is still the sword of might + enchanted shield combo. 35 points that grants you a -1 Sv (yes negative 1, means you use 2+ against str5 hits!) and 5 S6 attacks! If you feel aggressive, axe of khorne is a pretty nice option since you are bound to challenge heroes.

Mount your sorcerer on a barded steed, best 16 pts you can invest in him. 2+ Sv, a warrior stat line and S4 horse makes him about as dangerous as a champion.

Core:
Warhounds: perferct number, no more no less. You'll find so much use for them you'll want to you start fielding a third unit. Then they start to cluster fock you.

Horsemen: good choice, I had some success at tacking out war machine with this configuration. Don't count on them for a flank charge, your opponent will get free combat resolution killing them. If you want them to hit, use khorne + flail (they hit hard and are expendable).

Warriors: pretty standard. Keep the BSB near rapturous to maximise your chance of break thest (and even then Murphy's law strikes me to often). If you can manage the points, I suggest getting around 15 warriors. That leaves you with extras to suck up shooting damage. After a couple of games, even if you don't see a lot of combat, you'll be surprise how great they are at point denial. Another thing you could also try something like 15 warriors + 25 marauders (sorcerer in marauder is a better option... do you hit the WS5 T4 2+ Sv sorcerer or the WS4 T3 4+Sv marauder... hmmm).

Special:
Knights: 3 units. #1 is good, #2 is also good, #3 could be replaced with dragon ogres to deal with tin cans and chariots (S7). #3 is screaming for a musician.

Don't try anything fancy with only one frenzied knights units. Your opponent will try to bait your juggy hero wherever he is. I suggest to use this knight unit in the middle of your units where you have enough units to deal a serious counter charge if you get baited and charged.

Rare:
Hellcanon: a little bit slow but a nice hammer unit if you use him along with your slow warriors.

·
All Cav WoC General
693 Posts
Mark of Khorne and Banner of rage is pointless, drop the mark, the banner makes them frenzied forever, mark of khorne then doesn't benefit them in any way. Nurgle is much better in this case.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark of Khorne and Banner of rage is pointless, drop the mark, the banner makes them frenzied forever, mark of khorne then doesn't benefit them in any way. Nurgle is much better in this case.
I'm sorry, they actually didn't have the Mark i accidentally put them down as that because they had frenzy from the banner of rage.. my bad.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
To dapredator66:

Great suggestions! As for the banner of the gods, what do you suggest i take out to free up the points? that's a LOT of points to free up in an already low model count army.

Changed the Exalted to have Ench Shield and Sword of might. Sorcerer now has steed. Added the Mauraders and put Sorcerer in there... but the Dragon Ogres? I don't own them or regular ogres yet. only Trolls.

In friendly games, I run Throgg and I have a Shaggoth which I usuallyuse as Kholek, as well and a ton more warriors, marauders and knights left over and another hellcannon. i usually run 2 hellcannons in a 2000+pts game, just so you know what I have left to work with.

Edited List:

Unlimited Pts - Warriors of Chaos Roster

1 Exalted Hero of Khorne (General; Mark of Khorne; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Frenzy) - with knights
1 Juggernaut of Khorne (Causes Fear; Magic Resistance (1))
1 Sword of Might
1 Enchanted Shield
5 Chaos Knights (Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear)
1 Banner of Rage

1 Exalted Hero of Tzeentch - Collar of Khorne (Mark of Tzeentch; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer) - with knights
1 Chaos Steed
5 Chaos Knights (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear)

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Marauder Horsemen (Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Flail; Fast Cavalry)
5 Warhorse

11 Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh (Mark of Slaanesh; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield)
1 Rapturous Standard

1 Chaos Sorcerer (Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor) - With marauders
1 Chaos Steed
1 Dispel Scroll
1 Dispel Scroll
1 1. Fireball
25 Chaos Marauders Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield

5 Chaos Knights - Standard Bearer

1 Hellcannon

Total Roster Cost: 1958

·
Schemer
481 Posts
First of all, the banner of the gods is very effective with warriors because they are resilient and come in decent numbers. Right now you have 3 units of knights and these excel in close combat but lack the numbers to fully use this costly banner. Don't get me wrong, knights are very though to kill, but once you're down to 2-3 knights, being stubborn won't help you that much. Each knight you loose diminishes your combat efficiency. A unit of 12 Warriors however, can loose half of its men and will not loose it's efficiency in close combat since you still have a full rank.

Now, if you really want the banner, I suggest to use 2x6 knights and dump the third unit. This leaves you with 140 pts to spend. Also, if you want an equivalent to warriors, but able to keep up with knights, you can use naked dragon ogres with the banner of the gods. These guys have 4 wounds and can suck a lot of damage. If you make them stubborn they become a ridiculously good anvil unit. This last idea is not really a suggestion as you don't have the points for both the banner and dragon ogres without sacrificing something big (and I would clearly keep 2x6 knights right now).

Another suggestion is to not use all of your hero inside knight units and I have two reasons for this. The first reasons being that your warriors could benefit more from the BSB hero. Warriors have S4, having an extra 4 S5 attacks will make a difference in combat. Secondly, this makes your BSB a lot more difficult to kill and a lot less likely to be hit: he has 1+ Sv vs 2+ Sv for the other guys around him, you can use a champion in the unit to accept and launch challenge - effectively nullifying the eye of the gods rules - and you will get the look out sir nearly all the times against lucky canon/stone thrower shots.

You might already have thought of that, but I'll say it anyway. Since you are using banner of the rage, your opponent will not know which knight unit is frenzied until you place your juggy hero in it (and even then you might decide to put him elsewhere). Think about this when you make your deployment and don't tell your opponent they are frenzied until they need to make a psychology test or you have a small doubt you are in charge range with the knight unit.

My last suggestion would be to change the magic item on your BSB hero. While your setup is quite good, it is also a defensive one. You could also just get a 50 pts weapons and let the 1+ Sv be your only defence (quite good actually!). My favourite weapons is to take the Axe of Khorne. There's nothing more satisfying than chopping out the head of a full plate, regenerating character... and when you're not fighting characters you still have S6 and negate armour save on killing blow hits.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ok, a little change up and I came to this! I really like the look of this list!

1 Exalted Hero of Khorne (General; Mark of Khorne; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Frenzy)- With Knights
1 Juggernaut of Khorne (Causes Fear; Magic Resistance (1))
1 Sword of Might
1 Enchanted Shield
5 Chaos Knights (Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear)
1 Banner of Rage
5 Chaos Steed

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Chaos Warhounds

5 Marauder Horsemen (Musician Mus; Hand Weapon; Flail; Fast Cavalry)
5 Warhorse

1 Exalted Hero (Battle Standard Bearer) (Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Battle Standard Bearer)- With Warriors
1 Chaos Steed
1 Banner of the Gods
14 Chaos Warriors of Slaanesh (Mark of Slaanesh; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield)
1 Champion of Slaanesh (Mark of Slaanesh; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield)
1 Rapturous Standard

1 Chaos Sorcerer (Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor)-With Marauders
1 Chaos Steed
1 Dispel Scroll
1 Dispel Scroll
1 1. Fireball
25 Chaos Marauders (Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Hand Weapon; Light Armour; Shield)

6 Chaos Knights of Nurgle (Mark of Nurgle; Musician Mus; Standard Bearer Std; Barding; Hand Weapon; Chaos Armor; Shield; Causes Fear)
6 Chaos Steed

1 Hellcannon (Causes Terror; Large Target; Unbreakable)
3 Crew (Hand Weapon; Heavy Armour)

Total Roster Cost: 1999

Thanks for the help! What do we think now?

Reactions: dapredator66

·
Schemer
481 Posts
Definitively better. I can still give you comments, but they really just reflect my taste and are clearly options for you to evaluate. The funny thing is I did a similar list, here is the link (http://www.librarium-online.com/for...t-list-2250-valhalla-knights.html#post1527805). Maybe you'll find some interesting comments on how my play testing worked.

Drop the rapturous standard if your using the Banner of the Gods or at least put it in the nurgle knights. My reasons are simply based on probability. Look at this mathhammer table: http://www.librarium-online.com/for...-chaos-tactica-work-progress.html#post1365329. Stubborn at ld8 + bsb means you have 92% of making the break test. If you add the rapturous, that's 95% (essentially 5,5 and 6,6 combination added). It is overkill to combine both on a single unit imho. If you use it, use it in the nurgle knights and keep the bsb within 12".

My last suggestion would be to use the juggy hero in a unit of 6 even if this means keeping 1 knight in a second row. I propose two options: switch one knight from the nurgle unit or dump rapturous standard, one warrior and one marauder. You'll have a frenzied unit that's is not really maneuverable and that can't wheel easily. That's actually a double edge weapon because you are more difficult to bait (or at least only the exalted will get baited), but if done right you can have a lot of difficulties getting the unit the right track again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts