9 Phoenix Guard
- Musician
- Standard
- KotF
- Amulet of Light
- The Gem of Courage

5 Shadow Warriors

RBT

I made this list for fun, but I am psyched enough to try it at this year's conflict. The aim was to make an offensive army able to withstand magic. Caradryan helps the Phoenix Guard in this regard as well as acting as a character/big creature killer, whilst the KotF makes the unit tougher to break and stronger in combat.

I will use the White Lions to flank. They too have some magic resistance. Meanwhile, the archers and RBT will peg at the enemy from afar and the shadow warriors (nearly impossible to hit at long range) will attack from an advanced position and spend the match trying to avoid cc.

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
what is a conflict army? Are they fighting amongst themselves? Aren't all armies meant for conflict?

Caradryan drop him like it's hot - this guy is overpriced and can't fight his way out of a wet paper bag, he won't kill a creature/character until you've died yourself and gotten lucky rolling on a D6, and giving up his points to do so ~ which is not worth it. Whatever big creature/character you're afraid of will just destroy the rest of your army first so that you lose the game first.

Noble
- Sacred Incense drop everything and get either Reaver bow w/hvy armor and great weapon or armor of caledor and great weapon
- Enchanted shield
- Longbow
- Light armour

10 Archers

10 White Lions
- Guardian lion banner would be better, if you need a banner. I would put the gem of courage here since the leadership is lower.
- Musician
- Standard
- Banner of Arcane Protection

9 Phoenix Guard
- Musician warbanner and numbers would be better
- Standard
- KotF
- Amulet of Light
- The Gem of Courage

5 Shadow Warriors reavers would be better for similar price

RBT
You need tons more numbers if you expect to stay on the field of combat for long. Otherwise, a shooty army will kill half your army before you get into combat. A fast army will run circles around you. I would either bulk up numbers or drop the banners and go MSU. You do not have room for 2 characters in a 1k army.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Firstly, thanks for the reply. Conflict is an annual 1000 point GW tournament. Now, in order:

1) Dropping Caradryan: What should I replace him with? Special unit? Core? Different hero?

2) Reaver bow: How do I use it effectively? No-one seems to have lone heroes anymore.

3) Lion Banner: How would you recommend I protect myself from magic without resistance?

4) Warbanner and numbers: Should I use the points from Caradryan here? Also, can you tell me... Do magical attacks negate the ward save of daemons/tree spirits?

5) Reavers: I don't have any! :(

I guess my main question is magic resistance. Without the Banner of Arcane Protection and Caradryan's three resistance dice, both the Phoenix Guard and White Lions are suddenly very susceptible to magic. Suggestions to remedy (excluding the addition of a mage)?

·
LO Zealot
2,610 Posts
Firstly, thanks for the reply. Conflict is an annual 1000 point GW tournament. Now, in order:okay - thought so - just never heard of it

1) Dropping Caradryan: What should I replace him with? Special unit? Core? Different hero? I would replace him with your general ( a noble, with whatever magic items you want) A cheap combo is Great weapon, Armor of Caledor. Another, would be great weapon, Reaver bow, heavy armor. In this low point game, you want him fairly inexpensive, since everything in the HE book is more expensive than say a human/orc/skeleton, etc and you will be outnumbered.

2) Reaver bow: How do I use it effectively? No-one seems to have lone heroes anymore. He doesn't have to be alone, he could join a unit, or the RBT or bounce back and forth. It is decent strength and he hits on a 2-3 usually. Shooting is really good a low point games

3) Lion Banner: How would you recommend I protect myself from magic without resistance?why do you need magic resistance? If you're only playing 1k, there shouldn't be much more than 1 or 2 spell casters anyway. Besides the undead, no army can really generate enough power dice to make and effective magic phase work anyway. You've got 2 dispel dice ~ use them to stop the important spell and let the others go. If they really have that many spell casters, you should be able to shoot and combat the rest of their measly army with your high elves. Magic = expensive and unproductive in low point games. Shooting = good bang for your buck, since all armies will be small at 1k.

4) Warbanner and numbers: Should I use the points from Caradryan here? Also, can you tell me... Do magical attacks negate the ward save of daemons/tree spirits?Yes. Warbanner is cheap combat resolution. Numbers, well, you're going to get shot at and you're going to lose some guys, so the more you can get and the more protected they are (ie. PG and WL are well protected naturally with armor/ward save) the better.
Yes, magical attacks remove the wardsave from Forest spirits and demons. They also wound ethereal creatures, which normal attacks don't. So the amulet of light is a decent item to take.

5) Reavers: I don't have any! :(For 5 points more you get guys on horses (good movement) with spears and an armor save. Bows are str3, so they'll kill very little, but if you don't have them, you don't have them.
These are just my opinions, and if they print up lists of the participants, then you could tailor your lists I suppose, but generally, the army with lots of guys and lots of shooting does well in small point games. Wood elves I think would excel in this enviroment as well as dwarves and empire. But if it's run by GW proper, there are probably a bunch of cheeseball fanboys with OTT lists entering as well, so you can only come up with a decent balanced list and hope you do well and can meet most challengers.

My idea for the list I proposed would be to kill the heavy stuff (warmachine crew or big nasty unit with your RBT and Reaver Bow) and then let the other stuff come to you. WL kill the heavily armored stuff and the PG take on their core. It depends on the enemy composition and what you want to do. You don't necessarily want to march with the reaver bow and you don't necessarily want him to hang out by himself, but hitting a lone character in trees is pretty hard for basic shooting guys. Magic can get him and ambushing units like scorpions can too, but he gets 3 str 6 attacks when charged, so he's not a total wimp. Or you could just go combat Armor of caledor and great weapon and march him up with the PG. Whatever you want to do.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts