Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well here is the latest addition to the 1k Sons commission I am doing, one of two defilers.

I was really at a loss when I started this beast. I pondered for a few days how best to achieve good quick results. First I tried airbrushing everything silver... but that produced mixed results, so I just took the tank brush to it and did silver washes, it took about three to get a solid coat of silver.

After that I tried a little experiment on the bottom of the torso and glazed it with tin, and WOW, I was amazed at how well it turned out! I was really afraid the glaze would react strangely with the metallic paint, but much to my surprise and wonder it worked beautifully. So needless to say the whole thing was glazed! All of it! Oh wait that is a lie, I did paint the searchlight lenses with one thin coat of yellow, but you can't see that here anyway lol.

For the purposes of the picture I blue tacced some of the model together so if you see a bit of blue tac in the pic ignore it, and also ingore that the banner pole is a bit askew, its blue tacced as well :)

Oh I should also mention that the torso is magnetized (by the owner) and I magnetized the missile pod, everything else that can move does.

Piccie time
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v83/NoRemorse/GW 40K/1kSonsDefiler1.jpg

·
Registered
125 Posts
no words for this

It looks amazing! The colours work so amazingly well. Great, great, great.... great job. Your blue is also very nice.

*reps*

p.s.
Fantastic...

·
Registered
551 Posts
That's truly amazing man. I love it. I just stared at it for about 2 minutes before I even thought about posting, actually it was more or less gazing at it.

*reps in hopes of somehow attaining a hint of that kind of skill*

·
Blood Boy
3,643 Posts
That's a very cool Defiler. I think my favourite parts are the blue areas. The blue you are using seems to be very clear and magical looking, which works for the Thousand sons. The meatl areas are good too, doing metal well without having to make it look super-rusty is hard.

I think though that you could include more of the blue. The lower body seems too metal to me. If yoh were to add some more blue in there the model would gain more depth. Also in the close-up of the battle cannon I think you could shade it more. The teeth of that daemonic head need a little watered down black to separate them from the metal around them. I do think the work you have done is very cool though, do more!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the great comments and critiques ;)

While indeed it looks good and a nice job on nnm metal, it's way too clean.
Actually those are regular metallics that have been glazed. As for the cleanliness that is due to having the exposure a bit too bright on my camera, but hey I still think it is a great shot.

I think though that you could include more of the blue. The lower body seems too metal to me. If yoh were to add some more blue in there the model would gain more depth. Also in the close-up of the battle cannon I think you could shade it more. The teeth of that daemonic head need a little watered down black to separate them from the metal around them.
I agree with you on both fronts. If I would have saw that before I finished the pice I would have done that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Very nice dude, can you post the rest of your army?

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
Wow... that is one nicely painted defiler! I love the blue parts, they look so... magical? Really fitting for a tzeench army, rep for you!

·
is coming out to play
991 Posts
That is some very nice painting wondered away from the blue a little bit though, but I like it.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Hi mate, this is presumbably to join the "jons 1K sons somewhere in the atlantic" army?

ok bits:

nice work, clearly.

Constructive criticism - the engine/exhaust area seems very clean, perhaps some (more?) black or brown galazes?

Generally - seems rahter lighter than the rest, I think although this appears to include the blue, it is infact the prolific ammount of silver on the model, I think I would like to see more gold on there to tie into the 1K sons and add some counterpoints

But nice work matey

·
Ancient Spacefarer
1,715 Posts
I think that the cleaniness of the model ties in perfectly with the 1K Sons army fluff, a clean defiler would make any SM commander gawk in surprise!

the blue breaks up the models nicely with crisp highlights and the gold just about tops it off. Nicely done, it's about time that the 'Sons get some heavy firepower (trust me, they need all that they can get)

;Y

*Smites NoRemorse with mighty daemonic hammer of insane dark blessings*

-Kai-Itza-

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.