Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the first Bloodletter I've painted. It still needs a few finishing touches. The photo isn't great, but not too bad.

All comments and advice please, anything that will help me improve! :)

·
Son of LO
4,529 Posts
Not too shabby..

One thing I've noticed though, you're painting to a reasonable level of colour detail, yet you aren't highlighting or shading very obviously. Both can really help you out.. For this model, trying brushing a little very watered down brown or black ink into the shadowy parts of the skin.. or drybrushing over the top with blood red, perhaps mixed with a little skull white too.. All your chains and metal bits should probably be black inked too.

GW tend to use quite extreme highlighting. It looks impressive from a distance, and can really give your army a little extra 'wow.'

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
I like the way you separated the different metals. That extra detailing goes a mile.

I think you should break the palette up a bit, maybe by using a contrasting colour somewhere. Like make his loincloth brighter.

And the eye...they are by far the most crucial detail on a model, the slightest mistake and the monster goes from scary to...less scary.
I never paint eyes(OK not real-in-the-face-eyes) since I know I lack the skill.

Other than this I can but agree with The_Giant_Mantis.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I've never really highlighted properly, not been sure how to.
I'll give it a go and post the results. :)

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Eyes are too big mate, and mantis is right, needs more highlighting but he is wrong on what to use, dont use white with red, it looks pink, to doo really deep reds, admittedly I layer, but if you just want to drybrush:

start at scab red, work to blood red and then part way to firey orange, then wash with red ink

·
Registered
214 Posts
Cheredanine said:
Eyes are too big mate, and mantis is right, needs more highlighting but he is wrong on what to use, dont use white with red, it looks pink, to doo really deep reds, admittedly I layer, but if you just want to drybrush:

start at scab red, work to blood red and then part way to firey orange, then wash with red ink
I agree, the white can really blemish the bloodletter's colour. Although your eyes seem a little big, that is something that can change and be improved on very easily.

Also, highlighting is very important with bloodletters, especially on the metal.
Also, try and wash it with red ink at the end.

Happy Painting
HPA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts