Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first ever 40K list, so I'm sorry if I made any stupid mistakes. After the advice I got here, I made this list. Comments and advice are appreciated

HQ

librarian
iron halo
power fist
bionics

Troops
tactical squad
sergeant
bolt pistol
power fist
9 space marines
1 melta gun
1 lascannon
7 bolters

tactical squad
sergeant
bolt pistol
power fist
9 space marines
1 plasma gun
1 missile launcher
7 bolters

total = 500

·
Registered
387 Posts
looks good for a first list maybe get rid of the powerfist on the librarian I dont think you need it. overall nice man8Y

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
This is my first ever 40K list, so I'm sorry if I made any stupid mistakes. After the advice I got here, I made this list. Comments and advice are appreciated

HQ

librarian
iron halo
power fist
bionics

Troops
tactical squad
sergeant
bolt pistol
power fist
9 space marines
1 melta gun
1 lascannon
7 bolters

tactical squad
sergeant
bolt pistol
power fist
9 space marines
1 plasma gun
1 missile launcher
7 bolters

total = 500
Overall, not bad. I like the power fists, and good job with using a plasma AND melta gun.If I had my codex, I'd check your math, but a couple things to remember:

1) Your sergeants and librarian need terminator honors to take equipment from the armory, and that costs extra. Worth it on the sergeants (power fists FTW!), and the libby needs it to add an attack and access the cool toys, but make sure you factor this all in.

2) Missile launchers and lascannons are classified as "heavy" weapons, which means they (and therefore, your entire squad) can't move and shoot with it in the same turn. Since these are long-range weapons, you might consider having only one squad with the heavy weapon, and ditch the big gun in the other squad(for now), using that squad to counter-charge, or run-and-gun. My choice, the lascannon. In a 500-point game, it's unlikely you'll face heavy tanks, and using this thing on infantry is like swatting a bug with a sledgehammer. There are better ways to do it, and if you DO find yourself facing a tank, you have a good chance of taking it out with the melta gun. Course, you have to get close to do it.

3) Most people will tell you to start out with a chaplain in 500 points, not a librarian, but I don't think it much matters on this scale. The power fist is a bit much for him, though, since he is more of a "shooty" guy than close combat. Bionics and Iron halo... meh, not bad if you have the points, but I'd get rid of his power fist. He'll most likely attach to one of your tactical squads, and you've got fists there anyway. Between that and the lascannon you'll save enough points to consider going with the epistolary version (if you haven't already), and maybe a second power for him.

·
Registered
177 Posts
1) Your sergeants and librarian need terminator honors to take equipment from the armory, and that costs extra. Worth it on the sergeants (power fists FTW!), and the libby needs it to add an attack and access the cool toys, but make sure you factor this all in.

No, the librarian doen;t need terminator honors to slect frpm the armouy. Terminator honors is only ghiev to Hq units for and attack and a possibly leadership bonus. They can already access the armoury

:drinking:

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought a close combat weapon meant anything close combat from the armory. Thanks for pointing out it isn't :D

I'll make a new list and post it up when it's done

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here's my new list:

HQ
chaplain (I'd like to use the skull helmet one)
master of sanctity
bionics
bolt pistol

troops
tactical squad
veteran sergeant
bolt pistol
power fist
9 space marines
1 melta gun
8 bolters

tactical squad
veteran sergeant
bolt pistol
power fist
9 space marines
1 plasma gun
1 missile launcher
7 bolters

total = 496

·
Ghost of LO
3,861 Posts
Since you are just starting your army, I would advise building for the future. However, it is a grim darkness that lurks in the future.

You may want to pick up a copy of the DA codex, even if you don't indent on playing them. For they will be the marines of the future. The space marine codex will be adjusted to the rules and point levels of other MEQ armies, such as the DA/BA/Chaos.

Anyway, currently it looks like your list has been guided for use with combat squads. So you may want to actually play DA rules for the next eh, 6 - 8 months, making the transition to space marines very easy for you.

I probably wouldn't even buy codex space marines at this point. Now, with the 5th edition rules coming out even sooner, its incredibly difficult to say what is tactically effective for space marines anymore.

How long do you indent on playing at 500 points? If you never intend to play at higher point levels, than the chaplain might be a reasonable choice, but if your going to be expanding to 1000 points, i feel its a bit wasteful to buy a chaplain without a jump pack - as chaplains will still likely be the assault class of the space marine HQ range, and the jump pack will likely remain the best way to delivering a charge.

HQ
chaplain (I'd like to use the skull helmet one)
master of sanctity
bionics
bolt pistol
There are a lot of rumors about HQs allowing some different abilities for normal space marines, rather than the trait system, it might be worth it to get a commander instead, although IMO he is the least useful HQ on the table top under the current rules - again this would be building for the future. But building on rumors can be dangerous.

You can't really go wrong with 2 tactical squads, but i wouldn't give them any squad markings just yet.

Give the army some time, at the moment it isn't very good, with the combat squad rules it will improve somewhat, but not a great deal.

Peace

·
übertyrant
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll probably keep it at 500pts for a while until the new rules and codex are released. That way I can paint my army and learn to play 40K in the meantime until 5th edition, and expanding my army then.
P.S. I don't like playing with unpainted armies at all, so I probably won't be playing too much for some time still.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.