Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, today i am finally the proud owner of my first ever non GW figure, a Wolfen from Rackham's Confrontation series.

I originaly found it online whlst searching for some cool alternative models for my Beasts of Chaos Minotaurs. I found Varghar (the Wolfen) though, and instantly decided he had to be my Beastlord.

Upon receiving the model, i open up the blister and discover that he comes with a profile card, as well as a full set of intro rules to the game system!

So i began to think... why on earth does GW have the monopoly on wargaming. High Street presence i guess, but when you look around there are far more companies, with better models, better service, and better games.

Many online based companies have regular updates and new models for each army, and the rules updates are free with new models, or downloadable. As opposed to GW who update each army and core ruleset every 5 years or so, make you pay to have acess to these changes, aswell as splashing out for the new models as your old ones are now obsolete.

Il seriously considering taking a read of my new, (Free!) ruleset for confrontation, and giving that game a go.

My Beasts will still be completed though, but thats because i love the models and army theme ive set up for them.

Im just wondering what others thoughts and opinions of other companies and games are? Are GW really the best? ...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well I have a liking for Privateer Press models (Hords) both the look of them and the feel of the game. And since GW are starting to outprice themselves from thier own market, as well as leaving players in the dark about way way to much (store changes) I have seen companies like this getting much more attention not only in gameing groups but in stores as well. GW have had hte lime light because they have a good marketing campain and the history - everyone has heard of them - thus they get by on that. Couple that with the fact that their painting group are better than many others, which in turn makes the models look more impressive.
As for "the best" I think they were for a very long time not only the best group, but hte most varied and most well known; today they are losing variety, losing thier great edge and losing profits -- going Ltd I think might have done far more damage than they gained in the long run - - they are far from finished, but they are no longer at the front.

(Ps - I like the Jhereg banner!)

and please tell how those rules go 0 I have never heard of this game before --- but those models!
darn I am never going to finish armies now!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I think it is weird that Reaper can put out really good metal minis for much cheaper than GW. I mean $10-$20 for one metal model? Repaer can put out the same quality and only charge $3-$9 for. heck even a ten man set of metals from Reaper is like $39. Now look at GW's new vampire counts cavalry that is $75 for 5 models. Sure the GW is for a game and Reaper really isn't, but still. If I was to play fantasy I know where I'd get a bunch of my metal character, lord and unit upgrade models from, Reaper.

·
Lord of Purple
933 Posts
Yeah, I recently bought some of the Reaper sophie models, and the quality level is equal, if not better than GW ones, and even with shipping from the US it still came to less than most of the GW stuff :0.

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
I think it is weird that Reaper can put out really good metal minis for much cheaper than GW. I mean $10-$20 for one metal model? Repaer can put out the same quality and only charge $3-$9 for. heck even a ten man set of metals from Reaper is like $39. Now look at GW's new vampire counts cavalry that is $75 for 5 models. Sure the GW is for a game and Reaper really isn't, but still. If I was to play fantasy I know where I'd get a bunch of my metal character, lord and unit upgrade models from, Reaper.
I haven't seen the VC cavalry models, but the key word is CAVALRY.

Many Warmachine cavalry units are similarly high-priced for a small number of models.

I'm exploring Warmachine now (I have a faction deck and the mercs deck), and pricewise it seems they are close to, if not identical to GW, however the REAL savings comes in the "real" army sizes.

I say "real" because, as many here know, you CAN play 40K with a 500-point army in a standard game (excluding Combat Patrol, Kill team etc.), but nobody does, at least where I play, and I've played at three different stores that are up to 100 miles apart. A 500-point army is the bare minimum, and most people wrinkle their nose at your "tiny" list and say, "well, I guess I can play you," but it's clear you better beef it up, especially if you want to play tournaments. At 1,000 points, my opponents cock their heads and say, "Yeah, that's not bad, but you oughta bump to 1,500." Some of the tournaments at these places are 1,850-point competitions, so it's pretty clear that while I CAN play a 500-point game, I'd better have 2,000 points if I REALLY want to be taken seriously.

By contrast, at these same places, nobody needs a Warmachine list bigger than 1,000 points, not even for tournament play. So, for roughly the same amount of money as a "real" 40K army, I can have TWO armies of respectable size in Warmachine. This, I tell my gf, is why I'm considering it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I haven't seen the VC cavalry models, but the key word is CAVALRY.
My point wasn't the unit it was the price for what you get.Best case scenario 5 metal vampires and 5 metal ponies = $75. That or 5 metal knights and 5 palstic ponies =$75.

Another company puts out miniatures of equal quality and you can get more for less. That is what I was going for. I was using the unit type as an example for the pricing. So calvary should be more expensive because it is calvary? That seems off to me, but I don't play fantasy.
I was only using them for an example. Models are models and GW is overpricing themsevles when other companies put out metals that are just as good. My opinion so rip it apart.;Y

·
Painting Machine!
2,668 Posts
My point wasn't the unit it was the price for what you get.Best case scenario 5 metal vampires and 5 metal ponies = $75. That or 5 metal knights and 5 palstic ponies =$75.

Another company puts out miniatures of equal quality and you can get more for less. That is what I was going for. I was using the unit type as an example for the pricing. So calvary should be more expensive because it is calvary? That seems off to me, but I don't play fantasy.
I was only using them for an example. Models are models and GW is overpricing themsevles when other companies put out metals that are just as good. My opinion so rip it apart.;Y
I believe that Canew's point is that the calvary model for the Blood Knight (metal model + metal pony) is large, much like a Warjack for Warmachine, which is comparably priced. Comparing these large metal models to Reaper's tiny metal models makes no sense. His point on the real savings (smaller armies needed) is excellent.

Tekore

·
Registered
163 Posts
I believe that Canew's point is that the calvary model for the Blood Knight (metal model + metal pony) is large, much like a Warjack for Warmachine, which is comparably priced. Comparing these large metal models to Reaper's tiny metal models makes no sense. His point on the real savings (smaller armies needed) is excellent.

Tekore
Ok I guess I missed that. My bad.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I have bought a lot of rackham miniatures too, and I don't play confrontation, but man, they do have several awesome miniatures. I read the rules, and I don't like them very much, but I'd need to see a game or two before deciding.

However, I'm not much into confrontation fluff, which is a nice part of the game for me. Also, whereas for my RPG I prefer medieval-fantasy ambientation, for strategy games I'd rather have sci-fi, so 40k it is for me! :)

·
709 Posts
So i began to think... why on earth does GW have the monopoly on wargaming. High Street presence i guess, but when you look around there are far more companies, with better models, better service, and better games.

Many online based companies have regular updates and new models for each army, and the rules updates are free with new models, or downloadable. As opposed to GW who update each army and core ruleset every 5 years or so, make you pay to have acess to these changes, aswell as splashing out for the new models as your old ones are now obsolete.

They don't anymore. GW got to be the king by being large enough to survive the ups and downs that wiped out most other hobby games over the years. Also, there really wasn't that much out there for a long time, and it was all obscure word of mouth type stuff. Recent years, combined with the interweb, have really opened up this market. Combined with the LotR, comic book, and derth of kids fantasy movie that have been so popular recently, I think there's been a real surge in gaming as a whole because of this.

Better models is debatable in my opinion. GW really does have some of the best stuff out there. Better service? GW customer support is still superb. True, the guys on the phone aren't always perfect, but it's damn better than anything you'd at a normal retail company. (Dell tech support anyone?) Better games, yes and no. GW has been around for so long that same problems aren't as easily fixed due to how it'd affect the fan base, tradition, etc. Also, for every model game that makes it, dozens more fail.

I am glad to see new games out, as compitition leads to improvement.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've bought some miniatures that are not from GW too, but I only do that because the models look awesome...Warhammer is still my favourite game.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I've used to work for 3 years for an independent store, we were selling GW and Rackham minis.
Some Rackham minis were very nice looking, but it's not the outlook of 2\3\4 minis what makes you chose to play a game. When I first approached WH40k I loved the background, the sci-fi ambient of some gaming tables, the sight of a completed army etc etc...
My store was the official seller (sorry if the word is not correct) of Confrontation, and our managers wanted us to promote it, since the company had a greater economic income from Confrontation, rather then GW products. After a few tries at Confrontation, I kept spending all my time playing 40k.

"Hey look! Confrontation is teh best,go play it!"
"Cool! But why do you play 40k all day long?"
"Erh...uhm...my Confrontation's army is still unpainted! (lie lie lie lie) "

I must admit that some minis look good, even better then GW, but the act of collecting a mini is completely different from collecting AND playing something you've spent your money and time on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.