Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
HQ - 453

1x Chaos Sorcerer w/ Mark of Tzeentch / Disc of Tzeentch / Dispel Scroll / Chaos Familiar / Enchanted Shield / Level 2 - 245
1x Exalted Hero w/ Battle Standard / Mark of Tzeentch / Scaled Skin 5+ / Shield / Dawnstone / Sword of Striking / Potion of Speed - 208

Troops - 606

14x Warriors of Chaos w/ Shields / Mark of Tzeentch / Musician / Standard Bearer w/ Banner of Swiftness - 273
14x Warriors of Chaos w/ Shields / Mark of Tzeentch / Musician / Standard Bearer w/ Banner of Swiftness - 273
5x Chaos Warhounds - xx
5x Chaos Warhounds - xx

Special - 464

7x Chosen w/ Mark of Tzeentch / Shields / Standard Bearer w/ Banner of Swiftness / Musician - 189
1x Chimera w/ Flaming Breath / Regeneration - 275

Rare - 468

3x Skullcrushers of Khorn w/ Ensorcelled Weapons - 234

Total - 1996

General Strategy - Strong infantry line consisting of tanky warriors and chosen that can survive burning through chaff to get to more choice targets further up the board. Warhounds and Banners of Swiftness help to ensure the line is maneuverable and the enemies movement is impaired, and the Exalted Hero BSB helps to ensure that the line does not falter. Skullcrushers flanking to either support the infantry line or target squishier targets further up the board. The Chimera exists to harass or kill siege engines, and then if it survives, to keep hunting units or help the front line advance. Meanwhile the general on a disc is debuffing enemies with Shadow / Tzeentch spells while giving his LD8 to the chimera, and is tanky and kitey enough to avoid major damage, and even if he does get into combat he isn't exactly a slouch.

What do you think? C&C more than welcome.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

1 - You shouldn't post the individual costs of items.

2 - Your costs are a bit off.

1x Chaos Sorcerer w/ Mark of Tzeentch / Disc of Tzeentch / Dispel Scroll / Chaos Familiar / Enchanted Shield / Level 2

-- He can't take the D. Scroll and the Familiar, both are arcane items. With only a 6+ ward this guy is begging to be shot up.

1x Exalted Hero w/ Battle Standard / Mark of Tzeentch / Scaled Skin 5+ / Shield / Dawnstone / Sword of Striking / Potion of Speed - 208

-- For an exalted BSB there's no better build than the unkillable, imo. With that said, if you want to go the route of a killy exalted/BSB then MoT is not really the way to go. MoT is only useful for the +1 to your ward save, if you don't have a ward save to improve then you're better off with MoN, imo. Personally I say - Exalted, Armor of Destiny (if your sorcerer takes the Tal of Pres that is), D. Mount, great weapon, BSB, Third Eye and Soul Feeder.

-- One too many units which aren't going to survive and you can only take a banner once per army. So you can't take the B. of Swiftness twice. Try a single unit of warriors at 20-24 with the FC and B. Swiftness. The rest of your core can come from dogs and a chariot.
7x Chosen w/ Mark of Tzeentch / Shields / Standard Bearer w/ Banner of Swiftness / Musician - 189

-- This unit does nothing. Nothing at all. IN addition you're taking a third B. of Swiftness, you can only take it once. Scrap this entire unit and use the points somewhere else.

1x Chimera w/ Flaming Breath / Regeneration - 275

-- Eh, your entire army is slowly walking its way down and this guy with his low LD is going to fly his way into trouble and off the board.

No banner or musician?
In red.

Reactions: jimmydadean

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice. Was not aware of the banner rule, so that will be something that I tweak, and I will certainly take a lot of advice. I appreciate it. But I have some questions if you don't mind.

With the MoT / Shield / Disc / Chaos Armor the Sorc is getting a 1+ Armor save and a 5+ (parry w/ MoT), is that correct? And the familiar is a chaos power / mutation, not arcane, so I am not going over points. Is that correct as well?

As far as MoT SB goes, it seems that he is indeed getting a better ward save with he parry save from shield and hand weapon (do magic swords still count as a hand weapon for the purposes of the parry save?)

Will warriors really die that fast in combat? I mean, with MoT / Shields they have high toughness, 3+ Armor Save, 5+ Ward Save. They still die pretty quick then?

Thank you for the advice! I will tweak the list to make it a bit better (and, you know, legal).

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Have to agree with Blackheart here - the list needs a little bit of work.
Make sure that you're well aware of your rules before you start writing up a list. BH already pointed out that you can't triple-up on the Banners, and can't double up on magic item types on one guy.

That Disc General needs a Wardsave that isn't going to get him eaten alive by cannons and handguns. Seriously. If you're going to fly solo, you need to have a good Ward. I'd throw him the "Unkillable" build, right out of the gates. Probably even Soul Feeder for good measure. He won't be winning any combats alone though - be warned. I'd get him off the Disc altogether, put him on foot with one of your Warrior blocks. If you want a flying general, take a Daemon Prince.

I really want to talk you out of your 14-strong Warrior units. That's entirely too small for them to be useful. Yes, you have a 6+ Ward and yes, you get a 5+ Parry, but against anything that ignores those, you're in for a world of hurt. Even with those saves, you're going to start suffering right out of the gates. I'm assuming that your characters join in for a solid 5x3 formation, but I've never had success with such small units.
There are two other problems with these units:
1) Losing a single model removes your third rank, and makes it pointless to have those extra bodies. You need to go wide with Warriors, not necessarily deep. At a minimum, get blocks of 18 so that you at least keep that third rank for more than just a single casualty.
2) These blocks aren't winning combat on their own, and they're going to have a hard time with Steadfast opponents. If you can't get the Crushers in to bail them out, they're going to stall. S4 is nothing these days. Halberds are a popular choice because they give us S5 and let us really gut our opponents' regiments. Sure, Tzeentch can take a beating, but they're not going to push through a fight on their own at all. They'll need a lot of help from the people around them.

The Chosen are a total waste - even as a unit from our book. The EoTG table is so hit and miss that it's hardly worth the extra roll. The extra WS is hardly worth it when our normal Warriors already hit most stuff on 3's and the difference between WS5/6 does not put people onto a 5+ to hit you back. Seven models are even worse off than 14, obviously.
Take the points that you've spent on these, and spend them on bulking up those Warriors regiments.

Your Chimera is Frenzied, with a 22" range requirement for tests to restrain his rage. That's no good man, his leadership is awful. He's going to tear off after your opponent's line infantry long before he just hops over it and start ripping up cannons. Typically, the only way that you want to run Chimeras is if you're running a Disc General, or a Daemon Prince to babysit them. Just like you don't run Trolls if you aren't fielding Throgg or keeping the general nearby. I'd knock out your Chimera for this list. Wait til you hit 2500 and can run a proper "Airforce" of 2-3 Chimeras and a Nurgle Death Prince.

On the bright side, Crushers are disgusting, and having 6 of them in a smaller game like this will probably net you plenty of wins, or at least keep you from getting tabled. The first upgrade I'd throw on them is a Musician, for sure. They need to be able to turn around after being forced to Overrun.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the help. I will admit I am still getting a grasp on the rules (for both the forums and game), though I hope I can firmly grasp both and be an active member of the community.

Ok - so stuff to take away before I tweak - lose the chosen, bigger (and maybe fewer) blocks of warriors, lose the chimera (though the idea of an air force is stupidly appealing to me), heavier ward save on the general, question putting the general on disc in the first place (I need to look into spellcasting while in combat for the validity of throwing him into combat with warriors). Legal rules issues (magic items and whatnot).

Thanks again!

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
COme on boys! Manners!

First off Jimmy, welcome to our little corner of the internet :) I hope you stay around, new members are always good! Any questions you have just ask, even if you need a page reference in the rule book or army book.

As Black Heart mentioned. You cannot 'double up' on magic items. This is explained on page 500 of the rule book so give that a read. Basically though, magic items are 'unique' so you can only have one of each per army. Also, in the section called 'Balance of Power' (same page) it says you can't take multiple items of the same 'type'. So, while the Chaos Familiar is a 'gift' it still says 'arcane item' in it's description so you can't take that and a Scroll.

As for your army, our good Captain and Blackheart covered pretty much everything. If you are just starting Chaos then I strongly recommend reading all the information in this 'thread' Link to thread. It has a break down of every unit at our disposal and lists the better options for each unit as well as a few tactics on how to use them.

What models do you own anyway? It's all well and good us telling you what's the best but if you don't have them and don't have the funds to get them it's not going to be much help! So, do you have models you want to use and/or are looking at a certain budget?

·
Registered
815 Posts
Thank you for the help. I will admit I am still getting a grasp on the rules (for both the forums and game), though I hope I can firmly grasp both and be an active member of the community.
My biggest suggestion is too look for and read army lists put together by Captain, Borak, Pinkus and the other top notch people around here. You'll learn a ton just from reading up, even if the lists/posts appear a little old it's still great info.

Reactions: jimmydadean

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah, that tidbit about the arcane item was very helpful, as well as the links to the guide. I am sure that I am about to spend a good deal of time there. As far as models that I own - I have 36 warriors, 10 knights, 9 chosen, and a little disposable income, so over the course of the next few months I want to buy supplements that will bring me up to a competitive 2-2.5k army. And thanks all for helping to bring a noob up to snuff. I do appreciate it.

·
Champion of Chaos
2,415 Posts
#1 most important advice. Make a list you like. Play it. Tweak it a little. Play it. Tweak it a little. Play it. Tweak it a little. Play it.

You just hurt yourself in the long run if you make 1 type of list this week and then play something completely new next week.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
#1 most important advice. Make a list you like. Play it. Tweak it a little. Play it. Tweak it a little. Play it. Tweak it a little. Play it.

You just hurt yourself in the long run if you make 1 type of list this week and then play something completely new next week.
Absolutely. I can't get games in as often as I'd like anymore, but the best lists that I've ever seen usually come from tweaking something that I wrote up a long time ago. If you can prod and tweak a list into fitting your style, you'll get a lot more out of your army. This is especially true of WoC. Our book isn't nearly as pigeonholed as some others are, so we aren't forced to take a "one list to rule them all" approach. We've got plenty of solid unit choices, and by striking a balance that fits you, you'll do a lot better than blindly following advise from the internet.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts