Librarium Online Forums banner

2,000pts. General Purpose List

595 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  karantalsis 
#1 ·
Dark Eldar: 2,000pts. General Purpose List

Hello folks, I'm a new Dark Eldar player. I'm very inexperienced at 40k, but have read quite a few posts to try and bone up. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Lord Ramon

HQ

Dark Eldar Archon - Plasma Grenades, Shadow Field, Splinter Pistol, Gruesome Talisman, Trophy Rack, Combat Drugs, Agoniser, Haywire Grenades [144pts]
+
Squad of 7 Incubi Retinue. Plasma Grenades, 2x Blaster. Raider with Disintegrator, Horrofex and Screaming Jets [281pts]

ELITES

Wych Squad of 10 Wyches: Wych Weapons, Plasma Grenades. 2 Blaster. Succubus with Haywire Grenades, Gruesome Talisman, Agoniser. Raider with Disintegrator, Horrofex and Screaming Jets [280pts]

TROOPS

Warrior Squad of 11 Warriors, 2 Dark Lance [108pts]

Warrior Squad of 15 Warriors2 Blaster, 2 Splinter Cannon, Sybarite with Gruesome Talisman, Haywire Grenades & Poisoned Blades [165pts]

Raider Squad of 5 Warriors, Blaster, Dark Lance, Raider with Dark Lance, Horrofex and Night Shield [130pts]

Raider Squad of 5 Warriors, Blaster, Dark Lance, Raider with Dark Lance, Horrofex and Night Shield [130pts]

FAST

Jetbike Squad of 5 Reavers, 2 Blasters [145pts]

HEAVY

Scourge Squad of 6: 2x Splinter Rifles, 3x Splinter Cannons, Sybarite with a Dark Lance, Archangel of Pain, Gruesome Talisman and Poisoned Blades [199pts]

Remaining points:
Webway Portal for the Warrior Sybarite, OR
Reaver Succubus with Agoniser, Tormentor Helm, Haywire Grenades, Plasma Grenades, Gruesome Talisman

See less See more
#2 ·
Lord Ramon said:

Hello folks, I'm a new Dark Eldar player. I'm very inexperienced at 40k, but have read quite a few posts to try and bone up. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Lord Ramon

HQ

Dark Eldar Archon - Plasma Grenades, Shadow Field, Splinter Pistol, Gruesome Talisman, Trophy Rack, Combat Drugs, Agoniser, Haywire Grenades [144pts]
+[
Squad of 7 Incubi Retinue. Plasma Grenades, 2x Blaster. Raider with Disintegrator, Horrofex and Screaming Jets [281pts]
have two warriors carry splinter cannons instead of incubi, also get a nightshield on the raider
ELITES

Wych Squad of 10 Wyches: Wych Weapons, Plasma Grenades. 2 Blaster. Succubus with Haywire Grenades, Gruesome Talisman, Agoniser. Raider with Disintegrator, Horrofex and Screaming Jets [280pts]
you do not need blasters in the squad, and you need nightshields
TROOPS

good
Warrior Squad of 15 Warriors2 Blaster, 2 Splinter Cannon, Sybarite with Gruesome Talisman, Haywire Grenades & Poisoned Blades [165pts]
agoniser instead of poison

you do not need lances, an agoniser would be beeter, take down as many as u can with I5
FAST

agonisers
HEAVY

Scourge Squad of 6: 2x Splinter Rifles, 3x Splinter Cannons, Sybarite with a Dark Lance, Archangel of Pain, Gruesome Talisman and Poisoned Blades [199pts]
lance isnot needed
Remaining points:
Reaver Succubus with Agoniser, Tormentor Helm, Haywire Grenades, Plasma Grenades, Gruesome Talisman
nice list, you get plenty of anti tank, too much. the blasters in assault squads take away from their cc capability, for extra points you might want a warp beast pack.
also trust me agonisers are a whole lot better than poison, good luck

#3 ·
Whilkst I agree with some of orkimedes comments I have to disagree withothers primarily I have to say nightshield on raiders ana utter waste of time as they will be near the enemy and therefore won't gain the protection from shooting granted by the night shields.

Lord Ramon said:

Lord Ramon

HQ

+
An agoniser is a waste in an incubi squad as the targets that require an agoniser are too tough for the incubi to wound a punisher armed lord is bette rin an incubi squad. Haywire grenades are a waste on your HQ. More than about 5 incubi is a bad idea as they will kill anything they charge in one turn then get shot at, it is better to kill all but one or two of the enemy in your turn and be able to kill the rest in his. Blasters are a waste of points on incubi as you take away their punisher, which means they don't have power weapon attacks, which is pointless. Screaming jets are not good in a command squad as deepstriking means you can't assault and you don't have any worthwhile guns and will simply be shot to bits. Two warriors with splinter cannons would be good.

Lord Ramon said:
ELITES

The screaming jets and the haywire grenades are not worth it, for the same reasons as your HQ, only more so because wyches are far more fragile. The blasters I think are a good idea as you only lose one normal weapon attack to take each one and you gain a powerful shot on the charge.

Lord Ramon said:
TROOPS

Drop a warrior from each squad you don't need them

Lord Ramon said:
Swap the P. Blades for an agoniser, I wouldn't take the haywire grenades, but there not AS bad here.

Lord Ramon said:

Never ever take a dark lance on a raider squad a they can't fire if they move, either make this a gun boat by taking a splinter cannon or an assault boat by taking a splinter cannon AND a sybarite with agoniser. Night shields are OK for gunboats, but you still really need to get close to the enemy so are not really advised.

Lord Ramon said:
FAST

These are fine tank hunting units. Don't get them into combat, without a succubus they are not worth using in a fight. If you add the succubus from your extra points section to a squad give it a power weapon instead of an agoniser as an agoniser takes away the +1 strength granted by the bike.

Lord Ramon said:
HEAVY

Your sybarite can't have a dark lance. In addition dark lances are a bad idea on scourges as you cannot move if you want to fire. Furthermore scourges are not worth taking unit you have used all your heavy weapon allowance everywhere else asthey are nore expensive and less survivable than warriors. Generally a waste of points.

Lord Ramon said:
Remaining points:
IF your going to take a portal take two.

ARe you going to be faicng an armoured company or something you have gone overboard on anti tank and underspent on assault and anti infantry shotoing, especially if you intend to use a webway portal.

#4 ·
Rebuild after feedback

Dark Eldar Army List: 2,000pts – 2,000pts. General Purpose List

Firstly, thanks very much for the feedback. It was all very useful. Below is my rewrite, having considering said feedback.

Karantalsis said not to take Blasters for the Incubi, as they would lose their Punishers. I must admit I looked at this at length before considering the Blasters. What concerns me is that GW often say replace or exchange one weapon for another, and also say may be armed with, which does not necessarily mean replace.

Characters are certainly allowed to be armed with 1 two handed, and 1 one handed weapon, but is there text anywhere clarifying what non-Character troops can have? As it stands, the Incubus would keep his Punisher, and have a Blaster as well (which is a bargain at 6pts).

Look at the picture of the Shredder in the DE Codex, and compare the trigger and trigger guard with that of the Splinter Rifle and Pistol. This shows just how small a Shredder can be. Certainly the actual models are quite large, but I think there’s quite a lot of artistic license in the designs of the Shredder and Blaster. When you see those two weapons modelled for the Reaver Bikes, you can see that GW have used the same basic design for the foot troops too. A real pistol sized weapon wouldn’t have looked right on the bikes.

Note also, that the Assault Weapon Wyches are modelled with both Shredder or Blaster and CCW in their other hand. I think it would be easy enough for an Incubus to carry his Punisher in one hand, and to fire a pistol style weapon in the other, slinging it round his back when entering combat.

Oddly some non-character troops can have more weapons. For example, a standard Chaos Marine can have a Bolt Pistol, CCW and a Heavy Weapon, Meltagun, Flamer etc.

Anyway, on with business .....

HQ

Dark Eldar Archon: Plasma Grenades, Shadow Field, Splinter Pistol, Gruesome Talisman, Trophy Rack, Combat Drugs, Agoniser [140pts] <or with Punisher and Tormentor Helm>
+
Squad of 6 Incubi Retinue: Plasma Grenades, 2x Blaster, 3 Warriors, 2x Splinter Cannon. Raider with Disintegrator, Horrofex and Night Shield [304pts]

Haemonculus with Splinter Pistol, Scissorhand, Plasma Grenades, Gruesome Talisman, [35pts] with the Wyches
Haemonculus with Splinter Pistol, Scissorhand, Plasma Grenades, Gruesome Talisman, [35pts] with the large Warrior squad

ELITES

Wych Squad of 9 Wyches w/Splinter Pistol, Wych Weapons, Plasma Grenades, 2x Blaster, Succubus w/Gruesome Talisman, Trophy Racks, Agoniser. Fleet of Foot. Raider with Disintegrator, Horrofex and Night Shield [279pts]

TROOPS

Warrior Squad of 10 Warriors w/2 Dark Lance [100pts]

Warrior Squad of 20 Warriors, 2 Blaster, 2 Splinter Cannon, Sybarite with Trophy Racks, Plasma Grenades, Splinter Pistol, Agoniser [225pts]

Raider Squad of 8 Warriors w/Splinter Rifles, Blaster, Splinter Cannon, Raider with Dark Lance, Horrofex and Night Shield [167pts]

FAST

Jetbike Squad of 5 Reavers, 2 Blaster [145pts]

HEAVY

Ravager with 1x Disintegrator, Horrofex and Night Shield [130pts]

I’ll try the Archon with Punisher and with Agoniser in a few games, then finally decide. As they are the same points, it’s not a problem, and I’ve costed in the Tormentor Helm already.

I’ve added another Warrior DL squad, with the loss of the Scourges. I’ve always felt they where too expensive, and you guys have convinced me of that.

I think that the Night Shields on the Wych and Incubi Raiders will both help them get into a useful position, and keep the mini-gunboat alive afterwards. For example, rapid Bolters 10� away, count as 16� away, also weapons like Plasma pistols, Flamers and Meltaguns have a harder time attacking me.

My first 4k army was Chaos, and these DE guys feel really fragile. It looks to me that we have to take the battle to the enemy, although with so much BS4, gun lines do seem appealing.

Thanks again,

Lord Ramon

#5 ·
Lord Ramon said:
Dark Eldar Army List: 2,000pts – 2,000pts. General Purpose List

Firstly, thanks very much for the feedback. It was all very useful. Below is my rewrite, having considering said feedback.

Karantalsis said not to take Blasters for the Incubi, as they would lose their Punishers. I must admit I looked at this at length before considering the Blasters. What concerns me is that GW often say replace or exchange one weapon for another, and also say may be armed with, which does not necessarily mean replace.

Characters are certainly allowed to be armed with 1 two handed, and 1 one handed weapon, but is there text anywhere clarifying what non-Character troops can have? As it stands, the Incubus would keep his Punisher, and have a Blaster as well (which is a bargain at 6pts).

Look at the picture of the Shredder in the DE Codex, and compare the trigger and trigger guard with that of the Splinter Rifle and Pistol. This shows just how small a Shredder can be. Certainly the actual models are quite large, but I think there’s quite a lot of artistic license in the designs of the Shredder and Blaster. When you see those two weapons modelled for the Reaver Bikes, you can see that GW have used the same basic design for the foot troops too. A real pistol sized weapon wouldn’t have looked right on the bikes.

Note also, that the Assault Weapon Wyches are modelled with both Shredder or Blaster and CCW in their other hand. I think it would be easy enough for an Incubus to carry his Punisher in one hand, and to fire a pistol style weapon in the other, slinging it round his back when entering combat.

Oddly some non-character troops can have more weapons. For example, a standard Chaos Marine can have a Bolt Pistol, CCW and a Heavy Weapon, Meltagun, Flamer etc.

Anyway, on with business .....
Assault weapon wyches and incubi as far as I am aware cannot be armed with their satandard armament in addition to the blaster, you raise an interesting point, but I'd check with the shop you play in how they rule on this matter. I know in a couple of tournamnets I wouldn't have been allowed to count them as having both.

Lord Ramon said:
HQ

Dark Eldar Archon: Plasma Grenades, Shadow Field, Splinter Pistol, Gruesome Talisman, Trophy Rack, Combat Drugs, Agoniser [140pts] <or with Punisher and Tormentor Helm>
+
Squad of 6 Incubi Retinue: Plasma Grenades, 2x Blaster, 3 Warriors, 2x Splinter Cannon. Raider with Disintegrator, Horrofex and Night Shield [304pts]
There is nothing wrong with this squad, as I said before though I would strongly advise the punisher option on the lord and dropping the night shield.

Lord Ramon said:
Haemonculus with Splinter Pistol, Scissorhand, Plasma Grenades, Gruesome Talisman, [35pts] with the Wyches
Haemonculus with Splinter Pistol, Scissorhand, Plasma Grenades, Gruesome Talisman, [35pts] with the large Warrior squad
These are ok except that the haemonculi cannot be armed with splinter pistols as these are not haemonculus weapons. Scissorhand count as 2 CCW anyway, in additon I would suggest adding one of the fine shooting weapons for the haemonculi to each, if you can scrape the points elsewhere.

Lord Ramon said:
ELITES

Wych Squad of 9 Wyches w/Splinter Pistol, Wych Weapons, Plasma Grenades, 2x Blaster, Succubus w/Gruesome Talisman, Trophy Racks, Agoniser. Fleet of Foot. Raider with Disintegrator, Horrofex and Night Shield [279pts]
I wouldn't take the night shield as this is generally as waste at close range as things will be in range anyway and for the points it is not helpful, maybe drop this in exchange for haemie weapons, otherwise a good squad.

Lord Ramon said:
TROOPS

I would suggest that this is overkill on the lance squads 2-3 is usually sufficient unless you think you will be coming up aginst and armoured company.

Lord Ramon said:
Warrior Squad of 20 Warriors, 2 Blaster, 2 Splinter Cannon, Sybarite with Trophy Racks, Plasma Grenades, Splinter Pistol, Agoniser [225pts]
This is good

Lord Ramon said:
Raider Squad of 8 Warriors w/Splinter Rifles, Blaster, Splinter Cannon, Raider with Dark Lance, Horrofex and Night Shield [167pts]
This is good, again the nightshield is dubious, but in a gunboat it can be beneficial.

Lord Ramon said:
FAST

Still good tank hunters.

Lord Ramon said:
HEAVY

Ravager with 1x Disintegrator, Horrofex and Night Shield [130pts]
I would reccommend either 3 dark lances, 2 Dissies and a dark lance (for extra movement in addition to multi use) or 3 dissies, this restricts the movement just as much as a 3 lance ravager without the benefit of 3 lance shots.

Lord Ramon said:
I’ll try the Archon with Punisher and with Agoniser in a few games, then finally decide. As they are the same points, it’s not a problem, and I’ve costed in the Tormentor Helm already.
Thats fair.

Lord Ramon said:
I’ve added another Warrior DL squad, with the loss of the Scourges. I’ve always felt they where too expensive, and you guys have convinced me of that.
I agree with this sentiment, but would have added another combat oreinted warrior squad instead as you have one hell of alot of tank hunting power already, possibly andother gunboat or amalgamate two of your lance squads (leaving two) to make a 15-20 man splinte cannon squad with blasters and syb (possibly and agoniser, depending on squad size)

Lord Ramon said:
I think that the Night Shields on the Wych and Incubi Raiders will both help them get into a useful position, and keep the mini-gunboat alive afterwards. For example, rapid Bolters 10� away, count as 16� away, also weapons like Plasma pistols, Flamers and Meltaguns have a harder time attacking me.
Flamers don't as the night shield does not interact with templates (tournament ruling, best I've got as rules don't specify) Melta guns will tkae you down anyway and if you are 10" from a squad with rapid fire weapons they will move up to shoot you in rapid fire range, which doesn't help you, if you are out of rapid fire range they probably won't move anyway as few people have the brass neck to walk towards DE, this is my experience the points are better spent elsewhere, excep perhaps in the case of the gunboat. Try it out and I think you'll find the same.

Lord Ramon said:
My first 4k army was Chaos, and these DE guys feel really fragile. It looks to me that we have to take the battle to the enemy, although with so much BS4, gun lines do seem appealing.
Gun lines are not that good, but fast mobile gun forces are, I'll be posting such a list shortly (as in next few days) if you wish to take a gander and see how DE shooting forces can be constructed.

Lord Ramon said:
Thanks again,

Lord Ramon
Hope that helps.+

#6 ·
Thanks again for the feedback

As you're probably aware when you see my lists, I am both inexperienced, and presumably over worried about armoured columns. Locally I've seen lots of younger guys with SMs and Tyranids, and guys in their 20+s with Chaos & Imperial Guard, though in truth there's alot more players out there I haven't seen yet.

My natural concern is also for dealing with big nasty dudes (HiveTs, Carnifex, Daemon Princes etc), so, because of there good value for money, I'm very attracted to the 10man DL squads, for general use.

I can see that I'll likely playing too safe, but also feel that's not so bad as a newbie. What I'll do is try as much out as I can, including other people's lists where I can make them up.

So far I have 4 Raiders/Ravagers (I'm modelling in such a way that I can use them as either), 10 Reavers, 10 Wyches, 7 Incubi, 10 dual role Grots or Mandrakes, 1 Talos, and 80 Warriors. As I'm into heavy conversions, I'll soon have 1-2 more Talos, and intend to be able to play WWP army lists.

I'm certainly interested to see how my point on weapon load-outs pan out, and will contact GW for general clarification. I think many of players assume much, and often don't necessarily really read every word of their Codexes carefully. As I mentioned, there's a big difference between replacing weapons, and adding them.

Once, again thanks for your help

Lord Ramon.

P.S. I'm based in Merseyside, in the U.K. if there's any players out there looking for a game. I can be contacted on 'manorr2001@yahoo.com'.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.