Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A potential list I have come up with just wanted to advise on what u think as I have just started play wood elves with some success and wanted to. Branch out to 2.4

Spellweaver: Talisman of Preservation; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Shadow; Asrai longbow

Spellsinger: Level 2 Wizard; Lore of Fire; Asrai longbow
Spellsinger: Level 2 Wizard; Lore of Death; Asrai longbow

10 Glade Guard: trueflight arrows; musician; standard bearer
10 Glade Guard: arcane bodkins; musician; standard bearer
10 Glade Guard: trueflight arrows; musician; standard bearer
5 Glade Riders: hagbane tips

6 Deepwood Scouts: hagbane tips
5 Wild Riders: Wild Hunter; musician; standard bearer
5 Wild Riders: Wild Hunter; musician; standard bearer
14 Wardancers: musician

8 Waywatchers
1 Great Eagle
1 Great Eagle
8 Waywatchers

2,398 points

Thank for reading

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
You normally play at 2k? I ask, because it looks like you might be stretching a bit to hit 2.4k, namely because you've got lots of characters in that list who are not your BSB. Three L2 Wizards are going to starve each other for dice. I also have no idea why you would go with Fire/Death Wizards at all. If you're going to run so many Wizards, then I would go with Light and have yourself a Coven. Give a L1 a Scroll, give another a Channeling Staff, and then just take the sig spell on both of them.

Shadow makes sense on your L4 because you have a lot of S3 and shooting in your army, so the Tough-Debuff would work well. Metal isn't a bad option though as well, if you'd like to try it out. It helps us deal with armor. All the wounds in the world are going to mean very little if your opponent is hiding behind a 1+ Armor Save (Chaos armies do this a lot).

Also, I think you've got your arrows a bit mixed up. Give the Deep-Woods the Trueflight arrows, so that you can make use of their ability to shoot and march without penalty. It makes for very accurate, very mobile shooting to base your defense around. The Glade Guard should grab up the Hagbanes, so that you can get early T1-2 kills on big poisonous beasties. The bigger units make better use of poison. Your Deepwoods are going to average 1 Poison hit per round of shooting - that's not really worth much when you're plucking away at a Stegadon or Hydra.

The only other thing that pops out at me are the Glade Riders because of their mandatory Ambush deployment (come in T2+ from random edge), which makes them a bit useless as Chaff or as a dummy-drop in deployment.
The other standout are your War Dancers. Why? What role do they fulfill in your army. I've never had much success with them, nor have I seen anyone who has, so I can't really recommend them and it doesn't exactly smack me in the forehead and say "they do this for me!" So I just want to ask why you've taken them.

Also, your regiments seem a bit small. For the bowmen, that's alright (though I'd cram more Scouts into the list, perhaps) because you want cheap units who do their shooting and then are cheap/expendable enough to use as stop-gaps for the rest of the battle. The Dancers and Wild Riders though - they seem a touch small. Particularly the Wild Riders. I'd run your 10 in a single regiment to make the most of their hitting power. You don't really have any solid combat regiments to bounce off the flanks of, so I would be looking to get a solid charge from my Wild Riders and hopefully kill off and route the units that I've weakened with my shooting.

Otherwise though, your list looks pretty bog-standard in terms of cherry-picking the good stuff in the book. Waywatchers are cruel, Deep Wood Scouts are solid, Glade Guard Core is probably the best option we've got, and you picked a solid lore for your L4, with Eagles to handle your redirection needs. If you're not playing the bleeding-edge of optimized lists, this army should do pretty well for you, without being an absolute nightmare for your opponent to play against.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have to agree with cap here I personally run 18 glade guard with hag banes and level 4 metal. I then take 2 units of wild wood rangers lead by a branch wraith each 2 treemen 5 wild riders with noble on great stag helm of the hunt spear shield bsb.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
DK - there's another thread in the Wood Elf section asking about Wild Wood rangers. Pop over and reply? I did, and said that most folks won't use them, but I don't have any direct experience with them on the table. Figure it would be good to have someone who actually knows how they play. Don't derail this thread, just go and answer that one, please.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks for your feedback to your question I've only played 1k games, from your suggestion, would it be a wise move to rejig the arrows a bit combine my wild riders, drop the glade riders in favour for bigger glade guard units, also drop the war dancers in favour for what?. And maybe drop a wizard in favour for a bsb? If I was to optimise the list what would urge suggestions be for that

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
if you want to optimize Level 4 metal in a unit of sisters that gives you a level 4 and a level 2 also a good way to hide your level 4. Hag banes are thus far the best preforming arrows and are best combined with with the lore of metal. The true shot are good on glad riders and scouts.

In terms of wild riders i can't remember are they monstrous cav? if they are not keep them seprate and dual charge as the second rank only gets one attack. I would personaly as i like him my self just have one unit of 5 wild riders with bsb on great stag helm of the hunt, hail arrow (the one does 3D6 attacks), shield spear. I find this guy works quite well with the wild riders. and helps keep the frenzy in check, support them in combat by doing curse on their opponents.

As for war dancers depends on what you need i personally would drop your rare and take 2 treemen with strangle roots. Then if you want a unit that takes punishment treekin unit that deals it wild wood rangers with branch wraith and shadow dancer. you have loads of scouts tbh i find them situational and would rather leave war machines to great eagles or warhawk riders wich are alot better in this edition but still need light armour shield but they can be brilliant at war machine and small unit hunting i proxied some the other day they are quite good as long as the don't get shot.

hope this helps the best thing is to test stuff i play with loads of lists consttently proxying and try new things just to try optimize a little bit more :D

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
You don't want big units of Glade Guard - they're just there to get their shooting and then hide or die. If you drop the Glade Riders, take another unit of Glade Guard in their place, and if you're playing tournaments etc, use the extra points to get a few more banners into the list (everyone but GG first, then GG).

I keep my L4 in my Deep Wood Scouts. She can march and cast spells, so there's no harm in putting her there. The enemy will focus a lot more on them, which can hurt, but getting them into combat is hard. I'm not a huge fan of the Sisters, to be quite honest. Their spells aren't exactly magnificent, so you're really only taking them for the Ward. I'll admit that they make a better home for the L4 if you pay to give her a horse, but I never liked including units who didn't fulfill a dedicated offensive role in my list. So that's my personal take on it.

I'd put the Deep Woods together into a unit of 10-12, and then drop the third unit of them.

The Wild Riders are up to you. In small units, don't expect them to win fights against enemy rank-and-file. The return attacks will kill them off in a hurry. That's why I suggested bulking them up. However, DK's suggested highlighted that they are good as support and anti-chaff units, as well as being great for taking off those last 10 wounds on units that you've shot into the ground (charge, win combat, overrun). I think that the real problem here is that I wasn't seeing anything that would hold a candle in close combat. You need something to keep your list from being overrun as soon as the enemy gets across the table. Treemen are excellent for this, but decent sized units of Treekin can do it as well. I haven't really tried Wild Wood Rangers yet, because I'm still angry that they should have been a Core choice. I'd use your War Dancers and the dropped Scouts to get one of those units into the list.

I don't have a problem with Waywatchers, because I play Chaos and I've seen what they can do to units like Skull Crushers and the like. However, Lore of Metal goes a long way towards edging WWs out of the army, because now you don't need to ignore the 1+ Save on Crushers - you just hit them with a spell that wounds them on a 2+ and ignores armor. It's Lore of Metal, take your pick.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Yeah I agree they should be core and the wild riders should be monstrous cav with tough 4 and 2 wounds. Tbh even though they had the strength drop I think tree kin are still your best bet for a combat block decent save 6++ 3 strength attacks you can take 12 of them or 11 with bsb in there :) and the champ tree to take challenges.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help I shall look into getting some combat units into the list in the, potentially in the form or treekin or something like u said I'll have to play test some things and ill deffo try lore of metal

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, just for the Deepwood Scouts, these buddies with Haghbane tips in a unit of 14+ are the best machine hunters I've seen. You cen deploy them anywhere you wish to and with their 14+ range 30 poison shots per turn you can devastate enemy artillery fast. Their fragile, yes, but enemy machines have always better targets.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
That's what Hagbane Glade Guard are for though. You can still stand them "toes on the line" with their 30" range and hit anything that isn't deployed in the back 6" of the table. Plus, 30 Deepwoods is expensive for just grabbing a unit to deal with Warmachines. I won't deny that they're effective - you're right about that, but the problem is that if you're using Deepwoods for Hagbane tossing, what are you fielding in your Core? No army wins the game on shooting alone, so somewhere you need units capable of dishing out some damage, and ideally, capable of tying up enemies which can't be killed easily with shooting or combat (hordes of Skaven, etc). The best options for this are in the Rare and Special sections, not Core. So if you have to fill your minimum Core either way, you can see why Deepwoods get pushed to the curb in most lists.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Absolutely agree. Thats why i wrote 14+ unit, more precise is 14-18 unit. In core I prefer to play a bunker of Dryads and up to 18 Glade Guard wich are deployed on some nice hill with StarfireShafts in their quivers. which combined with thise Deepwoods do nice against Trolls and similar b*tch*s with regeneration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts