Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This list stemmed from three things. One - I have 36 warriors I am not doing anything with and suddenly learned that having MSU of warriors is generally not the best thing. Two - it is fairly cheap to acquire (relative to GW prices that is). Three - read the lore for Festus, loved it, and liked getting a 5+ without shield / tzeentch and having 24-36 high strength poison attacks a turn (any math on poison halberds vs extra hand weapons would be awesome, I know the guide says halberds are better but I am having a hard time understanding why. I apologize for the lack of knowledge).

HQ - XXX

1x Daemon Prince w/ Chaos Armor / Daemonic Flight / Daemon of Nurgle / Level 4 / Scaled Skin / Sword of Striking / Charmed Shield / Dragonbane Gem - 490

1x Exalted Hero w/ Enchanted Shield / Battle Standard / Mark of Nurgle / Biting Blade - 160

1x Festus the Leechlord - XXX

Core - XXX

28x Chaos Warriors w/ Mark of Nurgle / Halberds / Musician / Aspiring Champion / Standard Bearer w/ Banner of Swiftness - 567

5x Warhounds of Chaos - XXX

5x Warhounds of Chaos - XXX

Special - 1020

10x Chaos Knights w/ Mark of Nurgle / Ensorcelled Weapons / Musician / Standard Bearer - 470

1x Chimera w/ Regeneration / Flaming Breath - 275

1x Chimera w/ Regeneration / Flaming Breath - 275

Total - 2,497

Grand Strategy - Bum rush the hell out of everything with the warriors. Try to avoid chaff with banner of swiftness and puppies, or burn through them quickly with both high strength and high volume of poison attacks. Siege engines, wizards, and other nasties that target my block can not be allowed to live, so I send my Daemon and Chimeras against any threat that can whittle down my death star of warriors from a distance. The Chaos Knights are very survivable with the Mark of Nurgle and can flank, screen, or harass depending on my needs.

Please note that I am still getting the hang of the game and trying to get a feel for Warriors of Chaos as an army. I gladly welcome any C&C and look forward to hearing from you.

·
Fanatic
882 Posts
You could do with trying to find the points for the exalted to be a BSB, dropping the dawnstone would work but he could also do with a ward save. I know he will have a 5+ regen but that will not cut it if people focus on him. It is also easier said that done to kill off all the war machine and wizard on the table before your warriors get in combat. Most people know how to deal with a Daemon prince now, shoot with something week like archers, then blast him with the big stuff, once that happens the chimera will most likely run away and not rally. This will leave you will the problem of having no Lvl 4 and no general. So be careful while this list has a lot of meat to it, it also have some issues that a small amount of play testing will solve.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah right right right. He was intended to be a BSB. Thank you for pointing that out to me, I shall edit that right away.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
I like this list mate, it looks nasty!

Personally, I'd split the Knight unit into 2 units of 5. I don't like Knight buses, I used to run one and it never performed well. You have 225pts sitting in the back rank of that knight unit and all they're doing is giving you 5 str 5 attacks. Is that really worth it? If you lose one model then those models are really doing nothing for you.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Sigh. Math time I guess. What do you want to swing at? Firstly, let's just assume 12 Warriors, 6x2 (supporting attacks) with either Halberds, or AHWs. We'll pit them against my two favorite targets: Empire Staties (WS3, T3, Sv5+) and our fellow Chaos Warriors.

AHWs vs. Staties
24A - 16Hits - 10.67W - 8.9W after saves

Halbs vs. Staties
18A - 12Hits - 10W - 10W (no saves)
--

AHWs vs. Warriors (T4, Sv4+ nothing special)
24A - 12Hits - 6W - 4W after saves

Halbs vs. Warriors
18A - 9Hits - 6W - 5W after saves

Generally, unless you would normally ignore armor with your base strength, or the target is T7+ without an Armor (or an ignored armor) the Halberds are going to do a better job. This is typically true of any unit with a choice between +1A or +1S (so for example: 1S6 White Lions tend to be better than 2S5 Swordmasters). You need to have more than double the number of attacks before you begin to offset the difference. Unfortunately, base 2A, only gaining +1A per supporting attack, and only gaining +1A from AHW makes this difficult. Within the same mark (not counting MoK vs. MoN or anything) you won't get the advantage with Chaos Warriors.

Now checking the same stats with Poison:

(P)AHW vs. Staties
24A - 12/4Hits - 8/12W - 10W after armor

(P)Halb vs. Staties
18A - 9/3Hits - 7.5/10.5W - 10.5W no armor

(P)AHW vs. Warriors
24A - 8/4Hits - 4/8W - 5.33W after saves

(P)Halbs vs. Warriors
18A - 6/3Hits - 4/7W - 5.83W after saves

The same rules apply with Poison - if the target has a higher toughness requiring 6's to Wound, or if the target has no effective armor, the AHWs are going to do a better job.

It's just a Warhammer rule of thumb, you always take the +1S if you have access to it. The exception obviously, is with a Greatweapon, because that tosses in the monkey-wrench that is ASL. On slow units who typically strike last already, Greatweapons are certainly worth it. Otherwise, for faster units like Warriors with their I5, the cutoff is Halberds or Ensorcelled Weapons (for our Knights, etc).
--------

As for the rest of your list, and "Airforce" like that is definitely not a particularly friendly way to play.

Otherwise, I agree with Borak that you should split your Knights.

Additionally, that is a huge unit of Warriors. Remember that in many cases, MoN is equal to adding about 17%W to your regiment (people go from hitting 50% of the time, to 33% of the time, so those 28 Warriors are going to "feel" like ~33 models on the table. That's a big unit. I certainly hope that you're not going with a "horde" formation here, as that unit will be very unwieldy. I'd rather see you drop those Warriors down to about 22 guys, plus your command. You could even get away with going with as few as 19 and fielding them 7x3. Typically, you want units of at least 15, once joined by characters. I prefer ranks at 6 wide, so my minimum is 18, and I typically boost to the 21-24 strong range for added surety (although less often with MoN/MoT than with MoK/MoS, because of the survival boosts). You need a few bodies to soak up the shooting and magic while you slog it across the table, but if you invest too heavily in your Warriors you're just going to overspend. We pay for our attack capabilities, and those extra attacks, so every guy standing in the back picking his nose or tossing a rock, is wasted potential.
If you could scrounge the points, tossing a Chariot or two into the army would definitely work. It would give you more options for clearing down chaff, and Chaos Chariots are plenty capable of handling larger units by themselves, plus giving a nice dose of support to your "second wave" Warriors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts